Why does Ryan Grant get all this love from the coaches?

Brian23

Just now, Woz said:

Lorenzo Alexander was a contract thing (specifically, the team leaving out some incentives that had been included in earlier drafts of the contract). It wasn't his play.

But it shows how much loyalty matters to this team, and how we operate.  That's the example I was using him for. He was such a class act, we should have bent over backwards after that to retain him, 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

But it shows how much loyalty matters to this team, and how we operate.  That's the example I was using him for. He was such a class act, we should have bent over backwards after that to retain him, 

Oh, absolutely. He's a really nice guy in person as well as still being active in the DC community.

The shafting he got from the Skins was an unmitigated joke.

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

From what I remember Shanahan didn't want to match his offer, but it could have been a Bruce Allen thing where Allen didn't want to spend $ either. It was tough those two years because we had the salary cap penalty also, but I personally would have rather kept Zo and not signed some other defenders that we did like Meriweather.

22 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

From what I remember Shanahan didn't want to match his offer, but it could have been a Bruce Allen thing where Allen didn't want to spend $ either. It was tough those two years because we had the salary cap penalty also, but I personally would have rather kept Zo and not signed some other defenders that we did like Meriweather.

It was only $1.2M.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/13/alexander-says-abruptly-lowered-contract-offer-changed-his-mind/

“I was ready to sign back with the Redskins on Monday night, but it wound up not being close at all,” Alexander said in an exclusive, in-person interview at the NFL Players Association meetings in the Bahamas where he’s representing Washington. “They were offering $2.6 [million guaranteed] with an overall contract of $7.5 million over three years. The next day, they called back and said they would only guarantee $1.4 [million] of that.

Alexander starting would not have been the wisest decision of the coaches, but not keeping him here and getting him to retire as a Redskin for that amount of money, that was a bad decision by the front office. 

His abilities on ST's and being a serviceable back up were worth exactly what the offer was - 3yrs/7.5M

2 hours ago, mar29020 said:

turtle will defend any bum on this team lol

What Is this in reference to? Grant? Grant does some things well and other things he doesn't. He shouldn't be a starter for us. I'm not sure why it's so wrong that I point out he's a good route runner and he and Cousins have developed a good chemistry since they've worked together so much since 2014, especially in the preseason.

Just like with Matt Jones last year I have no problem if Grant is or is not on this team, but if you're going to replace him that other player better be more reliable and better. Right now Mo Harris - who we all assume can be better than Grant - hasn't done anything for 3 weeks since spraining his knee. Brian Quick hasn't shown anything to us and Robert Davis has done a little but none of them are as experienced in the offense as Grant. We're not going to cut our most experienced and versatile WR and a good special teams player just because some fans hate that the coach hypes him up too much.

If those other WRs want the job as the #4 they need to out practice him and out play him and they just frankly haven't this spring & summer. 

You can take that how ever you want but it's the truth.

14 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Alexander starting would not have been the wisest decision of the coaches, but not keeping him here and getting him to retire as a Redskin for that amount of money, that was a bad decision by the front office. 

His abilities on ST's and being a serviceable back up were worth exactly what the offer was - 3yrs/7.5M

He's been a good starter for Buffalo. I think Alexander is they type of guy if you just give him the training on what he needs to do that he'll put in the work and can start at any position in the front defensive 7 and he even played OG for us under Gibbs right?

He's shown he can go from an interior OL/DL to an OLB and get double digit sacks there as well. There's no doubt in my mind that if the coaches wanted him to he would have put the work in to be a starter at any LB spot for us.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What Is this in reference to? Grant? Grant does some things well and other things he doesn't. He shouldn't be a starter for us. I'm not sure why it's so wrong that I point out he's a good route runner and he and Cousins have developed a good chemistry since they've worked together so much since 2014, especially in the preseason.

Just like with Matt Jones last year I have no problem if Grant is or is not on this team, but if you're going to replace him that other player better be more reliable and better. Right now Mo Harris - who we all assume can be better than Grant - hasn't done anything for 3 weeks since spraining his knee. Brian Quick hasn't shown anything to us and Robert Davis has done a little but none of them are as experienced in the offense as Grant. We're not going to cut our most experienced and versatile WR and a good special teams player just because some fans hate that the coach hypes him up too much.

If those other WRs want the job as the #4 they need to out practice him and out play him and they just frankly haven't this spring & summer. 

You can take that how ever you want but it's the truth.

Oh god the list is too long to count.  

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He's been a good starter for Buffalo. I think Alexander is they type of guy if you just give him the training on what he needs to do that he'll put in the work and can start at any position in the front defensive 7 and he even played OG for us under Gibbs right?

He's shown he can go from an interior OL/DL to an OLB and get double digit sacks there as well. There's no doubt in my mind that if the coaches wanted him to he would have put the work in to be a starter at any LB spot for us.

Not really. If they had wanted him, they would have asked for him to be signed back. They would have said to just pay him. His age was becoming a concern and Arizona offered more money. I think his one good season in Buffalo is arbitrary, they were actually playing in a 4-3 in which he was able to line up as both SLB and DE. 

17 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Not really. If they had wanted him, they would have asked for him to be signed back. They would have said to just pay him. His age was becoming a concern and Arizona offered more money. I think his one good season in Buffalo is arbitrary, they were actually playing in a 4-3 in which he was able to line up as both SLB and DE. 

Well the Redskins obviously made a mistake when they didn't re-sign him. Whether he was starting or not at worst he was better depth than we've had since he left and he's still an exceptional special teams player that we've missed.

Rex & Rob Ryan played a 4-3 last year?

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/189/BUF

That's not true, Zo started at LOLB last year for the Bills in their 3-4 D. He's being moved to SLB in McDermott's 4-3 defense this year.

2 hours ago, mike23md said:

He's shown he's actually a serviceable starter for Arizona and Buffalo as well. At that price, he would have been an incredible steal. If nothing else, Alexander >>> Compton.

Archived