WW's Mock Draft V:1

VigilantZombie

First of all I know it's still early we are not out of it yet but I am taking an optimistic approach to here. I'm going to say we make the playoffs however we take a first round exit. I am protecting us at pick 23.

R1: Mack Wilson - honestly to me. this is the second best inside linebacker on the board second only to Devin white who I don't think we'll make it anywhere close to us at 23. I feel very strongly that some very good Corners are going to go before us and I think that the best alternate pick here would be Bryce Hall out of Virginia. Mack Wilson truly is everything you want in an inside linebacker or maybe more importantly everything we need with sideline-to-sideline speed very good instincts and a very good tackler. So the obvious question is if he's this good why did he last this long and my answer is because there are some very good defensive backs scale positions and rushers that I believe will pack the field prior to Mack Wilson being selected.

**Steelers shock Steeler Nation

-- Trade up from 55 to 35 (NYG) 

55, 4th round pick, 2020 4th

Round 2: CB Bryce Hall, Virginia

I know we don't trade up often but I have us trading up here because of our need for a solid defensive back in Bryce Hall at this point in the draft would be a steal in my opinion. He has all the things that Artie Burns was expected to develop into already and would easily be a starter in our defense immediately. That isn't to say he doesn't have things to learn and improve on that's just a comparison to what we already have.

Round 3: OLB Oshane Ximines, Old Dominion

This guy has all the tools and all the measurables you want he's going to need some coaching obviously but I do feel like he can develop into a very good outside linebacker and immediately improve the quality of our depth.

Round 5: WR Juaun Jennings/Tenn

He has very good size and respectable speed. His production seems limited but you have to consider that for much of his collegiate career he had Joshua Dobbs and his quarterback. When Joshua Dobbs went to the NFL the quarterback play at Tennessee only got worse. This is a wide receiver who could slide under the radar because of his lack of production because of the quality of Team he was on being so poor Andy could end up being a wide receiver that performs at a very high level with a Hall of Fame quarterback throwing him the ball.

Round 6: DE Kingsley Keke Texas A&M 

This is the defensive end who is a very good run-stopper however he has not dominated the pass-rushing element of his game but has over the last season or so shown potential for development there. At this point in the draft you're probably driving project players anyway and this is what this guy is but he might be worth the risk.

Round 7:  OG A.T. Hall/Stanford

Respectable run blocker project pass blocker who I think could very well Blossom overtime under Munchak

Positions are more than fine done but way behind on players.

I think they will use FA to strengthen CB...might still add high pick.

Steelers very unlikely to not add an offensive player in 1st 3 rounds(RB/IOL/TE if they don’t resign James)

51 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Positions are more than fine done but way behind on players.

I think they will use FA to strengthen CB...might still add high pick.

Steelers very unlikely to not add an offensive player in 1st 3 rounds(RB/IOL/TE if they don’t resign James)

I forgot to add this in there but I am projecting the Steelers to add Jay Ajayi, Deone Bucannon, and an FA CB to the roster prior to the draft also 

Just now, wwhickok said:

I forgot to add this in there but I am projecting the Steelers to add Jay Ajayi, Deone Bucannon, and an FA CB to the roster prior to the draft also 

I'd stay far far far away from Jay Ajayi.  His right knee is arthritic and degenerative.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'd stay far far far away from Jay Ajayi.  His right knee is arthritic and degenerative.

I know I might catch hell for this but the running back I would really like to see us take a chance on given his immediate show of remorse and accepting the consequences is Kareem hunt. I don't want him to start over James Conner but I tell you what after he serves his suspension I'm not sure I'd have a problem with the Pittsburgh Steelers giving him a second chance

Just now, wwhickok said:

I know I might catch hell for this but the running back I would really like to see us take a chance on given his immediate show of remorse and accepting the consequences is Kareem hunt. I don't want him to start over James Conner but I tell you what after he serves his suspension I'm not sure I'd have a problem with the Pittsburgh Steelers giving him a second chance

Quietly.....me too.  Hunt and Conner would be a deadly lightning and thunder combo that both have elements of each others game (Hunt isn't a power back but can run with power, Conner isn't a speed scat back, but has moves).  Could you imagine defending a double side car 12 personnel in the shotgun where it's Hunt and Conner in the backfield, McDonald at TE, Brown and Juju at WR.

Just now, warfelg said:

Quietly.....me too.  Hunt and Conner would be a deadly lightning and thunder combo that both have elements of each others game (Hunt isn't a power back but can run with power, Conner isn't a speed scat back, but has moves).  Could you imagine defending a double side car 12 personnel in the shotgun where it's Hunt and Conner in the backfield, McDonald at TE, Brown and Juju at WR.

That is exactly where my head is at. I don't normally advocate for signing guys with issues like the one that Kareem Hunt is dealing with but unlike Ray Rice in my opinion he has owned up to what he did wrong he is taking responsibility going through the steps that are necessary to make positive changes and accepting of the consequences that he knows are going to come into me I feel like that makes him worthy of at least a one-year prove it deal. And I'm going to be honest I could see New England going out and getting him and I would love nothing more than for the Pittsburgh Steelers to get him before they have the chance

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

That is exactly where my head is at. I don't normally advocate for signing guys with issues like the one that Kareem Hunt is dealing with but unlike Ray Rice in my opinion he has owned up to what he did wrong he is taking responsibility going through the steps that are necessary to make positive changes and accepting of the consequences that he knows are going to come into me I feel like that makes him worthy of at least a one-year prove it deal. And I'm going to be honest I could see New England going out and getting him and I would love nothing more than for the Pittsburgh Steelers to get him before they have the chance

I don't think NE will.  Sony Michel has been a stud for them (damn I really wanted Michel).

19 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I was hoping to ask about what your plan was for UFA because that plays into all this.  Is the UFA CB a starter or another colbert sideliner . Ajayi has bad knees, maybe a different UFA RB or draft one mid rounds? Maybe trade for a RB that has breakaway speed

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I forgot they had him honestly

they will help you remember once we play our dime out of necessity

Mack Wilson does not excite me.  I think he is solid but not explosive.  He is the 2nd best ILB but I am not quite sure he is the athlete they need.  If they picked him in the mid 20s I would not feel bad.  If they picked him in the teens I would be pissed.  Depends on who is on the board.

1st round will be ILB, CB or OLB.  BPA of those.  This is NOT a draft to need a ILB.  They might hit it big with a OLB.  I would not feel bad if they took Jachai Polite at #1 since he is elite athlete ( there for the Steelers will love him).  D'Andre Walker in the #2 could also work.  he is just good not elite.  I am still a huge fan of Sutton Smith but I would take him as a ILB.

Oshane Ximines is a good pick in the 3rd.  He is not flashy but solid.

For CB it all depends on where they draft.  DeAndre Baker should be there in the early 20s. Amani Oruwariye as well. Greedy Williams is top 10.  Kris Boyd is in the teens.  i love Rock Ya-Sin.  he could be there in the 2nd.  Not sure if A.J. Green (CB Oklahoma) is coming out but I have liked him as well.

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

They should’ve claimed him if they had any interest in him, because of him still being on the rookie contract. 

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

they had no problem signing Vick so maybe they thought of it. I would opt for a RB in the draft that has break away speed as a nice rotational player or back up to Connor. There making a big deal out of what Hunt did, but then what if he has a minor incident again, what would the suspension be?  It's similar with Gilbert too, can we trade him considering he has health issue and suspension #1 on his resume?

Archived