AJ Green trade value

LuckyIrish23

4 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

If we hit a home run at head coach in offseason, maybe.  But it's a lot more than a piece.  It's at least 2 starters at LB, 2 starters at OL (you could sell me on 1), and probably upgrades needed at QB, CB2, and TE...

No team in the salary cap era is without weaknesses.  If you want a "perfect" team, yes.  But One stud LB, a RT, and depth at CB would be enough for this team to be playoff cliber with a good coach.  Kroft is no Gronk, or even Eifert when Eifert is healthy, but he's more than adequate given the other weapons on the team.

2 minutes ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

No team in the salary cap era is without weaknesses.  If you want a "perfect" team, yes.  But One stud LB, a RT, and depth at CB would be enough for this team to be playoff cliber with a good coach.  Kroft is no Gronk, or even Eifert when Eifert is healthy, but he's more than adequate given the other weapons on the team.

Agreed every team has weaknesses.  But head coach is a major one.  I said it couple of times in here, but not when responding to you.  If we retain Marvin Lewis, we should set AJ free.  Whitworth deserved his happiness in LA, AJ should have the same opportunity...

12 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Agreed every team has weaknesses.  But head coach is a major one.  I said it couple of times in here, but not when responding to you.  If we retain Marvin Lewis, we should set AJ free.  Whitworth deserved his happiness in LA, AJ should have the same opportunity...

I agree Marvin needs to go.  But from a player standpoint we are not far away.

11 hours ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

I agree with this. A linebacker and tackle of starting quality can be found in the first two rounds pretty easily.  Especially if we have the right scheme. 

A new qb is fools gold. Much more likely to get a downgrade or lateral move at best. I'd rather try to build around what we have. Most teams would kill for an average qb.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I agree with this. A linebacker and tackle of starting quality can be found in the first two rounds pretty easily.  Especially if we have the right scheme. 

A new qb is fools gold. Much more likely to get a downgrade or lateral move at best. I'd rather try to build around what we have. Most teams would kill for an average qb.

Use free agency to get the o-linemen.  Get a quality RT and figure out what you want to do with the interior.  Draft a couple of stud LBs in the first two rounds and then a OT or two to develop.  A metrics guy convince me to go that route due to LBs value going down by age 26-27 (right about the time a second contract kicks in) vs o-linemen who peak from 25-30.  You see a lot of quality o-linemen playing into their thirties, but not so much with LBs.  Burfict has fell off of a cliff.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Use free agency to get the o-linemen.  Get a quality RT and figure out what you want to do with the interior.  Draft a couple of stud LBs in the first two rounds and then a OT or two to develop.  A metrics guy convince me to go that route due to LBs value going down by age 26-27 (right about the time a second contract kicks in) vs o-linemen who peak from 25-30.  You see a lot of quality o-linemen playing into their thirties, but not so much with LBs.  Burfict has fell off of a cliff.

I'd say that is a strong correlation. Along with running backs, maybe not wise to expect effective play after mid 20s

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I wonder how much of that is due to the fact that LB's that were drafted 5 years ago aren't built the same way as LB's that are drafted now.

Much more emphasis placed on run and cover now than 5 years ago.

8 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Not many teams have really good O-lines.  Good tackles don't often hit free agency.  Guards maybe, but we all know they won't pay big money for a guard.

12 hours ago, Jason_Bengal_Fl said:

Not many teams have really good O-lines.  Good tackles don't often hit free agency.  Guards maybe, but we all know they won't pay big money for a guard.

And yet teams like the Rams, Browns and Vikings accomplished it. So I don't buy that narrative.  Cleveland got Tretter and Zeitler to complement the draft.  the rams got Whitworth and their RT to supplement their draft picks.  The Vikings re-tooled their entire line in ONE offseason.  

