Week 15 GDT: Wentz's Back in LA: The Rams vs the Mangled Corpse of the Eagles

EaglesPeteC

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, N4L said:

The Rams are beatable. It comes down to a few things:

1) getting pressure with 4 or 5. You can't blitz them because they are so good at screens, but you guys have the DL to get pressure without blitzing, so you have a shot. Goff rarely gets pressured, 

2) not losing track of gurley. Too many times teams vacate space when they see him pass block and they dump it off to him for easy chunk plays. He is a very well rounded back so you just need to make sure you know where he is and keep a body on him at all times. The bears did a great job of this, gurley would step up like he was going to pass block after play action and they had a defender on his hip. Goff usually keeps his eyes downfield and then comes to gurley LATE only once everyone else is covered or if he feels pressure. So if you are generating pressure, Goff will look to gurley as an emergency blanket and if there is someone on his hip it will open the door for negative plays where Goff is forced to eat the ball or where you can tackle gurley for a loss. This play is a huge part of their offense. 

3) give cooks all of the attention on the outside. I know your corners are all young and inexperienced but since they lost Cooper cupp you can basically double cooks. Robert woods is solid, but he's not exactly someone that you fear. He's pretty well rounded and he has good length but he can be stopped with one guy. Gerald Everett has played better, but still not someone that you fear all that much right now. Cooks is the real threat on the outside now. 

The last two games Patricia and Fangio have put the game plan on film of how to slow down/stop the Rams offense. I think teams have started to figure out Goff and I don't think mcvay has adjusted either. 

Their secondary has played extremely poorly, Marcus Peters has been hurt and lost his mojo, you can go at him all game long with a guy like golden Tate. Mark Barron is pretty good at covering TEs, but I still think that matchup favors ertz. 

You gotta block Donald, which is easier said than done, but I think that your offense can scheme it up where you get the ball out quickly and have success. 

Cheer up lads! 

The Vikings suck, the Panthers suck, you guys suck. One of those three will make it in! 

Lets see here: 

1) Pressure with 4. Goff is never pressured and hasn't shown he knows how to handle it - CHECK

2) Don't lose track of Gurley - CHECK

3) Don't let cooks beat you - CHECK

4) Attack their secondary - CHECK

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, N4L said:

Woods is good for his 5-7 catches for 70-80 yards and 0 TDs. That's really solid, yet unspectacular production and if I'm an opposing DC I feel pretty comfortable lineing up one defender on him for 90% of the game. You have to pick and choose who to give extra attention to. Before cupp was out, that decision was a lot harder. 

woods final stat line 7 catches 74 yards 0 TDs 1 rush 19 yards. He did have a nice move on the screen to avoid a negative play, and made a few guys miss once he had the ball, but again, not the dynamic playmaker that you should fear. No Cupp is a bigger loss than anyone cares to admit. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, N4L said:

Goff has been due for some regression. He's played out of his mind in certain stretches. He has been pressured a lot more these last two weeks and it's no surprise those were basically his worst two games of the season. (I don't have stats for his pressure rate but as someone who watched both games that was how it felt) the Rams OL and scheme have kept a clean pocket for him the last two years and he's incredible when he's comfortable and has time to throw the ball. 

The eagles DL gets after it. Getting pressure with 4 sometimes 5 is the first step. The eagles can absolutely do that. 

Goff made some dumb plays and missed some easy throws because he was feeling antsy in the pocket. Chris Collinsworth even pointed out how 'his internal clock has been sped up'. 

I don't usually make these types of "I told you so" posts but uhhh… I told you so @jrry32 

Is THREE games enough to spot a trend? Goff has played poorly in three straight games. 

DOGS

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

Lets see here: 

1) Pressure with 4. Goff is never pressured and hasn't shown he knows how to handle it - CHECK

woods final stat line 7 catches 74 yards 0 TDs 1 rush 19 yards. He did have a nice move on the screen to avoid a negative play, and made a few guys miss once he had the ball, but again, not the dynamic playmaker that you should fear. No Cupp is a bigger loss than anyone cares to admit. 

Goff made some dumb plays and missed some easy throws because he was feeling antsy in the pocket. Chris Collinsworth even pointed out how 'his internal clock has been sped up'. 

I don't usually make these types of "I told you so" posts but uhhh… I told you so @jrry32 

Is THREE games enough to spot a trend? Goff has played poorly in three straight games. 

DOGS

Yeah, I'm going to say that you're wrong about the long-term outlook here and leave it at that. Enjoy your "I told you so." We'll see what happens when it matters.

15 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Saint Nick is going to handing out gifts tonight. You get a pick, you get a pick, you get a sack, you get a sack, you want a fumble? You get a fumble. Hey Donald needs 6.5 sacks to break the single season sack record. Saint Nick, give Donald 3 sacks tonight.

Wait, were you talking about Goff? He was the one handing out gifts tonight. Staring down WRs, throwing the ball late, missing wide open guys, handing the ball to the defense while trying to avoid sacks. All gifts. That Goff is one jolly fellow. 

