Yankees Will Probably Re-Sign J.A. Happ

ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not really, you're trying to talk about financial sense and smart ownership, and you can't do that without putting parameters on what that means. Are we talking:

1. Win more baseball games
  2. Expand the brand and grow the team
  3. Be profitable

Loria was really good at number 3, and really bad at 1 and 2. Whether you think that's good or bad ownership depends entirely on the goal of the organization. While Loria owned the Marlins, if you ranked all 30 teams by profitability, he'd be #1. But obviously, he was a terrible owner because he treated the team like a dividend-producing stock instead of a baseball team.

Signing a superstar like Machado/Harper makes the team less profitable (but still profitable, so it's not like you're talking about taking a loss or even needing to let go of other core players) and absolutely helps 1 and 2. This money either goes to the Steinbrenners or to the superstar you sign. There is no option where you get cheaper seats or a better deal on cable. 

And arguing that you should stay below the luxury tax and try to develop a prospect who won't be as good as either Machado or Harper is a really good strategy for 3, but not 1 or 2. I would argue, and so would mission, that the Yankees should prioritize maintaining their brand.

We might not have to get rid of "other core players" immediately - as many / some still have years of team control. But eventually you'll need to fit all the eggs into one basket - and that will be tough. Generally - or historically - what happens is some of the maturing / core talent moves on to higher contract offers by other teams. So you've affected overall team competitiveness.

I believe that by getting below the luxury tax this past year, the NYY have given themselves some breathing room moving forward. The % they would have been clipped at is now greatly reduced should they exceed it this year or in the near future - but - that relief wont be long lasting.

Lastly - I'm not talking so much about developing prospects - which I always considered a primary organizational function - one which the NYY were woeful at for a long time. No. I'm talking about paying for the "upcoming" players we've already got on the roster. Eventually it will be their time to get paid. (Read: AJ, Sanchez, Torres, Andujar......and alike).

Now - Sanchez may be doing the NYY accounting for them. If he doesnt reverse his batting average and hitting woes. He'll remove his own name from the "big payday" list. Least as far at the NYY will be concerned. You cant bat at 200 (or below) and be leading the major leagues in passed balls - and expect a superstar contract. I dont care how far you occasionally hit the ball - or how well you "frame" pitches. You're a hole in the lineup and a detriment on the field.

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

We might not have to get rid of "other core players" immediately - as many / some still have years of team control. But eventually you'll need to fit all the eggs into one basket - and that will be tough. Generally - or historically - what happens is some of the maturing / core talent moves on to higher contract offers by other teams. So you've affected overall team competitiveness.

I believe that by getting below the luxury tax this past year, the NYY have given themselves some breathing room moving forward. The % they would have been clipped at is now greatly reduced should they exceed it this year or in the near future - but - that relief wont be long lasting.

Lastly - I'm not talking so much about developing prospects - which I always considered a primary organizational function - one which the NYY were woeful at for a long time. No. I'm talking about paying for the "upcoming" players we've already got on the roster. Eventually it will be their time to get paid. (Read: AJ, Sanchez, Torres, Andujar......and alike).

Now - Sanchez may be doing the NYY accounting for them. If he doesnt reverse his batting average and hitting woes. He'll remove his own name from the "big payday" list. Least as far at the NYY will be concerned.

You'd be able to comfortably afford everyone. You wouldn't be able to comfortably afford everyone and stay perpetually below the luxury tax.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You'd be able to comfortably afford everyone. You wouldn't be able to comfortably afford everyone and stay perpetually below the luxury tax.

This is true.
I dont have a hard** for the team to stay below the luxury tax.
I do want them to stay sharp with their talent evals and maintaining a COMPLETE roster/lineup.

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Can it be done? Certainly.
Is it smart business practice or best for the competitive level of the team? I dont think so.

There’s a reason people in bum **** China wear Yankees hats.  It’s not because we do the smart thing is because we are ballers.  Or were.

