Jarvis Landry - Revisited

mistakey

9 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

The money is irrelevant because we have a surplus for the life of his contract. The 4th/7th to me is also irrelevant given the NFL success percentages of those draft slots along with what we’ve already gotten out of the class.

Good move for a guy that makes us a better team with him on it. We could still use a game breaker out there but I don’t think he does anything to hinder that. Additionally, he’s a professional and brings attitude, preparation, and experience to the locker room. What’s not to like. 

Are you telling me you would rather have Jarvis Landry than Durham Smythe?

I love Landry and think he was more than worth it.

We need to surround him with some other great WR's so that he can work against nickel backs though. That's where he would really begin to rip teams apart. He's been working as an outside receiver mostly which is fine, but he's much better suited working the short game. If we grab a guy like DK Metcalf or even Marquise Brown, it opens up the underneath stuff and I would expect him to be routinely catching 10 passes a game.

He's not a #1 WR, but he's an amazing leader, reliable playmaker, elite blocker, and can move the chains consistently. He can also bail out a QB and make some spectacular plays. I love the dude and am so thrilled we got him. Can you imagine how anemic our WR group would be without him?

On 12/13/2018 at 2:53 PM, TheeRealDeal said:

Are you telling me you would rather have Jarvis Landry than Durham Smythe?

Unfair to compare Landry to Smythe. Nobody realized how good Smythe would be and if we sit here and try to compare everyone to him, of course nobody is going to look good by comparison.

Look. Landry is a great player; Smythe is a great player. I am devastated we missed out on Smythe and the bevy of other superstar day 3 selections, but Landry is doing just fine for us.

On 12/13/2018 at 7:37 AM, mistakey said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandJa00.htm

he was a fan fav in training camp, faded weeks 4-12 but has picked it up.  in fact, it looks like with some good games to finish out the season he'd be on pace for his 2016 season which earned him a probowl spot.

Whats your take on Jarvis? Worth it? Not? Not worth it but still glad hes on the team?

Hof receiver in his prime

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We overpaid, not sure that’s really even debatable, but we had the cash and picks so I’m cool.

It’s the kind of move you can make every now and then, but a couple more contracts like his, to players as limited as him and that’s how teams get in cap hell.

Okay, Eeyore.

Let's wait until there is more evidence that we are on that path.

10 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Okay, Eeyore.

Let's wait until there is more evidence that we are on that path.

I didn’t say we were.

My point being it’s not hard to get good players if you compensate them like they’re great.  It’s hard to do that continually though and be successful.

Dorsey was put in a position that allowed him a lot of room for error.  It’s not always going to be like that. He’s not going to be able to whiff on a second and third rounder and have a fan base that doesn’t care every year either. Pointing that out doesn’t make me negative, it’s simply a reality, just like signing a slot wr to the 7th largest contract (avg per year, 5th largest total value) at the position in the NFL isn’t a great move.

And while I’m sure the irony of you calling someone else Eeyore will be lost on you, I hope everyone else gets to enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And while I’m sure the irony of you calling someone else Eeyore will be lost on you, I hope everyone else gets to enjoy it.

The rest of the posters in this thread were celebrating a good move by Dorsey and good result for the Browns, and then you chimed in.

24 minutes ago, bruceb said:

The rest of the posters in this thread were celebrating a good move by Dorsey and good result for the Browns, and then you chimed in.

So when someone asks for our take on the situation, am I only supposed to give it if it’s entirely positive? 😂 

What part of my statement was incorrect?  Did we sign him at a bargain?  Is he one of the best handful of players at his position? 

I guess since you don’t have the facts on your side you’ll pound the table (there’s an aphorism you should be familiar with), right?

Archived