Jarvis Landry - Revisited

mistakey

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandJa00.htm

he was a fan fav in training camp, faded weeks 4-12 but has picked it up.  in fact, it looks like with some good games to finish out the season he'd be on pace for his 2016 season which earned him a probowl spot.

Whats your take on Jarvis? Worth it? Not? Not worth it but still glad hes on the team?

I was ticked when I first heard the news especially since it was first announced as multiple picks. I thought for sure we gave up a premium pick for a solid #2. The deal was much much better when it was later learned it was only a 4th and 7th. The money doesn't matter because we have plenty of cap space for a few years yet. His leadership and attitude he brought to the Browns means so much more than his production right now.

A+ 

I'm sure we "overpaid" him, but I look at it a few ways:

1. Did he make our team better? ABSOLUTELY

2. Did he make our locker room better? ABSOLUTELY

3. Are we seeing his value with Freddie FREAKING KITCHENS as our OC? ABSOLUTELY

4. We were going to have to pay some guys with all of our cap space, and he's a pro bowl player who is still in his prime.

I think that he's an ideal slot and X-Factor type (I love those two buck sweep/trap plays vs. Carolina), but not a true "outside guy".

Overrated before he came, which a lot of Browns fans realized.. But the price was so reasonable that I was totally fine with the trade. I think a lot of Browns fans bought into the hype (including myself) and started to get high hopes for him after a nice offseason/preseason. So I ended up being let down by him after a few weeks of watching his inability to separate.

After that roller coaster of emotions with him, here's where I stand now: Great move, great addition to the team in a variety of ways (I LOVE his attitude) and I'm absolutely happy we traded for him and paid him. Maybe in a vacuum all of the things we paid for him (money included) weren't quite worth his on field production, but all things considered, I'm thrilled. Watching the new offense, he looks a lot more like what I expected when we first traded for him. We still need a true #1, which sucks, but the rest of the WRs are in place.

28 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I was ticked when I first heard the news especially since it was first announced as multiple picks. I thought for sure we gave up a premium pick for a solid #2. The deal was much much better when it was later learned it was only a 4th and 7th. The money doesn't matter because we have plenty of cap space for a few years yet. His leadership and attitude he brought to the Browns means so much more than his production right now.

Agree with this.  Dorsey has done a lot of things right.  Trading for and signing Jarvis was one of them.

Our WR corps wouldn't be nearly as good without him.  Not only is he a good/great player, but he has a positive impact on those younger guys.  Great trade and signing.

Worth it mostly just for the mental side. A player that actually thinks he is one of the best players on the field and generally performs like it.

For years, we didn’t seem to have many of these. Even the few players we had that were good seemed to succumb to a Browns feeling and lose confidence/not give off the air of a player who knows he is good.

I see Landry and Baker as similar in this regard. Both good players with talent but possibly even more value in their mental/confidence game. Makes other players believe and thus makes the entire team feel like they are actual winners and can go out prove so.

After next season he is easy to cut for the next 3 years, if his performance goes through the floor we are safe. 

For most teams he would be worth the money, but he has played well and like others have said he has filled a leadership void in the offense. Plays each snap like it is his last. 

Tough sob.

The money is irrelevant because we have a surplus for the life of his contract. The 4th/7th to me is also irrelevant given the NFL success percentages of those draft slots along with what we’ve already gotten out of the class.

Good move for a guy that makes us a better team with him on it. We could still use a game breaker out there but I don’t think he does anything to hinder that. Additionally, he’s a professional and brings attitude, preparation, and experience to the locker room. What’s not to like. 

Archived