Week 15 GDT: Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

If one falls out, believe it or not, I think its Ferrell. 

Also, scary to think, but you can probably add 4 more interior defensive linemen at least in the top 15. I wouldn't be at all surprised if out of the first 15 picks 9 are edge rushers or interior linemen. 

Williams/Oliver/Brown and Simmons?

I think Herbert and Hankins go top 15 as well. So positional players will be dropping. No clue how strong the CB and WR class is, but seems like there should be some good ones available. 

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Sweat as well. Damn, DL is dominating this draft class for sure lol.

They asked on NFL Network right now if Aaron Rodgers will win another Super Bowl, and Deion said not in GB. And so LT says yes he will and Deion was like whaaat? And LT was like just wait until they get their next HC, it may be Lincoln Riley.....To which Deion responds I don't care if they get Abraham Lincoln, he's not winning in GB LMAO.

11 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Dang. Well, he ain't wrong.  The Nolan and Singeltary teams did this stuff too. There was no carry over of success the following year. 

Thats a bullsh*t take from middlekauf. 

He's never seen fans be so happy from winning a game in December? What an elitist attitude.  

That's the EXACT mindset that drives me nuts with our fanbase. "Oh it's not as good as it was in the 80s so therefore it sucks" ... give me a break. 

We are fans. Fans are supposed to get excited when their team wins, especially when it prevents a DIVISION RIVAL from CLINCHING A PLAYOFF SPOT 

I don't have a Twitter, otherwise he'd be receiving this as a DM. I generally like middlekauf. His show with haberman on 95.7 was excellent 

This is a good point right here. I still think he was a bit better last year than this year as he wrecking havoc week in and week out. Now he is getting some hustle sacks which is good as if anyone deserves those types of sacks it is him. 

Getting a dominant edge to go along with Buckner/Thomas on the inside will improve this defense greatly. We have to hit on whoever we take in the 1st round. If not, then you start wondering about Lynch and his future as GM here. 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Thats a bullsh*t take from middlekauf. 

He's never seen fans be so happy from winning a game in December? What an elitist attitude.  

That's the EXACT mindset that drives me nuts with our fanbase. "Oh it's not as good as it was in the 80s so therefore it sucks" ... give me a break. 

We are fans. Fans are supposed to get excited when their team wins, especially when it prevents a DIVISION RIVAL from CLINCHING A PLAYOFF SPOT 

I don't have a Twitter, otherwise he'd be receiving this as a DM. I generally like middlekauf. His show with haberman on 95.7 was excellent 

I mean, yeah I guess? It depends what type of fan you are. If you're more prisoner of the moment, this win is great. I'm more longterm. At least when the games don't matter anymore. This win doesn't really help us get closer to a Super Bowl. And 9 months from now it's a new year. The players aren't certainly going to be partying over their 4th win in December of the previous year. At worst, this is the game we traded to not have Bosa in a 49ers uniform, and instead having him a Arizona Cardinals killing Jimmy G twice a year. I guess we can hope he sucks though. Or isn't taken by Arizona. But now we're hoping, instead of controlling. 

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I mean, yeah I guess? It depends what type of fan you are. If you're more prisoner of the moment, this win is great. I'm more longterm. At least when the games don't matter anymore. This win doesn't really help us get closer to a Super Bowl. And 9 months from now it's a new year. The players aren't certainly going to be partying over their 4th win in December of the previous year. At worst, this is the game we traded to not have Bosa in a 49ers uniform, and instead having him a Arizona Cardinals killing Jimmy G twice a year. I guess we can hope he sucks though. Or isn't taken by Arizona. But now we're hoping, instead of controlling. 

You are looking at it wrong. He's saying that fans who used to not celebrate anything less than a Superbowl win are now cheering for 4-10, and that we should all be embarrassed about it or something. 

He isn't saying anything about the draft. 

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

You are looking at it wrong. He's saying that fans who used to not celebrate anything less than a Superbowl win are now cheering for 4-10, and that we should all be embarrassed about it or something. 

He isn't saying anything about the draft. 

I know what he's saying about the fans. I'm going beyond his simple tweet, because today's game impacts the draft, which is relevant to the future success of the franchise. 

That being said, maybe this is what Saints and Falcons fans felt like back in the old days when they would beat the 49ers once a year on their way to missing the playoffs. Standards are going to be different for different fans based on how well the team has done in recent times. 

