The greatness of Saquon Barkley

Gmen

Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?

• Yes, that is pretty obvious
    • No, but I know now

There was a lot of discussion about whether the Giants made a mistake selecting a running back second overall.  While it's too early to make that judgement, Saquon Barkley has had an amazing rookie season and has been an absolute joy to watch. 

• He's on pace for 1380 yards, 780 receiving yards (2150 total), and 16 total touchdowns
  • He's third in the league in rushing yards behind Elliot and Gurley.  At 5.4 YPC he has a better yards per carry than both
  • He has 8 gains of 40+ yards.  In the past 26 years only two running backs have had more in a single season - Chris Johnson and Barry Sanders. He weighs 30 lbs more than those guys
  • According to next gen stats he was clocked at 21.91 MPH on one of his TD runs - the fastest of any player this year
  • At 74 broken tackles, he has the most broken tackles in the league according to football outsiders.  The next best is James Connor with 55
  • He had 141 yards facing 8 man fronts against the Redskins

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/LongFormArticle/Saquon-Barkley-rookie-of-the-year-Giants-stats-126177397/#126177397_3

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/2017/rotopass-broken-tackles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80v3EoGOfTQ

9 minutes ago, Gmen said:
  • According to next gen stats he was clocked at 21.91 MPH on one of his TD runs - the fastest of any player this year
  •  

Note that this is the fastest rushing touchdown; there have been faster rushers / rushes that didn't go for touchdowns, as well as a faster interception return and reception. 

But yeah, he's good. 

12 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

It's not.  They made a mistake.

For 2018 they didn't make a mistake. No player on the board would have given them more wins than Barkley this year. The QBs probably wouldn't be as effective as Eli so that would pretty much be a negative, for 2018.

Now if you project the rookie QBs available to be stars in the future then you could say it was a mistake, unless of course they get their own QB in the future who is ready year one.

The Browns made a mistake not taking Wentz. He would have made them better in 2016 and 2017. By 2018 that problem resolved itself with the Mayfield pick and they also added Peppers, Ward and Chubb so while last year after the season it was a terrible move right now it is looking pretty good. Barkley may or may not turn out to be the best decision but it is too soon to say for sure.

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

For 2018 they didn't make a mistake. No player on the board would have given them more wins than Barkley this year. The QBs probably wouldn't be as effective as Eli so that would pretty much be a negative, for 2018.

Now if you project the rookie QBs available to be stars in the future then you could say it was a mistake, unless of course they get their own QB in the future who is ready year one.

The Browns made a mistake not taking Wentz. He would have made them better in 2016 and 2017. By 2018 that problem resolved itself with the Mayfield pick and they also added Peppers, Ward and Chubb so while last year after the season it was a terrible move right now it is looking pretty good. Barkley may or may not turn out to be the best decision but it is too soon to say for sure.

That's the key.  I don't think you can say that about Darnold, Allen or Rosen based on this year.  That's not to say they can't turn it around.

Redskins fans just salty given the arrow for their franchise is perpetually pointed downward

I said before the draft that he was the best RB I'd ever seen in my life.  FTR I've been watching football regularly since 1999-2000.

And he's done nothing as a rookie to change my mind.  He's not only the best RB in the league but arguably a top 2 player in the league overall (along with Aaron Donald).

Its ridiculous what he's doing behind that o-line and with Eli Manning as his QB.  He's definitely exceeded my expectations for him as a rookie given what he has surrounding him. 

45 minutes ago, Gmen said:

There was a lot of discussion about whether the Giants made a mistake selecting a running back second overall.  While it's too early to make that judgement, Saquon Barkley has had an amazing rookie season and has been an absolute joy to watch. 

•  

Ah,  yeah, well, guess I'd have to admit that Saquon is doing okay, so far. Though I'll admit that I wept bitter tears when they chose him over Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Tad Sobber, Dudd Flockley, and Mike TeeVee.

Just kidding. As a Giants' fan I am wild with hope, such as they haven't had since Lawrence Taylor burst onto the scene. Watching Saquon run, behind some pretty sketchy blocking, I am reminded of highlight films of a former great NFL running back. Can't recall the name. Cleveland guy. Trent Richardson, maybe? Not sure- but if anybody watches the old films, he reminds me of this one guy:

Image result for Jim Brown football

It's amazing how consistent (as well as how great) Saquon has been playing on a team with no QB or o-line. I just hope he has leadership skills so the team will stop trying to follow Odell (who is probably my favorite player to watch but is obviously not leadership material regardless of talent level).

It's tricky, because he looks the part of a Hall of Fame runningback. However, they still have no plan for the QB position moving forward. Darnold, Rosen, and Allen haven't looked good enough for me to consider the pick a mistake, yet.

58 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

It's tricky, because he looks the part of a Hall of Fame runningback. However, they still have no plan for the QB position moving forward. Darnold, Rosen, and Allen haven't looked good enough for me to consider the pick a mistake, yet.

At some point the only QB's name that should be mentioned in hindsight,  Is Baker Mayfield.

However it was never a mistake. They have 2/3 of potentially the best Trio in the NFL, Hands down!. Now just go find the FQBOTF via the draft, FA or trade!

Archived