15 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

In all seriousness though, this isnt a good spot for the Eagles. Poor secondary against Goff who is scary good at home. The Rams average 37pts and 427yds on offense at home. Goff by himself is averaging 357yds and almost 3tds at home. He is completing 72% of his passes at home. Thats not a good recipe. On top of that, the Eagles got all the Rams focus because of the bad game offensively wise the Rams played against the Bears. So this isnt a game the Rams are going to be taking lightly. The Rams still are playing for a 1st round bye and the 1 seed. Not to mention last season the Rams were beating the Eagles when Wentz got hurt then Foles came in and led the Eagles to the comeback win. The Rams havent forgotten about that. So my question is if this game will be competitive?

so my question is how much do you regret this post?

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, El ramster said:

STAND THE HELL UP.. THE MANDINGO IS HERE.. WHERE MY LADIES AT.. TUDDY NATION.. 

COX NATION.. WHERE THEY AT DOE.. 

lol jk.. I know y'all hurt more than a wounded animal. Oh well.. At least we could all drink and enjoy this game on sunday.

Here's to Foles dropping 8 Ints to help you out in a top 10 pick. Much love.

*The master debater. 

IM JUST GONNA QUOTE THIS 

Angry Dog GIF - Angry Dog Mad GIFs

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I'm going to say that you're wrong about the long-term outlook here and leave it at that. Enjoy your "I told you so." We'll see what happens when it matters.

Nothing but respect for you jrry.

You ready to hear me tell you that you are going to lose your first round bye on week 17 when you lose to the Niners? LOL Its only two weeks away, so I better start telling you about it now

Get ready for the Kyle vs Sean debate... this time next year

29 minutes ago, N4L said:

Lets see here: 

Okay, I won't leave it at that lol. These are pretty vague statements. It would be like me saying that the keys to beating the Saints are:

1. Pressure Drew Brees with 4.

2. Take Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara out of the game.

3. Stop the run.

4. Attack their secondary.

Yeah, if you do those four things, you're almost certainly going to beat the Saints. But those are four vague things. The challenge is in designing a gameplan that actually does that. There is one issue with what you said. Gurley had 22 touches for 124 yards and 2 TDs.

I don't think you're reading the right forums. Do you not remember how devastated we were when we lost Kupp? And I read about how our offense isn't the same because of the loss of Kupp on a weekly basis on Rams forums. All of us know what a huge loss he was. I said earlier in this season that Kupp is our most important and irreplaceable WR. It sucks that he's gone. But that's football. Guys get hurt. However, the Eagles didn't beat us because they left Woods one on one or doubled Cooks. They did the same thing the Bears did. They played zone coverage and took away the deep ball. Goff did a great job at times of dinking and dunking. At other times, he got impatient. McVay is going to need to stress to Goff that he needs to be patient. Watch Tom Brady's film. Kill a defense with a million short passes until they come up and try to stop it.

He's a pocket passer. The secret to beating EVERY QB in the NFL is pressuring them with four. That's how any defense will be successful. If you can drop seven in coverage and still get quick pressure on the QB, you're going to do well. That's not some issue that's relegated to Goff. It's not some secret that only works against the Rams. That gameplan works against all 32 teams in the NFL.

LOL. No, it's not. Find me a QB who has been a NFL starter for more than a couple years who hasn't had a stretch of poor play.

If we're going to continue this conversation, please take it over to the Rams forum. I'm sure the Eagles fans don't care to read it.

8 minutes ago, N4L said:

Nothing but respect for you jrry.

You ready to hear me tell you that you are going to lose your first round bye on week 17 when you lose to the Niners? LOL Its only two weeks away, so I better start telling you about it now

Get ready for the Kyle vs Sean debate... this time next year

Unless the Bears lose next week, I doubt McVay is going to let y'all beat his backups again. Thus, we both know that Kyle won't pull off a win lol.

On 12/14/2018 at 7:51 AM, El ramster said:

STAND THE HELL UP.. THE MANDINGO IS HERE.. WHERE MY LADIES AT.. TUDDY NATION.. 

COX NATION.. WHERE THEY AT DOE.. 

lol jk.. I know y'all hurt more than a wounded animal. Oh well.. At least we could all drink and enjoy this game on sunday... 

Here's to Foles dropping 8 Ints to help you out in a top 10 pick. Much love.

*The master debater. 

Rams nations STAND THE HELL UP... Where you at little boy lol..

In all seriousness, good win and crazy. Watching the game, I was fearing for the worst which has been the case in every game this year, but they pulled it off. There is something about Foles and this time of the year... magical. 

BTW there was more Eagles fans in that stadium then Rams... joke of a fanbase. 

23 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Unless the Bears lose next week, I doubt McVay is going to let y'all beat his backups again. Thus, we both know that Kyle won't pull off a win lol.

Lol the niners play the bears after an emotional win against seattle. I don't think it is going to end well for us next week which will force McVay's hand. 

So I was wrong about no one saying Cupp was a big loss, just haven't heard it a lot from the media recently. Havent heard his name at all but somehow Ive heard Hunter Henry's name a few times recently :) maybe that's my fault for listening to the hoopla. The more I heard how good the rams were the more confident I was the eagles would shock the world because you know both teams heard the chatter too. its human nature. 