So yes, it can be done by spending money in free agency.  We know they haven't in the past, but if they want to move forward with this team, they have to wake TF up and join the 21st century

On 12/13/2018 at 6:17 PM, Forge said:

Funny that you guys had 2 AJ green related trade questions in the span of a few hours from non Bengals fans :D

The reason other fans outside of bengals are asking is because he has been brought up with media several times discussing him as one of the top pieces to trade this offseason. The reason is because Marvin Lewis is likely gone which opens a new HC which means a rebuild. 31 year old WR going in to his last year of his contract and coming off of back to back injury seasons is why he is being discussed. Not to mention the question marks the team has on both sides of the ball according to these "media members". I follow some bengals football because my wife is a fan but i honestly dont know them as well as i know my team. He would be a good piece to trade with the young guys moving up on the roster like Boyd. I get that most fans think his value is more to be on the team then traded but as a struggling bills fan the longterm may be better then what he offers in 1 year as he may not resign in 2020 offseason. So get what you can now with the new coach and focus on making them a contender in 2-3 years and hopefully get rid of the Steelers for good once Ben leaves at that time. Oh media was mentioning something similar to Brandon Marshall trade which was two 2nd rd picks. Based on injury, age, contract length.

Well heck. If some reporter in another market thinks we should trade our best player for a fourth round pick,  we sure better!  

Seriously,  I live in Columbus less than two hours from Cincinnati and pretty much the only thing local media knows about the bengals is that Baker doesn't play there. Ther is as close to a 0% chance of him being traded as possible. 

44 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

The reason other fans outside of bengals are asking is because he has been brought up with media several times discussing him as one of the top pieces to trade this offseason. The reason is because Marvin Lewis is likely gone which opens a new HC which means a rebuild. 31 year old WR going in to his last year of his contract and coming off of back to back injury seasons is why he is being discussed. Not to mention the question marks the team has on both sides of the ball according to these "media members". I follow some bengals football because my wife is a fan but i honestly dont know them as well as i know my team. He would be a good piece to trade with the young guys moving up on the roster like Boyd. I get that most fans think his value is more to be on the team then traded but as a struggling bills fan the longterm may be better then what he offers in 1 year as he may not resign in 2020 offseason. So get what you can now with the new coach and focus on making them a contender in 2-3 years and hopefully get rid of the Steelers for good once Ben leaves at that time. Oh media was mentioning something similar to Brandon Marshall trade which was two 2nd rd picks. Based on injury, age, contract length.

So a few things you should know:

1. The national media don't know the Bengals.  They draw conclusions based on what other teams do, but the Bengals always zag when everyone else is busy zigging.
  2. Bengals don't trade their stars.  Even in their 30's.  They resign them (see Atkins, Geno; Dunlap, Carlos).
  3. AJ Green idolizes Larry Fitzgerald and has always dreamed of being a one-team guy.  He is loyal.  Only way he leaves is if the Bengals do something to disrespect him.

AJ isn't being traded, and he'll sign another extension next year.  Book it.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

So a few things you should know:

1. The national media don't know the Bengals.  They draw conclusions based on what other teams do, but the Bengals always zag when everyone else is busy zigging.
  2. Bengals don't trade their stars.  Even in their 30's.  They resign them (see Atkins, Geno; Dunlap, Carlos).
  3. AJ Green idolizes Larry Fitzgerald and has always dreamed of being a one-team guy.  He is loyal.  Only way he leaves is if the Bengals do something to disrespect him.

AJ isn't being traded, and he'll sign another extension next year.  Book it.

I mean, the falcons have been bad, Julio was sulking.  Last year of his deal coming too.  Where are all of those media reports about how Julio should be a trading chip to some larger market team

How about a fourth for Julio.  he and AJ deserve to finally be teammates after all this time.

On 12/12/2018 at 7:11 PM, johndeere1707 said:

I think it would have to start with at least 2 1sts, AJ Green is one of the only superstars we have so he is worth far more to us

I understand the sentimental value of retaining AJ Green, but I'm really hoping that this isn't an expectation of what he's worth.  There are very few non-QBs that fetch multiple FRPs via trade.  Khalil Mack is a far superior player and more importantly younger with a better injury history fetched a pair of FRPs but gave up their SRP in 2020 to get that second first.

50 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I understand the sentimental value of retaining AJ Green, but I'm really hoping that this isn't an expectation of what he's worth.  There are very few non-QBs that fetch multiple FRPs via trade.  Khalil Mack is a far superior player and more importantly younger with a better injury history fetched a pair of FRPs but gave up their SRP in 2020 to get that second first.

I know know one else would trade that, but that’s what Mike Brown would want 

Archived