Should Andy be criticized for not starting Mahomes down the stretch?

Art_Vandalay

Should Andy be criticized?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy be criticized?

• Yes, Mahomes clearly gave the Chiefs a better chance to win than Alex Smith
    • No, you can't bench Alex for a rookie

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

What are the realistic chances that a better QB in his first 6 starts is gonna go on the road and win at NE, at Pitt or at Jville ?

fify ;)

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Does he give you a better chance? Maybe, but "better chance" doesn't equate to a win.

That's what I'm saying though. You may not win but a better QB is going to give you a better chance. That's all you can really ask for. What gives my team the better chance to win?

Alex Smith is the guy at poker night that folds every hand unless he has pocket aces. He'll outlast some of the aggressive guys, but he's not going to walk away with any money.

NO and NO. 

So many teams thirsty for success start their 1st round rookie QB without any seasoning and they ruin one promising career after another.

Alex Smith had played too well overall to even fathom benching him. Only time that would make sense was if he went Fitzcrapick for 6 games or had a middling injury.

Now, the way he played too conservatively against Tenn was all the justification Andy Reid needed, especially in a town sick of losing in the playoffs.  

I’d say in retrospect this is probably a discussion worth having, but I think it was about the fact that Mahomes was a relatively unknown commodity at the time so if it had backfired he would have undoubtedly faced backlash and that probably played into the reasoning behind staying out at quarterback and not making a change

Also, it was easier for the 49ers to use that “riding the hot hand excuse”, because Alex smith wasn’t playing bad before he got injured. He wouldn’t have lost his job except for not only getting injured, but also Kaepernick playing really well and giving them a dimension that wasn’t offered to them when Smith was playing

I don't blame him because I'm not 100% certain he's this guy if he starts then, but on the other hand he's Alex Smith. He's been in the league 10+ years. Everyone knows who he is and what his ceiling is. It is amazing how much he was holding that offense back though. Like he was having a career year offensively with that same team and Mahomes has already blown that out of the water. 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

I don't blame him because I'm not 100% certain he's this guy if he starts then, but on the other hand he's Alex Smith. He's been in the league 10+ years. Everyone knows who he is and what his ceiling is. It is amazing how much he was holding that offense back though. Like he was having a career year offensively with that same team and Mahomes has already blown that out of the water. 

Honestly, I kind of feel bad for Smith (well, as much as you can for a guy who's made a lot of money in the NFL). It's not like the guy is bad. He's been a very solid quarterback for the last 7-8 years. No, he's not great, but he's very solid and largely been above average I would say; bouts of bad / below average play mingled with some good and last year, mostly very good play. But situations like this (and the Kaep one) just make him look so much worse than he actually has been lol. The optics just reflect poorly. 

If you mean play Mahomes over Revis on D, then yes.

If you mean have Mahomes ref the playoff game over the clown who called a pair of fumbles dead balls and then "decided" to retire after, then yes.

If you mean should AR have benched the league leader in passer rating who had a career 12 TDs and 2 picks in the playoffs for a rookie? Hell no.

I am also curious to know if the NFL would have changed the 2017 rules to the 2018 rules for the 2017 playoffs in this alternate reality.

I think he should be criticised for calling that timeout near the end of the game. Rivers was just about to take a delay of game put Reid saved him

And no.. He should not be criticised for not playing Mahomes last year. Smith was efficient and they were winning games. If they make the swap and they lose in the playoffs (like they did anyway) people would be calling for Reid's head.

Archived