Week 15 GDT: Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

He will be on his option year. We picked it up. Still theoretically possible that we cut him prior to it kicking in, but I'd be a little surprised given we have like 100 million in space with rollover and given he may be having the best season of his career for what he does. He's not worth the option amount, but I think on a one year basis, it's not detrimental or anything. 

I'd think about trading him this offseason as his stock is as high as it's going to get right now. I really like Armstead and would love to see him resigned, but with the amount of bodies on the line right now, throwing money at a second contract with so many on rookie deals doesn't seem smart in the long run.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He will be on his option year. We picked it up. Still theoretically possible that we cut him prior to it kicking in, but I'd be a little surprised given we have like 100 million in space with rollover and given he may be having the best season of his career for what he does. He's not worth the option amount, but I think on a one year basis, it's not detrimental or anything. 

I agree but we do have Taylor, who has been getting some snaps has looked pretty good from the times I've watched him. And he's dirt cheap. Not to mention, I think Solly could play the big end just fine if we signed/drafted a true Leo. I'm not advocating us moving on from Armstead but we do have options there. Street is obviously someone the staff is high on and could be in the mix next year as well. I like Armstead. And I'm glad he could finally stay healthy so ppl could see just how good he is but this just isn't the scheme to get the best out of his abilities. He really needs to be in a attacking, one-gap 3-4 scheme. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I agree but we do have Taylor, who has been getting some snaps has looked pretty good from the times I've watched him. And he's dirt cheap. Not to mention, I think Solly could play the big end just fine if we signed/drafted a true Leo. I'm not advocating us moving on from Armstead but we do have options there. Street is obviously someone the staff is high on and could be in the mix next year as well. I like Armstead. And I'm glad he could finally stay healthy so ppl could see just how good he is but this just isn't the scheme to get the best out of his abilities. He really needs to be in a attacking, one-gap 3-4 scheme. 

We also have Street coming back next year, another 3 tech / SDE. We could certainly cut him, but the staff does seem to like Armstead. We probably do need to look at some trades for some of these 3/5 tech guys though to be honest. We have a glut of them and we can't roster them all. 

17 hours ago, Forge said:

Also, maybe it's just me, but being upset with the win because it was facilitated via 4 field goals (in the rain in the second half and overtime) and a special teams TD as opposed to winning 24-21 on the strength of 3 offensive touchdowns is just a weird demarcation. 

It may be weird to you, but it isn't to me. To each their own, my dear Mr. Forge.

I have always disliked FGs. Steve Young absolutely hated them. In fact, he said: "Each FG is one step closer to losing." And I agree. Except with Gould, we win. Ugly. And for no real benefit. Just ruins draft position.

Now, if we were consistently competent (ie a winning record)....hoping for next year...then I am certain I would praise Gould as much as anyone. Sure, that means I am inconsistent and arbitrary. I can live with that. But can you? I hope so.

Archived