Jump to content
Jaguarfan

Week 15: Kessler v Sanchez? Johnson??? JAGS R-WORDS GDT

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Typically, yeah...you'd think a coach gets a bit of extra leeway after finally getting the Jaguars back to the playoffs and basically half a game away from the Super Bowl.  Even if this year doesn't go well.

But at this point, the way this team is playing, the teams they're losing to...i think you have to legitimately wonder if it's gone too far down that road to actually bounce back next year and have the team come into camp ready to actually battle and go to war for Marrone again.  If it's as bad as it looks externally, i just don't see how you can bring back a coach that this team can no longer buy into.

After yesterday I agree. But prior to that, with the QB play and vast amount of injuries, I thought the likelihood was low. 

I saw Caldwell getting canned and Marrone having a 2nd shot with new coordinators. That may still happen and I'd understand it, but after losing to Josh Johnson...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

After yesterday I agree. But prior to that, with the QB play and vast amount of injuries, I thought the likelihood was low. 

I saw Caldwell getting canned and Marrone having a 2nd shot with new coordinators. That may still happen and I'd understand it, but after losing to Josh Johnson...

Losing to who? 

I don't see any way that anyone lets this slide. If we were a playoff contending team with a 10-3 record (or something along those lines) coming into this game against Josh Jonson and we took him lightly and he got the best of our team because we were slacking, you might let it slide, but our team has been unprepared outside of 1 game. No adjustments, no consistency, and it seems the coaching staff have no clue what they're doing in this era. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Typically, yeah...you'd think a coach gets a bit of extra leeway after finally getting the Jaguars back to the playoffs and basically half a game away from the Super Bowl.  Even if this year doesn't go well.

But at this point, the way this team is playing, the teams they're losing to...i think you have to legitimately wonder if it's gone too far down that road to actually bounce back next year and have the team come into camp ready to actually battle and go to war for Marrone again.  If it's as bad as it looks externally, i just don't see how you can bring back a coach that this team can no longer buy into.

yeah I think the damage might be done I'm afraid. Especially if (when) we lose out, i feel like the team may quit on him. What that says about our players idk, but I don't know if Doug can come back from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also seriously I had seats pretty close up and I could smell the suck coming from our bench. This team is truly terrible. Would not pick us to beat any other team in the league. We just cannot score points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

 

Hyde is as good as gone for next year at this point.  Depending on who is fired (and who that means they can blame for it), they'll probably try to do it some other time when they can try to slip it in among some other transactions and/or bigger news so less people notice they straight up burned a 5th round pick for absolutely ZERO reason though.

If they look at a thing like that and ascertain that Williams is fine as RB depth for next year though, after some garbage time on the season runs...i'm going to be furious.  Literally not learning from the stupid lesson that they should, in the reasons they made that terrible reactionary trade for Hyde in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a 4th back...sure, maybe i guess.  Already seems better than that chump Wilds that they carried as RB4 into this season i suppose.  Wouldn't take this little stint while running out the clock on the season and project him into a role anywhere beyond that though.

Fournette seems to be continuing his pattern of getting dinged up.  You're going to use other backs behind him.  You have to go in expecting that RB3 is going to be a near-starter for at least a few games next year, if not more.  A tandem-type with whoever RB2 ends up being, when Fournette is out, given how much we're likely to still want to run the ball, volume-wise...to support whatever QB we settle on, be it a mediocre Vet or a Rookie.  Just like going into this year...considering how important the running game is a focal point for this team concept, you want 3 solid RBs deep, considering your injury-riddled starter, with good depth/insurance behind that too.

They didn't do that this year...and it showed, and also led to the stupid Hyde trade.  They went in 2 deep at RB, with a 3rd guy who was a niche player/specialist.  Instead of that, why not set yourself up with the quality depth in the offseason when you can't walk 3 yards without tripping over a competent RB floating around searching for work, so you don't have to make a reactionary trade for a guy like Hyde in season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Speedyg said:

Or you can start building your offense with Fournette as a non-focal point. 