30 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't hate this philosophy of saying you're long term, but it could lead to a rather depressing fandom overall. If the team continually struggles and is not good, and you are only taking joy when we tank to get the better pick or player that you happen to want, but then that player never quite pans out, or he does and you still end up in a 7 year rebuild anyway, you're just never taking any joy from your fandom, you know? I think that can get rather depressing. That's a long time between taking any joy out of being a fan. Given that fandom is supposed to be something that you enjoy, I have a hard time wondering why anyone would be a fan at that point in time if it's not bringing them some joy for years at a time. 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't hate this philosophy of saying you're long term, but it could lead to a rather depressing fandom overall. If the team continually struggles and is not good, and you are only taking joy when we tank to get the better pick or player that you happen to want, but then that player never quite pans out, or he does and you still end up in a 7 year rebuild anyway, you're just never taking any joy from your fandom, you know? I think that can get rather depressing. That's a long time between taking any joy out of being a fan. Given that fandom is supposed to be something that you enjoy, I have a hard time wondering why anyone would be a fan at that point in time if it's not bringing them some joy for years at a time. 

I agree to an extent. My investment in football isn't that profound though. When the team sucks, I don't watch the games that in depth. I just take to other interests. When they're good again, I come back and dig in. I'd be utterly miserable even more so watching every game in an otherwise irrelevant season.

Well, as long as Lynch and Shanahan fix the pass rush, it won't matter. Regardless how it pans out, it has to get fixed. The win against the Seahawks just seems like a step in the wrong direction in that regard. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Williams/Oliver/Brown and Simmons?

I think Herbert and Hankins go top 15 as well. So positional players will be dropping. No clue how strong the CB and WR class is, but seems like there should be some good ones available. 

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Sweat as well. Damn, DL is dominating this draft class for sure lol.

Don't forget Gary from Michigan. He has declared and is definitely top 10 worthy. This draft is stacked along the defensive line. Not so much for skill positions and QBs. This is the draft to sure up your front seven, unequivocally...

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

See, I completely disagree. Fans always want to use this notion that winning meaningless games hurts your chance of drafting better talent. Just because you draft higher doesn't mean you're picking better players. If you do your homework, you can get talent wherever you draft. The talent discrepancy between #2 overall and say #7 overall isnt as vast as some make it out to be. It depends on the class and talent pool within it but mostly it's not a huge disparity in talent overall. I remember some of our fanbase were up in arms last year about us going on that 5 game win streak with Jimmy G and screwing up us picking in the top 3. Yet we found one of the best young tackles in all of football and the heir apparent to Staley, whenever he hangs them up. Fans were grumbling when won the last game of the year back in 2015 against the Rams, which knocked us out of the top 5. But we still managed to land one of the most disruptive DTs in all of football. So miss me with this notion that you can't draft impact talent unless your picking top three. 

I'm a fan that puts stock into wins, not draft position. I will never care about tanking for the best possible player. At the end of the day I want to be able to go into work on a Monday and talk football and not have hear it from other fanbases about who we're taking in the draft instead of yesterday's game. I ALWAYS want see us victorious...that's how I think it should be. Snapping that 10 game losing streak to the Hawks is a big deal IMHO. lts not a huge deal but players and fans should be happy about not only ending the streak but keeping a divisional rival from clinching a playoff berth. It's always enjoyable beating teams like the Hawks, Cowboys, Steelers, and Giants personally. And the losses to those teams sting just a little more than others also.

Picking first is a double edged sword. Yes, you can take the best talent, but you can also make the biggest mistakes. And Bosa is far from a perfect prospect. If we picked him, a part of me would worry about the injuries, and the attitude.

What I don't like about picking first is that you have to justify your pick to everyone, the media, the fanbase, etc. If the team doesn't feel Bosa is actually #1 on their board, but the media and fans do, they're basically staking their reputation and potentially their job on the guy they pick instead. When you pick 3rd, for example, you don't have to do that as much. You can pretend you really wanted Bosa (just like we pretended we liked Trubisky, right?) and get your #1 guy anyway, and no one requires any explanation. People just assume you actually wanted Bosa.

As I said yesterday, you just play the hand you're dealt. If it means picking first, fourth, or ninth, you just do the best you can with what you have. And just be glad you have a team that wants to play hard in a losing season for their head coach. We knew, last year, that that 6-10 team could have won 2-3 more games. We know this year that this team could have won a few more games too. We could easily have been 7-7, fighting to get into the playoffs. For the first round pick watchers out there, just feel lucky. Instead of a 14th pick, we currently have the 4th!

We could have NO first rd pick, and I'd feel good about where this team is in 2019. 

Play to win. Tanking is a loser mentality that fails to understand... understand how each victory gives the actual good players more conviction to stay.. good. Play hard, play to win. 

.. and if the 3-10 team loses despite playing hard to win? then that is the time to silver line the result to "a better draft pick."

Archived