Week 15 GDT: Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

On 12/14/2018 at 9:13 AM, showtime said:

This is the game that clinches Seattle a playoff birth.  If they lost this game to this horrible team, I will be extremely disappointed and shocked.

I'm sorry I just had to quote this one more time LOL 

(You are a good poster and welcome here anytime you wish, but I'm in a playful mood) 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looking at his contract, he's only signed through 2019 so he will have to be dealt this offseason. I think we can get a 3rd rounder for him if he ends the season well. A lot of incompetent QB play in the league, at the very least he seems to be a good back up who can step in and win games when the starter goes down. 

Nah, it's no problem. He's only an ERFA after his deal is up. We just tender and it's over. He has no authority to negotiate with other teams. 

But yeah, if there's an offer of a day 2 pick on the table, you take it and run. I love Mullens, but he should never play with a healthy Jimmy G. A day 2 pick could be a guy that actually helps the team on a week in, week out basis. Plus, you never know if Mullens is going to turn into a pumpkin (something I think would be particularly likely to happen if he's no under the stewardship of Shanny, to be honest). I honestly don't know that we will get that sort of offer, but you just never know. Something comparable to the Jets package for Bridgewater is good. 

I honestly have no desire to see CJ as backup, but there are some competent back ups out there (Tyrod, Fitzmagic), and we can always draft another to push competition for CJ. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nah, he'd be an ERFA. We tender him, it's over. Even the year following he's only a RFA, so we have him under control without issue for the foreseeable future. 

So it makes sense to trade him this offseason or after the following offseason? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So it makes sense to trade him this offseason or after the following offseason? 

I think that makes sense just based on his play, personally. But yeah, a year of extremely cheap control probably helps his value. 

I have now slept on it and don't feel as bad about the win as I did yesterday.  Seeing the videos of the players celebrating after the win was awesome.  You can tell that game was super important to Sherman.  Also, I would never advocate that players or coaches intentionally tank.  Coaches need to keep their jobs.  Players need to keep their roster spots.  It makes no sense for them to tank on purpose.  Long term team benefits don't matter as much if you're not on the team to enjoy it.

All that said, I don't buy into the "team morale" mentality at all.  Next season is next season.  Not a single player will be swayed by motivation to play better, stay with the current team, etc.. because they won 4 games instead of 3 the previous season.  It literally does not happen.  That is a fan perspective and a fan perspective only.  It gives us debate ammo like, "Well, at least we weren't as bad as three other teams."  That's it.

Now that I got that off my chest, the QB situation roller coaster continues. Jimmy good!  Jimmy hurt.  Let's see what Beathard can do.  Okay, let's not see this anymore.  Mullens good!  Mullens not any better than CJ.  Mullens good again!

Although, I have to say that Mullens seems to really like targeting Kittle and Pettis.  And, he can hit them in stride.  I don't think I'm alone in the feeling that CJ is probably not going to be our #2 going forward.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that makes sense just based on his play, personally. But yeah, a year of extremely cheap control probably helps his value. 

Then time to pull the trigger this offseason. We actually don't have that many picks so maybe a trade down in the 1st and getting a 2nd or 3rd for Mullens solves that problem.

But this isn't about having patience. Sure it takes some players longer to live up to their potential. But with Thomas it was purely he wasn't being utilized the right way and for some reason it took the team almost two years to figure it out. How can you blame fans for being impatient when he was being stuck playing the edge and getting nowhere? This is more of an indictment on the coaching staff than the fans not being patient enough.

It wasn't clear who drew the holding call in OT as the ref didn't mention the number, but it was none other than Solly. So dude drew three holding calls in the 4th quarter and OT. Donald-esque!! Okay, maybe not quite Donald-esque but definitely a dominant 2nd half by him. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It wasn't clear who drew the holding call in OT as the ref didn't mention the number, but it was none other than Solly. So dude drew three holding calls in the 4th quarter and OT. Donald-esque!! Okay, maybe not quite Donald-esque but definitely a dominant 2nd half by him. 

So freaking thankful that we are going to give the kid a chance to actually succeed here by putting him where he needs to be. If we were going to keep throwing him out there at end, we just needed to trade him and get value for him. I don't understand how it took the staff so long to do something that fans have been clamoring for since his rookie season.

I agree, had nothing to do with patience...had everything to do with the staff largely being morons. Coaching staffs can be just as culpable at creating busts as the players themselves. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

So freaking thankful that we are going to give the kid a chance to actually succeed here by putting him where he needs to be. If we were going to keep throwing him out there at end, we just needed to trade him and get value for him. I don't understand how it took the staff so long to do something that fans have been clamoring for since his rookie season.

I agree, had nothing to do with patience...had everything to do with the staff largely being morons. Coaching staffs can be just as culpable at creating busts as the players themselves. 

How was his run def? I saw PPF's score on his run def last week vs Den was sub 50 but seems like he gets doubled a ton on the inside?

Just now, Forge said:

Right, how can you blame this on fans not having enough patience when he was being badly misused? We had no choice but to react the way we did since it was becoming abundantly clear that he was going to continue being used on the edge and was on his way to being a disappointed. It didn't take a rocket science to know he was best playing the interior as he could use his quickness against guards opposed to tackles. He just doesn't have the arm length and quickness to have success against NFL caliber tackles. 

Now, fans were absolutely wrong with having no patience towards Pettis who was getting attacked for not doing anything in 8 freaking snaps a game. That did tick me off as well. But the Thomas criticism? No, that was fair as long as the coaching staff was going to continue misusing him. 

12 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

How was his run def? I saw PPF's score on his run def last week vs Den was sub 50 but seems like he gets doubled a ton on the inside?

Here's the thing, on the interior, his run defense won't be as consistent. He can hold an edge because tackles are typically quicker, but not always as strong as the interior players. Holding an edge is just more about holding your ground against the offensive lineman. He has a strength advantage more often than not there. When he shifts to the interior, he's going to be lined up against a guard with a possible chip from the center. His strength advantage is lessened against a guard (typically), but his speed in pass rushing and coming off the line is heightened because guards aren't as fast (and they have less time to operate to be honest). So you'll get the advantage in the pass rush, while maybe losing some consistency in the run game. He could make some splash plays in the run game by shooting a single gap and blowing a play up in the backfield, but there will also be times where he's washed out. Kind of hard to avoid there sometimes. 

Archived