The greatness of Saquon Barkley

Gmen

Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?

• Yes, that is pretty obvious
    • No, but I know now

I think he was the right pick. If you give me the opportunity for the Giants to take a swing at a "blue chip" quarterback (and Darnold, Allen, and Rosen look less than promising right now) or take a running back like Barkley, I'm taking Barkley. Saquon is something else.

28 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

At some point the only QB's name that should be mentioned in hindsight,  Is Baker Mayfield.

However it was never a mistake. They have 2/3 of potentially the best Trio in the NFL, Hands down!. Now just go find the FQBOTF via the draft, FA or trade!

It can't be mentioned in hindsight, Baker was off the board when they picked.

Barkley left Penn State as their best RB ever, sorry, Franco, Lenny, Lydell, John, Larry, Curt, Greg. He is already the best RB the Giants have ever had sorry, Frank, Ron, Tiki, Rodney, Alex.

He has extra ordinary power for a speed guy,  out in space he's a load to deal with, usually guys with his speed/quicks don't possess his power. Few RB's can run away from cornerbacks, he has long range jets and at his weight, that's rare.

In HS he was a sprinter, long jumper and a.......shot putter????

6 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

It's tricky, because he looks the part of a Hall of Fame runningback. However, they still have no plan for the QB position moving forward. Darnold, Rosen, and Allen haven't looked good enough for me to consider the pick a mistake, yet.

I would have only taken Josh Allen over Saquon Barkley before the draft.  And that's still the case for me today.  I had Saquon Barkley as my #1 overall rated prospect and Josh Allen as my #2 overall rated prospect.  Given the importance of the QB position, I would have taken Josh Allen (if I were the Giants).  With that said, nobody should feel bad about taking Saquon Barkley.  He's arguably the most talented RB in NFL history.

40 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Of course it’s the wrong pick. You never take a back that high. If you don’t believe there a a franchise QB you trade down or take another position.

I'd argue Barkley is more than just a RB if he can consistently produce 700-800 receiving yards during his career too.

i don't mind taking a RB top 5 if you're truly getting an elite RB prospect. My only reservations would be age, lots of touches means a shorter career and opportunity for passing up a premium position like QB or edge rusher. I can't fault NY for passing on these QBs but they might have missed on Chubb if develops into another elite pass rusher.

Wrong pick =/= Bad pick

I don't think many people thought Saquon would be a bad player. The concern was the value of a RB. Saquon's a monster but the Giants were essentially eliminated from playoff contention at midseason.

This isn't a question that can be answered now or even next year. If a few years down the line the Giants are consistently sub .500 while still trying to find a QB, and Darnold, Allen, or Rosen are having a ton of success, then it was the wrong pick. If the 2018 QB class doesn't amount to much or if the Giants find their QB in the next year or two, then it's the right pick.

21 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Why people still say this just baffles me.

Because it’s true. Having a “star” running back is a luxury not a need. I don’t care if he’s “generational”.

Also a successful running game is vastly overrated in terms of wins and losses

For those saying it's a bad pick - was Tomlinson a bad pick for the Chargers when they took him at 5? Remember, they had the #1 pick - and Michael Vick for the taking - but the Chargers opted to move down from the franchise QB and pick up the RB. 

Serious question, let's talk this out. Vick was viewed as arguably the most dangerous weapon to ever come our as QB, very much a "franchise" QB in 2001. Were the Chargers incorrect in not selecting Vick and selecting Tomlinson instead?

Archived