Das Gute - Year 1 in Review

Shanedorf

Scouting the Waiver Wire / practice squads

Gutekunst said the morning meetings discussing the waiver wire with his staff have been some of the more enjoyable moments of the season, with ideas being tossed around by co-directors of player personnel Jon-Eric Sullivan and John Wojciechowski along with director of pro scouting/salary cap analyst Chad Brinker, scout Richmond Williams and personnel executive Lee Gissendaner

“I do love that he’s been aggressive in terms of raiding other teams,” Dominik said. “I think that’s an excellent way to build depth of a team. It doesn’t always show in Week 11 or Week 14, but it might show up Week 3 next year when that young guy has another offseason to grow into a role and he becomes the third at something or becomes a key contributor on special teams and you just made your team stronger. I think those are really good (moves). I think any time you can look at the team and admit there was a mistake maybe you were a part of, or made that decision, but turn around and be aggressive to try and fix it?

“That’s the GM I want.”

Packers just nabbed former 4th rounder OG Nico Siragusa off of Ozzie's practice squad

Trading up and down in the first round and scoring a great pick at #18 and an extra #1 for 2019 was top notch.

Free agency would look solid had Wilkerson not been lost so early on.  Also the broken thumb for Graham has cut into his production.  House sucked .. Wiilliams has been quite useful playing corner, safety, and returning punts for a stretch.  Bell played okay for a while. Missing out on Allen Robinson hurts, but we probably wouldn't have one or two of our drafted WR's has we nailed down Robinson.

I liked the attempt to go after Mack.  I wonder how close he got?  Offer Sheeting Kyle Fuller was a good move .. worth a shot.

In season move to get Breeland for cheap was shrewd.

Stealing guys from others practice squads is nifty.

I like the guy a lot .. a massive improvement over TT.  He's going to get us turned around.

12 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

I think he's referring to at least trying in free agency rather than sitting on his hands like Thompson did the past number of years letting this roster go downhill.

I would assume that's where he was coming from as well.  TT was the absent GM in too many seasons.

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, yes, those are players we drafted. 

We got a guy that looks like he's going to be a stud corner in Alexander.

We got a late first round pick next year. 

We got a guy who's looking like Quinten Rollins in Jackson

We got a guy who isn't seeing the field to genuine scrubs like Antonio Morrison in Burks.

We get a guy who looks like he's going to be a long term piece in MVS.

We got a guy who has shown flashes in EQ.

We got a guy who has shown nothing in J'Mon Moore.

We got an average punter (so far) in Scott

We got a below average Long Snapper in Bradley

We got a lottery ticket in Donnerson.

That's a B draft in mind. Two guys looking like starters, some decent depth and an extra draft pick. 

+++

Loved the trade for New Orleans 1st at the time, and still do.  Could have turned out even lots better with a key injury or two in New Orleans.  

For the moment, early returns suggest that he probably whiffed on round 2 (Jackson), 3 (Burks), 4 (Moore), and 5 (Madison). 

Hypothetically some of those guys will improve and end up being useful.  But if not, hard to end up with a real strong draft grade if rounds 2-5 are all bad. 

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Loved the trade for New Orleans 1st at the time, and still do.  Could have turned out even lots better with a key injury or two in New Orleans.  

For the moment, early returns suggest that he probably whiffed on round 2 (Jackson), 3 (Burks), 4 (Moore), and 5 (Madison). 

Hypothetically some of those guys will improve and end up being useful.  But if not, hard to end up with a real strong draft grade if rounds 2-5 are all bad. 

You are passing 'dismissal' judgement on the rookies much too early. let's see how they do in year two, and with a new HC. I'm still hopeful with the first two of your four 'probable busts', have no idea at all with Moore, and agree that the complete lack of news about Madison suggests he likely will not play. Even if Jackson busts at CB, he has the instincts to be a very dangerous safety, where he can watch the QB as the play develops.

5 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You are passing 'dismissal' judgement on the rookies much too early. let's see how they do in year two, and with a new HC. I'm still hopeful with the first two of your four 'probable busts', have no idea at all with Moore, and agree that the complete lack of news about Madison suggests he likely will not play. Even if Jackson busts at CB, he has the instincts to be a very dangerous safety, where he can watch the QB as the play develops.

