Bold predictions for the 2017 NFL Season

Webmaster

Zeke will lead the league in rushing. Despite getting suspended 6 games. 

Todd Gurley finishes 2nd behind him. 

Eli Manning misses a game. Ending his iron man streak.

Matthew Stafford out performs Matt Ryan in every category.

Cam Newton cements himself as a top 5 qb.

And for defense, Malik Hooker has 6 interceptions. 

Aaron Donald severly regresses.

Zach Cunningham has 120 tackles

A wide receiver hauls in a game winning interception. 

Just now, Breesus mode said:

I've never understood why Brady just owns you.

Stubbornness from the Steelers coaches by constantly playing the same way against him. By no means am I taking away from Brady because he is an icon but the Steelers coaching staff for years have never tried anything different when going up against him with the exception of 2011 where they actually held Brady to 198 yards. They pressed their WRs. Yet, inexplicably, have not tried that approach in the ensuing games. Absolutely ridiculous. However, this season they are expected to play more man coverage and less zone. I'm not saying that will stop Brady but at least it will be something different than the usual way he has torched the Steelers. Oh and in that AFC Championship game they decided to drop back their best pass rushers. Brilliant.

Just now, 1BackInBlackFan said:

Stubbornness from the Steelers coaches by constantly playing the same way against him. By no means am I taking away from Brady because he is an icon but the Steelers coaching staff for years have never tried anything different when going up against him with the exception of 2011 where they actually held Brady to 198 yards. They pressed their WRs. Yet, inexplicably, have not tried that approach in the ensuing games. Absolutely ridiculous. However, this season they are expected to play more man coverage and less zone. I'm not saying that will stop Brady but at least it will be something different than the usual way he has torched the Steelers. Oh and in that AFC Championship game they decided to drop back their best pass rushers. Brilliant.

I've never understood why coaches are so stubborn sometimes.

Matt Barkley is a startling QB on a playoff team

Antonio Brown is benched at some point this season, for being bad

the Jets have a good young franchise QB named Petty

Tom Brady goes 19-0

Derek Carr is good, but Jack Del Rio is the best coach in the league

Most people criticize my picks 

3 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Jameis becomes our franchise leader in TDs (that's not a typo) after throwing 33.

Wow. I knew he had a chance to be a real piece of franchise history, but to hold that title in year 2 with another 15+ years to build on it? He could be a true living legend in Tampa Bay in no time.

8 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Wow. I knew he had a chance to be a real piece of franchise history, but to hold that title in year 2 with another 15+ years to build on it? He could be a true living legend in Tampa Bay in no time.

Combination of Tampa never really having a franchise QB before him and the rules of today promoting passing TDs. Hell even looking at Titans/Oilers history where we've had guys like Moon, McNair and Blanda,  Mariota is already on pace to pass Dan Pastorini for 4th place in Oilers/Titans history in just 2 more seasons, and would own the franchise record over Warren Moon at just 6 more seasons(which would mean he would own the franchise record potentially before even turning 30). And that's just assuming he stays at a rate of 25.6 tds per year.

In terms of passing records, asterisks should be applied to every QB post 79, post 04 and post 11, when compared to QBs who played before those times/rule changes. Need to just start a separate rule book, really. 5 of the current top 10 QBs in pass tds are currently active, another just retired(Peyton), and Favre wasn't all that long ago. 7 of the 10 would be considered modern era QBs, though Favre didn't get to play post 2011. Other 3 are Marino, Tarkenton and Elway. And Elway will be passed by Rodgers(3 behind) and Palmer(15 behind, and yes, Carson Palmer is going to be a top 11 guy in NFL history in terms of passing TDs assuming he doesn't get hurt this year).

10 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Combination of Tampa never really having a franchise QB before him and the rules of today promoting passing TDs. Hell even looking at Titans/Oilers history where we've had guys like Moon, McNair and Blanda,  Mariota is already on pace to pass Dan Pastorini for 4th place in Oilers/Titans history in just 2 more seasons, and would own the franchise record over Warren Moon at just 6 more seasons(which would mean he would own the franchise record potentially before even turning 30). And that's just assuming he stays at a rate of 25.6 tds per year.

