Close, but no Cigar Thread

baltimoreRebel

Had this idea for a thread. 

What are some old Ravens who showed flashes  but never quite panned out? It can be anyone from the past who showed some signs of great potential but never panned out? I'll start. 

Antwan Barnes 

NFL Draft 2007 / Round 4 Pick / #134

I remember him showing some flashes. Smaller pass rusher but showed some pretty impressive bull rushes and spin moves at times. I remember thinking that he could a real player for us. He sort of fizzled out and nothing ever came of him. He did have a few clutch plays though. 

Jared Gaither

Supplemental Draft Pick

Gaither had some really solid starts for us. Definitely looked like a pillar that would last us a decade. Unfortunately his flaws and lack of commitment started to show itself regularly. Let's be honest, he was flat out lazy. I had such high hopes for him. 

Anyone else have some good names? 

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Bernard Pierce for sure. Looked so good his rookie year, but was never close to the same as a runner. IDK if it was injuries or work ethic, but he totally fell off a cliff.

First name that popped into my mind as soon as I read "showed flashes but never panned out"

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Tavares Gooden. If his instincts were better he could have been a man ahead of his time in terms of athleticism at the position. Just wasn't consistent enough though.

Man I remember T-Good...I used to call him the Hitman because in the old Madden's he was always the guy on kickoffs that would hit stick the returner for me.

Some other names I'd like to submit:

Tom Zbikowski

Rashaan Melvin

Terrence Brooks

Chris Moore (is headed that way)

Terrance Cody

Michael Oher (if we're going with Jared Gaither)

Terrance West

I'm noticing every guy we draft named "Terrance" has a common trend here...

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

First name that popped into my mind as soon as I read "showed flashes but never panned out"

Same. 

RR was still good, still effective, and obviously had some big plays left in him- 4th &29. He wasn't the same kind of player he had been though. Way less explosive, and clearly on his last legs as a franchise back. I blame his 1,000 college touches. Pierce helped prop up a running game that needed the extra juice.

Pierce's contributions as a change of pace option fly under the radar as far as our Championship season goes. He is "The Flash", but as I've said many times before. The only goal in football is to win championships. And Pierce was well worth his 3rd Round selection for helping us to do so.

Matt Elam.

Dude looked so promising his rookie year, like a legitimate starter. Then he just completely fell off the face of the map. Some of these other guys that have been mentioned might have shown flashes in bursts, but Elam legitimately looked good over the course of his entire rookie season before just losing any level of talent he had in the remainder of his NFL career.

20 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Matt Elam.

Dude looked so promising his rookie year, like a legitimate starter. Then he just completely fell off the face of the map. Some of these other guys that have been mentioned might have shown flashes in bursts, but Elam legitimately looked good over the course of his entire rookie season before just losing any level of talent he had in the remainder of his NFL career.

Yeah, I’m still confused by that guy. Elam was the only safety that I scouted that year that I thought could be a legit option at the next level. I thought he was a probowl talent. Now I’d obviously rank Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick above him, as I see them as All Pro talents, but I definitely saw Elam as a cant miss prospect. I thought his rookie season looked similar to what we’re getting out of our current safeties. I thought for sure that he would take the next step in his sophomore season.

Only Elam thought it was a good idea to intern at the Foot Locker for some reason vs work on his NFL craft. Grade A moronic move if ever there was one.

How about Marlon Brown?

He came out of nowhere in 2013 with 49 catches for 524 yards and 7 TDs! His game-winning catch vs Minnesota in the snow was amazing. 

He had a great 6-5 frame, I thought he had loads of potential. He was undrafted because of a knee injury in college, but was considered a legit prospect. After injuries and inconsistency, he was never heard from again. 

I think that Marlon Brown's 2013 season was more a product of playing lots of snaps than anything else, kinda like Kamar Aiken in 2015.  Look at the other receiving options in 2013 - outside of Torrey Smith it was horrifying 

On 12/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, AngusMcFife said:

How about Marlon Brown?

He came out of nowhere in 2013 with 49 catches for 524 yards and 7 TDs! His game-winning catch vs Minnesota in the snow was amazing. 

He had a great 6-5 frame, I thought he had loads of potential. He was undrafted because of a knee injury in college, but was considered a legit prospect. After injuries and inconsistency, he was never heard from again. 

This is what always bothered me about the whole "Flacco doesn't elevate guys around him to greatness" argument. Well look what he's worked with and look what they've done after him.

He absolutely elevated guys who have done nothing before or since to at least serviceable/good when they were here...

Marlon Brown

Mark Clayton 

Kelly Washington

Torrey Smith

Jacoby

All guys who were at worst solid here with us (as receivers), and completely disappeared or very seriously declined once they left. And for most of them - good reason...they weren't great to begin with.

18 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

This is what always bothered me about the whole "Flacco doesn't elevate guys around him to greatness" argument. Well look what he's worked with and look what they've done after him.

He absolutely elevated guys who have done nothing before or since to at least serviceable/good when they were here...

Marlon Brown

Mark Clayton 

Kelly Washington

Torrey Smith

Jacoby

All guys who were at worst solid here with us (as receivers), and completely disappeared or very seriously declined once they left. And for most of them - good reason...they weren't great to begin with.

Please lets not have every thread be about Flacco. 

Archived