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, if you do those four things, you're almost certainly going to beat the Saints. But those are four vague things. The challenge is in designing a gameplan that actually does that. There is one issue with what you said. Gurley had 22 touches for 124 yards and 2 TDs.

They did leave Gurley alone underneath more times than I would have. I laid out pretty explicitly what I meant by that though, Gurley is Goffs security blanket, he looks for him late in the play when there isn't anyone open down the field and/or he feels pressure. There were a few times tonight that goffs head came to Gurley late and he dumped it off for a 5 yard gain. Earlier in the year teams would get gashed for huge chunk plays of 20 or more, or allow easy third down conversions. I think teams have started to realize that you have to keep a body on gurley even when he pass blocks, and especially after they use him on play action. Its where goff wants to go when pressured. That is a specific gameplan and not as general as you are making it sound. 

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He's a pocket passer. The secret to beating EVERY QB in the NFL is pressuring them with four. That's how any defense will be successful. If you can drop seven in coverage and still get quick pressure on the QB, you're going to do well. That's not some issue that's relegated to Goff. It's not some secret that only works against the Rams. That gameplan works against all 32 teams in the NFL.

I said that Goff is rarely pressured. I was implying that by pressuring him you may get him off his game and have him make rookie mistakes. That is exactly what happened. Some QBs can handle pressure (not pressure of the moment but pressure from blitzers) than others. Look at nick foles tonight, he took some shots but still stepped into throws and 'looked down the barrel of the rifle' so to speak and delivered passes to the outside and deep down the field. Goff fell down when he saw multiple guys running at him. Big difference there. 

By no means am I saying hes a bust or that hes bad... simply that hes a young QB who was due for some bad games. Unfortunately for you its coming at the end of the season

As for philly fans asking why the team is better with nick, its 100% psychological. I see it in baseball all the time, a team will have their best pitcher on the mound and hitters think "we don't need to score as many runs tonight because we have our ace on the mound" and maybe they lose a game 0-1 or 1-2. Then when their 4th or 5th guy is on the mound they know they need to score so they end up winning 7-5. Same thing, Foles is starting so everyone knows they need to play better to win as their ace wont carry them. 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

I said that Goff is rarely pressured. I was implying that by pressuring him you may get him off his game and have him make rookie mistakes. That is exactly what happened. Some QBs can handle pressure (not pressure of the moment but pressure from blitzers) than others. Look at nick foles tonight, he took some shots but still stepped into throws and 'looked down the barrel of the rifle' so to speak and delivered passes to the outside and deep down the field. Goff fell down when he saw multiple guys running at him. Big difference there. 

Nick Foles took some shots on plays where he held onto the ball too long. The Rams did a poor job of pressuring him, and Wade's gameplan infuriated me. If you're going to play zone, bring the blitz after Foles. Force him into mistakes by speeding up his processing. The Eagles did that successfully. The Rams did not.

As for Goff going down when he realized he was going to get sacked, welcome to the NFL. If you've watched any of the HOF QBs play over the past decade, you'd see the same thing a million times. It happened on ONE play when Goff was dead to rights. That was actually a smart decision. I wish he would have stayed down on that 3rd down play.

Finally, no QB can handle consistent pressure from four-man rushes. Russell Wilson is maybe the closest thing to a QB who can, but that's because he can run away from it. The best pocket passers in the game's history have been knocked off their game by consistent pressure. Yes, that's how you throw Goff off his game. It's also how you throw Brees, Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner, etc. off their games. If you have the DL to do it, hat's off to you.

32 minutes ago, N4L said:

As for philly fans asking why the team is better with nick, its 100% psychological. I see it in baseball all the time, a team will have their best pitcher on the mound and hitters think "we don't need to score as many runs tonight because we have our ace on the mound" and maybe they lose a game 0-1 or 1-2. Then when their 4th or 5th guy is on the mound they know they need to score so they end up winning 7-5. Same thing, Foles is starting so everyone knows they need to play better to win as their ace wont carry them. 

Eagles have been doing this for years, especially  with Mcnabb.  It's the Superman  Complex. Players simply play harder or attempt to step up more when the backup  is inserted.

Infuriating to say the least when players do that.

@N4L I don’t regret what I said. Hindsight is always 20/20. Foles did what he had to do and the defense did a nice job overall. With that being said, the Rams still had their chances late. Natson fumbled then Goff missed Reynolds in the endzone. All I ask for in every game is for my team to have a shot to win in the 4th quarter and for how good the Eagles possibly could play the Rams still had their shot at the end.

But again it’s easy to brag as you see the game unfolding or after the game. I just made my prediction before the game and thought I don’t see a way the Eagles win or be competitive with Wentz and a banged up secondary on the road where the Rams offense is scary good. Afterall the last time we say LA at home they scored 54pts. But congrats to the Eagles winning. It puts the pressure back on the Cowboys because if the Cowboys lose out and the Eagles win out guess who wins the NFCE? The Eagles and the Cowboys choke again and the Rams losing last night would be worth it just seeing those Cowboys fans cry after they got big headed thinking a win against the Saints makes them now a Superbowl contender.

Archived