In terms of passing records, asterisks should be applied to every QB post 79, post 04 and post 11, when compared to QBs who played before those times/rule changes. Need to just start a separate rule book, really. 5 of the current top 10 QBs in pass tds are currently active, another just retired(Peyton), and Favre wasn't all that long ago. 7 of the 10 would be considered modern era QBs, though Favre didn't get to play post 2011. Other 3 are Marino, Tarkenton and Elway. And Elway will be passed by Rodgers(3 behind) and Palmer(15 behind, and yes, Carson Palmer is going to be a top 11 guy in NFL history in terms of passing TDs assuming he doesn't get hurt this year).

So you're saying Marcus is six years away from being a Titan Legend?

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

So you're saying Marcus is six years away from being a Titan Legend?

BbgL7x3.gif

On another note, a couple bold predictions:

Mike Glennon starts all 16 games for the Bears, plays well.

It's practically a guarantee that every season, at least 4 teams who made the playoffs last year will not make the playoffs in the next. While the Dolphins, Lions, Texans are some teams that may appear as more obvious choices, I think the Seahawks will be one of the 4(or more).

Chuck Pagano is fired by mid-season(maybe not so bold?)

I have a feeling AP is going to look really good this year, he won't be "25 year old AP" but he will be impressive. The combination of him and Breeze together, will give AP some beautiful looks. It wouldn't shock me if he kills in the red zone. 

17 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Ok. Fairly certain none of this will happen, but here we go:

- Tom Savage starts a full 16 games for the Houston Texans, makes the Pro Bowl as an alternate and is the biggest FA prospect next offseason. 

- JJ Watt has a pedestrian season by his standards (8.5 sacks, 19 TFL, 1 FR, 1INT) but is the winner of the Comeback Player of the Year award, edging out Rob Gronkowski.

- Jadevion Clowney takes his place as the most dominant defender in football, breaking Michael Strahan's single season sack record (24.5 sacks for Clowney). He is named DPOY and is rewarded by becoming the highest paid defensive player in football.

- DeAndre Hopkins goes a 2nd consecutive season without reaching the 1,000 yard mark, due to minor injuries and the emergence of WR Braxton Miller. Between the 2nd underachieving season and the deals paid to Clowney and ILB Bernardrick McKinney, he will end up leaving Houston at the end of the season.

- Braxton Miller will establish himself as the primary #2 WR, putting up close to 1,300 yards of total offense (900 yards receiving 400 yards rushing) and establishing himself as the future #1 WR for the Texans.

- ILB Zach Cunningham will come in 2nd in DROY voting. His 133 tackles will lead the Texans.

- Nick Martin will start at C for the Texans, and Greg Mancz will start at LG. Both will make the Pro Bowl, with Mancz earning 2nd team All Pro honors. 

- The Texans defense will lose ground in total yardage ranking (from 1 to 7) but will be the top scoring defense in football.

- The Texans will make the playoffs as the #3 seed, and lose at home to the Los Angeles Chargers in the first round of the playoffs.

- Mike Vrabel will take the head coaching job in Houston after Bill O'Brien and the Texans "mutually part ways." O'Brien will take the head coaching job with the NY Jets, and the rumor mill of the Jets passing on Josh Rosen with the #1 pick in favor of Christian Hackenberg will be the talk of the offseason.

I honestly thought I was being bold giving Cunningham 120 tackles.

Also the Jets firing Bowles after the team doesn't produce regardless of the fact that they moved every single asset would be 100% Jets. Add on the fact that they bring a worse coach and I think you're bold prediction isn't seeming that bold.

Aaron Rodgers throws 50+ TDs while having 5 or less INT en route to MVP #3

The Packers defense finishes top 5 in points against and, as a result, the Packers win Super Bowl LII

The Cowboys go sub .500 and Dak regresses significantly

Tom Brady posts an INT% over 3% (boldest thing ITT tbh)

Archived