Should Andy be criticized for not starting Mahomes down the stretch?

Art_Vandalay

Should Andy be criticized?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Andy be criticized?

• Yes, Mahomes clearly gave the Chiefs a better chance to win than Alex Smith
    • No, you can't bench Alex for a rookie

27 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

The main reason he lost in the NFCCG to the Giants was our returner...Kyle Williams. Not one, but 2 flubs. :(

He also completed 46% of his passes in that game. I feel like that game is a perfect example. He wasn't terrible and didn't turn the ball over but he not capable of putting the team on his back and winning it. 

But I guess the poll speaks for itself. 88% of people would rather ask out the awkward girl with low self-esteem to avoid rejection than take a shot at the prom queen lol.

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I dont know how everyone missed this 

Did you guys even watch the game?

Mahomes played great in week 17 last year. The Broncos players were full of praise for him.

There is a reason there was so much hype coming into this season and it was based in good part on that game.

15 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

He also completed 46% of his passes in that game. I feel like that game is a perfect example. He wasn't terrible and didn't turn the ball over but he not capable of putting the team on his back and winning it. 

But I guess the poll speaks for itself. 88% of people would rather ask out the awkward girl with low self-esteem to avoid rejection than take a shot at the prom queen lol.

And have you seen who his WRs were?! Ugh. Retreads galore.

15 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Did you guys even watch the game?

Mahomes played great in week 17 last year. The Broncos players were full of praise for him.

There is a reason there was so much hype coming into this season and it was based in good part on that game.

Yeah I watched the game and he didnt play great and there wasnt a ton of hype for Mahomes this offseason either.  He didnt play great against the Bears 2nd stringers in the preseason either.  Anybody trying to act like they saw this coming is full of it.  Everybody was expecting Mahomes and the chiefs to struggle bc he was a first year starter.

5 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, and Frank Gore all in their prime... I'm not saying they're HOFers but it's a pretty damn good supporting cast.

Walker and Davis had drop issues, Crabtree was better elsewhere...for a short time. Now Gore? One of the best 49ers in the past 20 years at least.

Reid did the right thing. Smith had his best season of his career last season. I understand this day in age QBs should be thrown into the fire right away but as I stated before, Mahomes is in the perfect situation. He got drafted to a team that has great weapons on offense, a great homefield in Arrowhead, a division that is winnable, a creative experienced successful head coach, and he had the privilege of sitting behind a guy who had experience and know how to win games. Smith might not be the flashiest but he knows situational football. He knows not to turn the ball over especially in key moments that can cost the team. Now Mahomes gives the Chiefs the best chance to win, but last season was a good learning experience for him and now he is an MVP candidate this season. We dont know for certain if he wouldve done the things he is doing this season last season but one might suggest that last season helped him have the type of season he is having this season. 

14 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Yeah I watched the game and he didnt play great and there wasnt a ton of hype for Mahomes this offseason either.  He didnt play great against the Bears 2nd stringers in the preseason either.  Anybody trying to act like they saw this coming is full of it.  Everybody was expecting Mahomes and the chiefs to struggle bc he was a first year starter.

You sir are wrong.

Mahomes had that bad interception against Denver where the ball slipped out of his hand and sure he finished with no TD and 1INT but the Von Miller, Chris Harris, etc. were full of praise for him for a reason. He was real good, evading pressure, throwing in the tiniest of windows, etc.

And about nobody saw it coming. Louis Riddick in the offseason or last year posted on Twitter that the kid would the league over by storm next year. Peter Schrager also thought he was the next big thing and now he is pumping his chest because he was right all along. I think Chris Simms also and a few other analysts.

Myself, prior to the season, I wanted to put a bet on Mahomes for MVP as the odds were so slim but I looked it up and it seems like you cannot do that type of bet online. Not that I was confident at all that he would win it but I thought it was a possibility. He was going to be a starting QB in perfect conditions.

Nobody saw it coming that he would be MVP this year but many people thought he would very possibly be great (like top 10 QB) right from the start.

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

:D

Good Grief! I had forgotten him! He was starting due to injuries, wasn't he?! 

Yes. I'll never forget the pass against the Saints. Fine throw by Smith, maybe slightly overthrown, but it was there, but Swain looked like he was stuck in mud, never all out effort to get the ball and it went off his finger tips. No burst at the end at all. just looks really awkward. 

52 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker, and Frank Gore all in their prime... I'm not saying they're HOFers but it's a pretty damn good supporting cast.

Walker was a part time player with the niners and used more as a blocker (never caught 30 passes with the niners). It's unfair to look at what he did with the Titans and say that was the player that the 49ers had. He wasn't because we didn't utilize him like that. VD was great, obviously, particularly that preseason, and he had a big game against the Giants. 

Crabs was certainly a competent receiver. He was having to deal with the amazingly child like passing scheme of Greg Roman though. He's awful in the passing game. Great run game coordinator, but you don't want him anywhere near your passing game. Gore was a solid piece, though should be noted that he was probably having his worst full time season at that point as a 49er (mainly because the team stopped using him in the passing game - his running was still in line with what he had done previously, but the 49ers were no longer using him out of the backfield). 

Smith didn't perform great against the giants, but he was okay. If you look at what the Giants D did against the quarterbacks that post season, it's not like Smith was truly awful in comparison. He wasn't great, but it was alright. Also should be noted that the Alex Smith that played last year was far better and improved than the one that played in 2011, so even that isn't the greatest comparison ever. I mean, Harbaugh had that dude reigned in on the leash that year (It wasn't until 2012 that he cut him loose a little bit) 

47 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

He played great in Denver.

Not on the box score nut he got us up by 2 scores before we put in the 3rd string

Archived