 

It's not even about Fournette and whatever hate on for him some people may have.  This team...they want to build it to run the ball, control the ball, win the time of possession battle and let the defense get after it.  You want to divest yourself of a reliance on Fournette specifically as a focal point, sure.  But even if you're just trying to build something like the Saints or Rams have constructed...it all starts with a strong ground game.

Whether it's a mediocre stopgap veteran or a raw rookie under center, you're going to want a strong running game for them to lean on.  That's like, "making a QBs life easier 101".  That's how you help out a mediocre or inexperienced QB.  To do that, you need strong depth at the positions critical to that gameplan because injuries will happen.  Including RB.  Unlike this year...where they got halfway into the year and made an awful panic trade for Hyde because they suddenly realized their depth at RB wasn't very good and they had no viable backup plan for the unrealistic tone they wanted to set with Fournette pounding the ball 20+ times a game every game all year long.

At this point, Fournette is going to be our RB1 and there's really no reason for that not to be the case.  But along with that, you have to accept that he's developing a pattern of missing games.  Plan accordingly.  "Overbuild" your depth at that position accordingly.  Part of making Fournette less of a focal point in literally any possible scenario, is in assembling a cast of strong alternative options in the backfield.

Don't look at a guy like Williams appearing to be a serviceable #4/5RB depth player in garbage time of the season and say he'll be fine as RB3 next year.  Don't ignore that you can reasonably expect your RB3 to be an RB2 for a not insubstantial number of games next year.  Because Fournette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Tugboat said:

It's not even about Fournette and whatever hate on for him some people may have.  This team...they want to build it to run the ball, control the ball, win the time of possession battle and let the defense get after it.  You want to divest yourself of a reliance on Fournette specifically as a focal point, sure.  But even if you're just trying to build something like the Saints or Rams have constructed...it all starts with a strong ground game.

Whether it's a mediocre stopgap veteran or a raw rookie under center, you're going to want a strong running game for them to lean on.  That's like, "making a QBs life easier 101".  That's how you help out a mediocre or inexperienced QB.  To do that, you need strong depth at the positions critical to that gameplan because injuries will happen.  Including RB.  Unlike this year...where they got halfway into the year and made an awful panic trade for Hyde because they suddenly realized their depth at RB wasn't very good and they had no viable backup plan for the unrealistic tone they wanted to set with Fournette pounding the ball 20+ times a game every game all year long.

At this point, Fournette is going to be our RB1 and there's really no reason for that not to be the case.  But along with that, you have to accept that he's developing a pattern of missing games.  Plan accordingly.  "Overbuild" your depth at that position accordingly.  Part of making Fournette less of a focal point in literally any possible scenario, is in assembling a cast of strong alternative options in the backfield.

Don't look at a guy like Williams appearing to be a serviceable #4/5RB depth player in garbage time of the season and say he'll be fine as RB3 next year.  Don't ignore that you can reasonably expect your RB3 to be an RB2 for a not insubstantial number of games next year.  Because Fournette.

But Fournette is a rare breed of size plus speed. You are not going to find a backup for him while still retaining the same offensive philosophy of ground and pound.

You'll find a pounder, but he won't be a home run hitter (Hyde, maybe this Williams kid). Or you'll find someone who can make a guy miss and turn the corner with speed, but then he won't be able to grind out 3 yards like Fournette can.

That's what I mean by not "building around" Fournette.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

But Fournette is a rare breed of size plus speed. You are not going to find a backup for him while still retaining the same offensive philosophy of ground and pound.

You'll find a pounder, but he won't be a home run hitter (Hyde, maybe this Williams kid). Or you'll find someone who can make a guy miss and turn the corner with speed, but then he won't be able to grind out 3 yards like Fournette can.

That's what I mean by not "building around" Fournette.

 

You can find power backs.  You're not going to get another perfect Fournette duplicate, obviously.  There's a reason he was picked so high.  He has a very rare combination of traits.  But finding another back who can play that power game reasonably effectively shouldn't be that hard.  Especially while everyone and their dog is looking for these gadget backs to become the next spread invasion offense in the NFL instead.  Heck, a lot of people seem convinced Fournette is a total bust because it's apparently so easy to find backs who can do what he does or more, with later picks or UDFA flyers.  xD 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×