Why does Ryan Grant get all this love from the coaches?

Brian23

Don't feel like making a new thread about it. [EDITED BY MODERATOR: Okay, let me then :D]

I really just don't get the Ryan Grant love. Like, I just wish he'd figure whatever it is he needs to figure out to be productive in games but I feel like going into year 4 with only 40 balls and 400 yards to his name is awful and makes me question the resurgence of optimism from the coaches.

25 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

Don't feel like making a new thread about it.

I really just don't get the Ryan Grant love. Like, I just wish he'd figure whatever it is he needs to figure out to be productive in games but I feel like going into year 4 with only 40 balls and 400 yards to his name is awful and makes me question the resurgence of optimism from the coaches.

I think everyone hates him but turtle tbh

Grant is liked by the coaching staff because he does everything right during practice. Gruden & Hilliard can tell young WRs & even Pryor to watch Grant run his routes and watch the depth he hits and everything and they'll learn something from him.

That doesn't mean anyone thinks Grant is going to be a starter or catch 50, 60 plus balls this year or really ever.

The reason I like Grant is the same reason I like Paul, they are good depth. If you have a WR or TE/WR in Paul's case that can run every route they are asked and run it correctly at the right depth - let's not forget that on Cousins's high throw to Pryor vs the Ravens, Pryor didn't get the correct depth - then the qb can trust that wr or te and the coaches will as well. They are also both good and reliable special teams players.

What I don't understand is why people in this forum and on twitter waste so much time on hating a #4/5 wr & a #3/4 TE. That's what I don't understand. It just seems like a waste of everyone else's time to constantly complain about players who really barely - if ever play on offense - and who barley make the team.

Yes, Grant has fallen down a few times but vs Atl that wasn't entirely his fault. Cousins threw the ball on a hot read because he had pressure and the blitzed was unblocked - which Cousins said was his fault for not changing the position - and Cousins also threw a bad pass. Grant had an in breaking route and was running in and then Cousins threw the ball towards the sidelines, Grant had to stop his inbreaking route at full speed and try to get near the sideline where Cousins was throwing it as an out route. Cousins said that int was his fault, and it was! He should have thrown the ball in the stands because he almost got sacked and couldn't even see where he was throwing it. He should have thrown it away and lived to fight on the  next play. Blaming that entire play on Grant is just STUPID and bad analysis. 

Grant didn't even played much lst year - other than on run plays because Djax was a crap blocker - but I'm sure based upon how many snaps he's played he may have appeared to fall down alot but the truth is he hasn't. He's fallen like 3 times on routes in 3 years or something like that. 

Classic case of fans overreacting.

You all also take my opinions out of context, which continues to be annoying as hell. I don't love Ryan Grant or Niles Paul. If I loved them then I'd say they should be starting, I haven't said that. All I've said is that they should make the team, probably will as one of the last of their position groups to make it and one of the last players to make it on the entire roster.

That ain't love, that's called TRUTH! You all can predict otherwise and be wrong if you want. I'm going off of what Gruden is saying about how each player has performed during camp and that they're better and more reliable than the players they're competing with for those last roster spots.

8 hours ago, Brian23 said:

@turtle28 I brought it up because of an article actually indicating Gruden and Ike think he can be a big time WR in this league. That's why I asked the open-ended question.

Ah, well I disagree with Gruden & Ike on that one. 

Like I said in the offseason and in past seasons if Grant was a starter for us, I think he could be an average WR. Like say he's was our 4th option instead of Doctson, he'd get less receptions, yards & definitely TDs than Doctson.

If healthy, Doctson is probably a 60-70 catch, 800-900 yard and 6 to 8 TD guy.

If Grant was our starter for a season he's a 40 to 50 catch, 500-600 yard and 3 or 4 TD guy.

There is certainly a drop off there but Grant as a 4th or 5th option is fine.

So, a couple of things:

1. I have no earthly idea why the coaching staff loves Ryan Grant. We hear every year of "how well he runs his routes" or Joey Sunshine's laughable assertion in the Packers game that he "catches everything thrown at him" (next pass, he drops). The guy is a JAG. He offers little to nothing and there doesn't seem to be any sign of growth.
  2. One thing Webby wants us to do is avoid shoving all of the topics into a few threads. So if you have an idea, break it loose.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:25 PM, turtle28 said:

The reason I like Grant is the same reason I like Paul, they are good depth. If you have a WR or TE/WR in Paul's case that can run every route they are asked and run it correctly at the right depth - let's not forget that on Cousins's high throw to Pryor vs the Ravens, Pryor didn't get the correct depth - then the qb can trust that wr or te and the coaches will as well. They are also both good and reliable special teams players.

Except the difference between Paul and Grant is that if we had to rely on Paul for his primary skill, I think the team could still function with him at TE. I don't have that confidence in Grant. Yes, they both might contribute on special teams but Paul is the captain; Grant is just a guy.

On 8/18/2017 at 7:25 PM, turtle28 said:

What I don't understand is why people in this forum and on twitter waste so much time on hating a #4/5 wr & a #3/4 TE. That's what I don't understand. It just seems like a waste of everyone else's time to constantly complain about players who really barely - if ever play on offense - and who barley make the team.

Because we want to improve the talent level of the entire team. That means upgrading those depth pieces because they do come into play due to formations and injuries. For instance, I can understand if someone wants to replace Paul with Jeremy Sprinkle. They know what they have in Paul, and they think it can be improved. We don't know exactly what we have in Sprinkle, so give him more chances to win the roster spot. I disagree with them on Paul, but I'd rather give Robert Davis or Maurice Harris more time at Grant's expense.

I think a lot of the hate as it pertains to guys like Grant and Paul relates to service time.  Grant is on his fourth season, and Paul is going on his seventh.  We know what we have in these players, and it's good depth.  A majority of fans would rather us draft or acquire other players who have more potential, even though guys like Grant and Paul have roles to play on winning teams, 

27 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I watched a bit of RedskinsNation today and was almost physically ill watching corporate shill Larry Michael talk about what an excellent player he is. The quicker he's gone the quicker the coaches can move on to annointing a new JAG like Fuller.

I still think there is hope for Fuller.

However, Larry Michael will happily talk up the Devil himself if it will help him keep his job/advance up the ladder.

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A majority of fans would rather us draft or acquire other players who have more potential, even though guys like Grant and Paul have roles to play on winning teams, 

I think there is more value in what Paul brings (from his ST captaincy) then what Grant does (just a ST contributor). Both have a very thin pathway to making the roster, but I think Paul's path is easier.

1 minute ago, Woz said:

I think there is more value in what Paul brings (from his ST captaincy) then what Grant does (just a ST contributor). Both have a very thin pathway to making the roster, but I think Paul's path is easier.

The ST captaincy didn't mean much with Lorenzo Alexander, though.  Paul also has had season-ending injuries the past two years, so his leash might be very short. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The ST captaincy didn't mean much with Lorenzo Alexander, though.  Paul also has had season-ending injuries the past two years, so his leash might be very short. 

Lorenzo Alexander was a contract thing (specifically, the team leaving out some incentives that had been included in earlier drafts of the contract). It wasn't his play.

Archived