It would be nice if our lame media would ask for an update on Cole Madison ... wish I had a sense as to whether he was closer to a return date, or simply going to fade away. The last few things I head were back in August/September from the Packers and his agent were that he planned to play again.  

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Moronic to be happy that the front office has actually tried?  

If you want to bring Snyder into this, then you are talking results.  And grading results.  Which aren't good. (for Snyder) I think one could opine that Snyder paid a lot more cash to get those guys in.

Gute seemed to have a price and stuck to it.  It hit a few, missed a few.  I for one like that he was active.  Gives me hope that he will continue to be active.  Doesn't mean he will sign the big guys, but at least we will be in more conversations. 

Moronic to give an A+ grade simply for the effort, regardless of the effectiveness. 

You said you were giving an A for trying. That's ridiculous. Everybody tries. Snyder tries, you don't give him an A for trying.

We put 21ish million on the table this year for Graham,Tramon, Wilkerson and what basically amounted to another 12 for Clay.

For 33 million you could have pulled Vinny Curry, Honey Badger, Justin Pugh, and Trumaine Johnson.

Tell me I'm not crazy to think this was a very average Free Agency class.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It would be nice if our lame media would ask for an update on Cole Madison ... wish I had a sense as to whether he was closer to a return date, or simply going to fade away. The last few things I head were back in August/September from the Packers and his agent were that he planned to play again.  

To be fair, if you’re a reporter who gets to ask 1, maybe 2 questions in a 10 minute press conference, are you really going to spend them asking about a 5th round pick who didn’t report to camp 4 months ago? 

36 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Moronic to give an A+ grade simply for the effort, regardless of the effectiveness. 

You said you were giving an A for trying. That's ridiculous. Everybody tries. Snyder tries, you don't give him an A for trying.

We put 21ish million on the table this year for Graham,Tramon, Wilkerson and what basically amounted to another 12 for Clay.

For 33 million you could have pulled Vinny Curry, Honey Badger, Justin Pugh, and Trumaine Johnson.

Tell me I'm not crazy to think this was a very average Free Agency class.

Vinny Curry .. 18 tackles and 2.5 sacks.  Pugh -- IR.  I like the honey badger and Trumaine .. although he missed a bunch of games this season.

C- is generous IMO at this point.  Could go up depending on the head coach hire.  

Draft- Adding Jaire and the future first was nice but the draft is lacking quality contributors.  His second and third round picks look terrible right now given what they showed us as rookies and they massive opportunity they had.  

UFA- Some decent low end adds (Bell & Breeland) but there were some misses that had large expectations because of the size of checks they were written (Graham & Williams).  

Roster movement-  Keeping Cobb and his 12 1/2 million dollar cap hit instead of Jordy and a restructure (a likely 5ish million) was a significant mistake.  Trading Randall, who's been a really good play maker in the back end of the Cincy secondary, for Kizer (a Brett Hundley equivalent) hurt this team this last year.  Kizer was an abomination in his only playing time where as Randall is in the league's top 10 in INTs.  He'd have helped a secondary that is awful at safety.

I don't think we're any better right now than we were when he took over the team.  I mean, the 2017 team had just as many wins 5 weeks through the season as this one did going into week 14.  

59 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

average to poor.

Closer to poor IMO. 

I know people love Graham but he's been terrible given the massive contract he got.  It's one thing to ignore the negative effect he has on the running game because of the effort he gives as a blocker when he's putting up elite numbers as a receiver.  It's another thing to ignore it when he's a mediocre receiver who's not helping the offense much.  the Jimmy Graham addition has been a huge bomb in year one.  I truly believe we'd be ditching him this coming off season if we didn't have to take a huge cap hit on thew chin to do so.  

https://twitter.com/jco3215/status/1070373673993945091

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

I suspect Ha Ha was becoming a problem in the locker room not unlike Randall and Sitton were.  Happily for us the 'Skins will end up with a poor record so our pick will be higher than we anticipated.

I don't miss Monty and if he wasn't doing what he was told then you can't have a guy like that around.  I doubt that fumble of his in LA was the first time.  You don't dump somebody for one transgression.

At some point we're going to have to stop labeling people post-trade, as locker room problems.

Archived