The greatness of Saquon Barkley

Gmen

Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?

• Yes, that is pretty obvious
    • No, but I know now

53 minutes ago, VanS said:

No player in the NFL outside of Aaron Donald is more dominant at their position right now than Saquon Barkley.

Poor Alvin Kamara and Myles Garrett. It wasn't too long ago that you were telling us all about their all-time greatness. ;)

Saquon is as advertised. If he stays healthy? Nothing will keep from the HOF. He can do it all & is an absolute pleasure to watch. 

Tbh, I just love seeing the RB position so stacked. It's been a while since the league has had such depth of talent at RB.

(Gurley / Zeke / Saquon have all justified their early first round status in the draft... Good news for the incoming RB classes)

We are likely to see a few Hofers from this current crop.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

No player in the NFL outside of Aaron Donald is more dominant at their position right now than Saquon Barkley.

So? Dominance at their position doesn’t make you a top 2 player- take your argument to the extreme, where’s the most dominant kicker end up?

40 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Poor Alvin Kamara and Myles Garrett. It wasn't too long ago that you were telling us all about their all-time greatness. ;)

They're still gonna be all-time great.  They've just not been as dominant this year as their potential says they can be.  It happens.  Every year isn't gonna be a career year. 

12 minutes ago, mistakey said:

So? Dominance at their position doesn’t make you a top 2 player- take your argument to the extreme, where’s the most dominant kicker end up?

You can disagree and rank a whole bunch of mediocre QBs higher than him based on positional value.  I rate the player simply based on how dominant they are compared to their peers.

Aaron Donald and Saquon Barkley have separated themselves from the pack.  No other player is clearly the best at their position like those two.  

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

They're still gonna be all-time great.  They've just not been as dominant this year as their potential says they can be.  It happens.  Every year isn't gonna be a career year. 

That's not what you were telling us in the preseason/early season. You have a strong tendency to engage in hyperbole.

48 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's not what you were telling us in the preseason/early season. You have a strong tendency to engage in hyperbole.

When did I say I was infallible?  Kamara and Myles have had dissapointing seasons given my expectations for them.   But unlike most I don't change my opinions on the quality of a player based on short term results.  

1 minute ago, VanS said:

When did I say I was infallible?  Kamara and Myles have had dissapointing seasons given my expectations for them.   But unlike most I don't change my opinions on the quality of a player based on short term results.  

It's not about infallibility, dude. It's about the exaggerations. I actually don't think you're bad at evaluating talent. But you have such a tendency to overstate things and inflate the ability of players you like. You shouldn't be tossing around HOF and all-time great comparisons like candy.

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's not about infallibility, dude. It's about the exaggerations. I actually don't think you're bad at evaluating talent. But you have such a tendency to overstate things and inflate the ability of players you like. You shouldn't be tossing around HOF and all-time great comparisons like candy.

Don't worry.  You won't be seeing that much over the next few years.  I've simply just loved the talent that has entered the league over the last 2 years.  The next 2 drafts look extremely weak in comparison.

13 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I'll admit, I was happy that the Giants took him instead of a franchise QB. Now i'm not so sure especially if the Giants find one in the draft.

I'm in the same boat. For as good as Barkley has been, what has that gotten them? A 5-8 record. Barkley's not going to play that much better than he has this season, that's the nature of the RB position. His YPC could bump up to ~6 in a year with great run blocking and better pass game, but I mean there IS a ceiling on RB play and I'm not going to predict anybody breaking it and setting a new standard (...although if I had to pick somebody to do it, it'd have to be Barkley).

An average QB probably leads to more wins than an elite RB, that's just the reality. Now pair that elite RB in his ideal situation vs pairing an average QB in his ideal situation, and the elite RB's offense will be epic compared to the average QB's, but Giants are far from an ideal situation. They're probably not going to be in position to grab the best 2 QBs this year unless they trade up, so now you've delayed finding the QBOTF for 2 years... but with Saquon's play, that probably keeps you out of the Tua sweepstakes too. Barkley is going to haunt the division and be a real pain, but as long as they don't have a QB, they won't actually threaten for any SBs.

I've said it before, when you've drafted a HOF talent, regardless of position, I'm not going to call it a mistake, just can't do that.. and barring a career altering injury, Barkley is going to be a HOFer... but let's just say I don't think taking Darnold would have been a mistake either, and might have made their path to success and the leash for the current regime crystal clear, as opposed to now where they just have to pray they find a young QB asap.

14 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Show me the information and context then. 

Why is having a superstar running back a necessity? 

First off let’s get this out of the way, it’s too early to say any of this because it’s 1 year and people tend to judge way too quickly and act like draft picks are just a one year investment.

Second of all we have no idea what the QBs that we passed on are gonna be. Just because they’re high picks doesn’t make them automatically franchise QBs.

Third of all, you have no clue how the Giants viewed the QBs in the draft. Not a scooby. So the Giants didn’t think they were passing on a franchise QB. They did not rate them highly. You assume that the Giants had the choice of choosing a franchise a QB they loved or Saquon. 

The value of a superstar running back is huge, they can control games, make life easier for QBs. I mean stuff that is obvious . 

Archived