boswell

3rivers

does he get replaced before the pats game, get another week or make it until seasons end?

This is another one of colbert's mistakes,  but to his defence, bos was good, I just didn't understand paying a kicker this much.  Where is Gary Anderson or Matt Bahr or  Sushi or Jeff Reid if he isn't misbehaving 

Chris Boswell is currently 36th in the NFL in made field goal percentage and 37th in made extra point percentage. This is important to remember because, as you probably know, there are only 32 teams in the NFL. Sample size explains this to an extent. There are kickers who are one-for-one in both categories this season. But when there are more players ahead of you in kicking stats than teams in the NFL, you probably aren't having a great season. After all, teams generally have only one kicker at a time. The closest to doing something well this season that Boswell has come is ranking 26th in kickoff yardage average. Again, there are only 32 teams.

1 hour ago, muncher said:

the guy sucks but if it wasn't for tomlin needing a scapegoat to take the spot light off him for his idiocy, he'd be good to go for the rest of the season

pro bowler last year, gets new deal and is the worst. Has there ever been such a shift in one season? I would like to know what happened, other than that raiders turf kick, because he was top tier last year.  This is the biggest shock of the season for me and this team. 

7 hours ago, muncher said:

the guy sucks but if it wasn't for tomlin needing a scapegoat to take the spot light off him for his idiocy, he'd be good to go for the rest of the season

Your obsession with blindly bashing Tomlin is comical.  Where have we seen that before? 

The sad truth is there are very very few kickers who are consistent year after year.     Even alot of pretty good kickers who had long careers had down years here and there.

I dont know if Boswell can bounce back this year, but I could see him returning to form next year....even if its with a different team.   

I dont know whats going on with Boz or why he is suddenly struggling so bad....but Id personally prefer to TRY to keep him until the end of the season, replace Danny Smith, and then see if anything improves going into next year.   Maybe get a UDFA kicker to compete for the job.

Even with Boz's struggles, I dont think there are many better options out there.   Maybe short term due to Boz's confidence being shot, but going into next year, I still think Boz might be our best option.

Bottom line, Id be very hesitant to cut Boz right now.    

33 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Your obsession with blindly bashing Tomlin is comical.  Where have we seen that before? 

What’s funny is making out a kicker who rates so low he’s outside the range of starters a “scapegoat” like he’s only missed 1 kick. 

As for Boz. It feels very law of averages. He made a lot of last second kicks. Won us 4 games last year. He’s directly lost us 3 this year 

9 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I don't like the idea of signing Kickers to "big" contracts. They are too streaky and I think the contract gets in their head. With that said, there weren't many Kickers better then Boz prior to the extension so I do get it (to a degree). 

Boswell was something like 3 kicks away from getting to the 100 kicks required to be considered the 2nd most accurate kicker in NFL history when he signed the contract. He wasn't good on kicks over 50 at all, but he was almost a lock for kicks under it. IDK what happened to him but it really sucks because I liked him as a kicker and obviously him sucking is costing us games.

55 minutes ago, warfelg said:

What’s funny is making out a kicker who rates so low he’s outside the range of starters a “scapegoat” like he’s only missed 1 kick. 

As for Boz. It feels very law of averages. He made a lot of last second kicks. Won us 4 games last year. He’s directly lost us 3 this year 

Every post that guy makes is anti Tomlin...even when the topic has nothing to do with Tomlin.  Not the first time we've seen that.

Boswell is having a terrible year.    I dont know whats going on with him.   I thought maybe he got over it after a rough start, but apparently not.

Still, wouldnt go as far as cutting him just yet....but he might not survive the season if he isnt pretty much perfect the rest of the season.

Just now, TXsteeler said:

Or Boswell is sucking to cover for the rest of the team.

This hasnt been the same team since the Broncos game.    We completely beat ourselves that game.    And I think the Chargers game where the refs basically gifted them 14 points just destroyed our teams will.

This team is in all around turtle mode...from top to bottom, coaches and players.    They went with playing with the utmost confidence while on the 6 game win streak, and crashed hard, and dont seem to know how to get out of the rut. 

3 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

His new contract makes him hard to cut.  If we want to bring someone in it will have to be at the expense of a roster spot then look to cut Boz in the offseason.  

I agree, but as I said, Id be hesitant about cutting him unless we know we've found an upgrade.   Id bring in someone to push him in the preseason, and then go from there.

Archived