We’ll have plenty of room to re-sign our own players

turtle28

On 2/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, Woz said:

That Anderson looks to be a bust of a pick.

Preston Smith being better than Ryan Anderson != Preston Smith is worth re-signing at the price it will take

Because a guy with the nearly the same number of snaps that he received (Pernell McPhee) was much better at doing his job than Ryan Anderson was.

Just because they are on your roster now does not mean they should be on the roster in the future. You need to evaluate the cost of re-signing them/keeping them in relation to the value they give you. Smith on his rookie deal? Seems to have been worth it, especially the past season. Smith as a high priced free agent? Not worth it. Anderson on his rookie deal? Right now, not really worth keeping around (if he had been a 6th or 7th round pick, he'd probably be out of a job right now).

Anderson didn't get snaps, we have no idea if he would’ve been nearly as good as a second-year player as McPhee was if we hadn't signed McPhee which, arguably we shouldn’t have.  I would have rather seen Anderson get those snaps and if one of our starters had gotten hurt, we could've signed Galette.

My hope is that is Smith is gone on a big money deal to somewhere like the Raiders that we re-sign on a deal that makes sense for both sides maybe like a $2 million base salary with incentives in it if he gets double-digit sacks where he earn another $2 million in a bonus if he does.

1 hour ago, Skinscavalier said:

I have a great idea! Trade any older players we can for draft picks, let free agents go and acquire compensory picks, have the worst record next year and draft a franchise QB next year. That way we hopefully have Allen & Jay fired, a new GM and HC and starting salvaging this wreak of a team.

It's a great idea and I think most of us would do it, but Allen, Doug and Jay won't because it's their behinds on the line.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, turtle28 said:

1. Those kind of pass rushers don’t grow on trees. Hence why I didn’t want the Redskins to let Orakpo walk after 2013. Rak should’ve been signed long term before he was ever franchised in 2013. If he wasn’t  franchised, we wouldn’t had more cap room to improve our S positon, OL and DL for that season. We’ve had two better than good edge pass rushers we’ve drafted since 1994 - Kerrigan & Orakpo and one we let walk. Not the greatest track record, almost as bad as our QB & WR track record.

1. The waters between the franchise and Orakpo were bad enough that they needed him to go elsewhere.
  2. Given the amount of money he would have commanded here versus his production, it would have been a waste.
  3. Let it go, man. It's done with.

2. We can’t change the fact that Anderson was drafted and would most likely just be Kerrigan’s back up, but I called it when we drafted him.

No, you are the only person I know that is calling this. YOU are changing the fact of where Anderson was positioned for.

I also don't recall you calling that he was Kerrigan's backup. I do remember most of us throwing our hands up in the air for taking an outside linebacker when a premium prospect at ILB (Zac Cunningham) was available, though.

3. Anderson makes $1.4 million this year, maybe that’s too much for a back up special teams guy but it’s not killing our cap either.

Not maybe, is. Especially for a guy who is a part time special teams player.

It was a botched pick.

On 2/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, mar29020 said:

id like to keep smith because letting him go just creates another hole and we will have to draft an OLB AGAIN! 

At what price though? Are you comfortable with paying top market value for Smith?

On 2/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, turtle28 said:

Anderson didn't get snaps, we have no idea if he would’ve been nearly as good as a second-year player as McPhee was if we hadn't signed McPhee which, arguably we shouldn’t have.  I would have rather seen Anderson get those snaps and if one of our starters had gotten hurt, we could've signed Galette.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018-snap-counts.htm

So, we got a nearly equivalent look at Anderson on defense as McPhee. He was found wanting.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:08 AM, turtle28 said:

My hope is that is Smith is gone on a big money deal to somewhere like the Raiders that we re-sign on a deal that makes sense for both sides maybe like a $2 million base salary with incentives in it if he gets double-digit sacks where he earn another $2 million in a bonus if he does.

Wait, what?

He signs a deal with the Raiders that somehow we re-sign? Huh?

This is some good discussion on Anderson.  While I'm leaning towards him being a bust, how much of that can we credit to him primarily being the backup for Kerrigan, while playing a good bit on special teams, while also having to attend some offensive meetings during the week as FB and having to be ready to go when they need him on offense.  Ultimately, that's what we have to weigh, but I'd like to think a 2nd rounder would have gotten a chance by now even with those other circumstances in the background. 

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I missed a word there. Obviously a key one, Galette.

Ah.

That said, Galette was considering retirement last year (since he wasn't getting any attention from any team). I think that ship has sailed (411 total snaps in four years).

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This is some good discussion on Anderson.  While I'm leaning towards him being a bust, how much of that can we credit to him primarily being the backup for Kerrigan, while playing a good bit on special teams, while also having to attend some offensive meetings during the week as FB and having to be ready to go when they need him on offense.  Ultimately, that's what we have to weigh, but I'd like to think a 2nd rounder would have gotten a chance by now even with those other circumstances in the background. 

1. Again, I ask: where is the evidence he was a backup to Kerrigan on the left side, instead of on the right side?
  2. Why is a second round pick backing up a long time stalwart player?
  3. Why can he not get full-time snaps anywhere?
  4. And yes, the bolded. Why hasn't he?

3 hours ago, mar29020 said:

any decent OLB will command a top contract.

So, $12M AAV? That would be 5th highest amongst 3-4 OLBs (and $0.2M more AAV than Kerrigan). $13.3M to get 4th (above Clay Matthews)? I have to think that the $16.8-$17M AAV required to get above Justin Houston (3rd) is a bridge way too far for Smith to hope for.

Kerrigan's contract for 2019 will be 7.19% of Washington's cap space. From where I sit, Smith isn't worth an equivalent amount but that's just me. Where's your line in the sand?

Archived