Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
.Buzz

Malik Jackson: "I don't see too much of a future for me in Jacksonville.'

Recommended Posts

This is sad, but true. I like Jackson and I like what he brings to the table. This is the ugly business side of football. I'd like him to stay in Jacksonville, but that's not going to happen for that amount of money. He'll have to restructure his contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's become pretty clear the staff don't see him being back.  Getting pushed down the depth chart is an obvious death knell when he's making that kinda money.  That contract was structured from the start to be easier to cut after this season in the first place too.

It's kinda weird, because he does still seem to be able to play at least...but in the staff's mind, i guess they're trying to get other guys in there since they've already made up their mind on Malik for next year.

Not super confident about Taven Bryan taking over this spot without a dropoff, and not overly confident that they'll sufficiently address this by backfilling depth behind Taven either, when releasing a starter-quality (relegated to depth duty) piece like Malik.  It starts to look a bit like drafting Taven was less genuinely about "BPA value" they couldn't pass up, and at least partially influenced by this plan to cut Malik after 2018.  But we're going to need to clear cap to have any flexibility next year, and cutting Malik certainly does clear a big chunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's become pretty clear the staff don't see him being back.  Getting pushed down the depth chart is an obvious death knell when he's making that kinda money.  That contract was structured from the start to be easier to cut after this season in the first place too.

It's kinda weird, because he does still seem to be able to play at least...but in the staff's mind, i guess they're trying to get other guys in there since they've already made up their mind on Malik for next year.

Not super confident about Taven Bryan taking over this spot without a dropoff, and not overly confident that they'll sufficiently address this by backfilling depth behind Taven either, when releasing a starter-quality (relegated to depth duty) piece like Malik.  It starts to look a bit like drafting Taven was less genuinely about "BPA value" they couldn't pass up, and at least partially influenced by this plan to cut Malik after 2018.  But we're going to need to clear cap to have any flexibility next year, and cutting Malik certainly does clear a big chunk.

to be fair im pretty sure bryan was close to BPA and based on his athletic traits some real potential.  it was a big swing instead of hitting a single. too early to say what the result of the swing is but it seems bryan is atleast a very capable backup 3tech which was the case with tyson alualu whom we picked much much higher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

to be fair im pretty sure bryan was close to BPA and based on his athletic traits some real potential.  it was a big swing instead of hitting a single. too early to say what the result of the swing is but it seems bryan is atleast a very capable backup 3tech which was the case with tyson alualu whom we picked much much higher. 

I was mostly alright with the pick, and still am really.  Not what i would've preferred, but plenty reasonable.  I just think with the way they've handled Malik's situation and Bryan's respectively, it's starting to paint a picture of a plan that's a bit different than the whole, "he was BPA and just too good of value to pass up" rhetoric that was touted after the draft.  Specifically...starts to make me wonder if they were kinda always planning to ditch Malik (and his big cap number) after this season when they saw a guy like Taven available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I was mostly alright with the pick, and still am really.  Not what i would've preferred, but plenty reasonable.  I just think with the way they've handled Malik's situation and Bryan's respectively, it's starting to paint a picture of a plan that's a bit different than the whole, "he was BPA and just too good of value to pass up" rhetoric that was touted after the draft.  Specifically...starts to make me wonder if they were kinda always planning to ditch Malik (and his big cap number) after this season when they saw a guy like Taven available.

if i was gonna replace jackson i woulkd have waited till this years DL class. tons of talented dudes out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×