And those Yankees hats in China are why we make $600m a year. 

9 hours ago, Leader said:

This is true.
I dont have a hard** for the team to stay below the luxury tax.
I do want them to stay sharp with their talent evals and maintaining a COMPLETE roster/lineup.

This I agree with. 100%

Machado and Harper are mid-20s generational talents and future hall of famers.  If we were talking about dropping crazy money on Hosmer last year for example I wouldn’t have been supportive.

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not really, you're trying to talk about financial sense and smart ownership, and you can't do that without putting parameters on what that means. Are we talking:

1. Win more baseball games
  2. Expand the brand and grow the team
  3. Be profitable

Loria was really good at number 3, and really bad at 1 and 2. Whether you think that's good or bad ownership depends entirely on the goal of the organization. While Loria owned the Marlins, if you ranked all 30 teams by profitability, he'd be #1. But obviously, he was a terrible owner because he treated the team like a dividend-producing stock instead of a baseball team.

Signing a superstar like Machado/Harper makes the team less profitable (but still profitable, so it's not like you're talking about taking a loss or even needing to let go of other core players) and absolutely helps 1 and 2. This money either goes to the Steinbrenners or to the superstar you sign. There is no option where you get cheaper seats or a better deal on cable. 

And arguing that you should stay below the luxury tax and try to develop a prospect who won't be as good as either Machado or Harper is a really good strategy for 3, but not 1 or 2. I would argue, and so would mission, that the Yankees should prioritize maintaining their brand.

Great post.  1 and 2 drive 3 to an extent.  There’s always trade offs.  But when you’re worth what the Yankees are worth spending a little extra to maintain the brand and over kill your way to another few rings is likely going to produce ROI.

Just now, mission27 said:

Also mission runs in the same circles as George’s kids, consensus has always been they are a little in over their head.  Mission once had a personal run in with Randy Levine over his job performance and we will leave it at that tbh.

What's the radius on the restraining order?

Weird day today. First time I've ever gotten in a debate with a Yankee fan who didn't want to sign a Hall of Famer...

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Next time you see him tell him to take the WH CoS job like the goddamn flea he is.

I dont think itd work out tbh

Say what you will about the POTUS he definitely has a healthy respect for smugness and over the top lavish spending 

5 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I dont think itd work out tbh

Say what you will about the POTUS he definitely has a healthy respect for smugness and over the top lavish spending 

"Randy... tell congress.. we are building the wall."

"Boss do you know how much that would cost?  Let's do the responsible thing and pay $2M to some ****ty middle infielder so we can win the wild card again and stay under the luxury tax." 

giphy.gif

Yeah Hal is a little girl. What the hell is the point of making all of that money and being the Yankees if you aren’t gonna go rub it in everyone’s face. ESPECIALLY given the Red Sox recent success.

You don’t get cheap with a 26 year old future hall of fame LEFT HANDED power hitter that is the smuggest mf’er in the game that grew up a Yankees fan, has said he wants to play for you and was smacking 500 foot dingers in the trop at 16 years old. 

You also don’t pass on a platinum gloved Manny Machado who idealizes A Rod, wants to play for you and YOUR BEST PLAYER TOLD HIM HE’D LOOK GOOD IN PINSTRIPES IN SPRING TRAINING.

Time to be a man, Hal. Grow the **** up

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

If we sign Fredy Glavis instead of Machado I swear to god

Dont know much about Glavis actually.  Playing for San Diego does have its drawbacks......
But - wouldnt consider these two paired in any Machado decision.

Glavis looks to me to be more a stopgap replacement for Didi - plus (and this is where I'm lacking background) - potentially as a fill in at other infield positions? Last year we lost Drury, Toe, Austin.....(who else?).....leaving us with Hechavarria, Wade.....who else?.....Walker (and both Hech and Walker are UFAs). Unless the NYY have somebody coming up from the minors, they need to replenish this backup talent pool. If Glavis can wear multiple gloves - he might be handy to have around.  

Archived