The greatness of Saquon Barkley

Gmen

Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?

• Yes, that is pretty obvious
    • No, but I know now

56 minutes ago, Danger said:

If I'm the Giants. I'm offering Oakland a 2nd round pick and change for Derek Carr.

Nah, you don't wanna be in Andy Dalton/Matt Stafford/Alex Smith/Kirk Cousins land. In other words, you don't wanna commit a good chunk of your cap space to an average QB so you can be trapped at sub .500 forever.

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Nah, you don't wanna be in Andy Dalton/Matt Stafford/Alex Smith/Kirk Cousins land. In other words, you don't wanna commit a good chunk of your cap space to an average QB so you can be trapped at sub .500 forever.

His cap hit would be about 10.5% of the cap this year, which really isn't a good chunk. And that's the highest it will ever be as after next year his salary actually starts decreasing (meanwhile the cap should continue to rise). 

Really just about whether you think you can win a super bowl with him

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

His cap hit would be about 10.5% of the cap this year, which really isn't a good chunk. And that's the highest it will ever be as after next year his salary actually starts decreasing (meanwhile the cap should continue to rise). 

Really just about whether you think you can win a super bowl with him

...and people are forgetting he's a few years removed from an MVP-esque season, and has had some pretty bad coaching in that timeframe. 

I think that 2016 season was an outlier in terms of Carr's overall career arc, but not by much. Comparing him to Dalton is pretty far from center, IMO.

18 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

For 2018 they didn't make a mistake. No player on the board would have given them more wins than Barkley this year. The QBs probably wouldn't be as effective as Eli so that would pretty much be a negative, for 2018.

Now if you project the rookie QBs available to be stars in the future then you could say it was a mistake, unless of course they get their own QB in the future who is ready year one.

The Browns made a mistake not taking Wentz. He would have made them better in 2016 and 2017. By 2018 that problem resolved itself with the Mayfield pick and they also added Peppers, Ward and Chubb so while last year after the season it was a terrible move right now it is looking pretty good. Barkley may or may not turn out to be the best decision but it is too soon to say for sure.

If you have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB the worst thing you can do is put it off and pray that you'll be in that position in the future. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Browns got lucky with how things turned out for them.

18 hours ago, VanS said:

I said before the draft that he was the best RB I'd ever seen in my life.  FTR I've been watching football regularly since 1999-2000.

And he's done nothing as a rookie to change my mind.  He's not only the best RB in the league but arguably a top 2 player in the league overall (along with Aaron Donald).

Its ridiculous what he's doing behind that o-line and with Eli Manning as his QB.  He's definitely exceeded my expectations for him as a rookie given what he has surrounding him. 

lol what

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Bingo - I've said it before, I'd take Drew Lock/Dwayne Haskins/Justin Herbert/Will Grier and Saquan over Allen/Rosen/Darnold and Bryce Love or the Memphis RB.

I'd also salivate at the thought of Ryan Tannehill or Derek Carr in this offense over any of the rookie QBs and nothing at RB. If Carr, Tannehill or Jameis Winston is a FA, the Giants are the clear front runners to get them, and the Giants suddenly turn into a scary team on offense.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

at pick 10, the giants arent *likely* going to get a franchise qb.  i wouldnt salivate at any of those vet answers.
not too excited for the long term future of them
that being said, seems like they made the right call to pass on darnold, at least so far

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

For those saying it's a bad pick - was Tomlinson a bad pick for the Chargers when they took him at 5? Remember, they had the #1 pick - and Michael Vick for the taking - but the Chargers opted to move down from the franchise QB and pick up the RB. 

Serious question, let's talk this out. Vick was viewed as arguably the most dangerous weapon to ever come our as QB, very much a "franchise" QB in 2001. Were the Chargers incorrect in not selecting Vick and selecting Tomlinson instead?

they could have selected Seymour instead who would have been perfect for their dominating 3-4.  splitting hairs there though.  that being said LDT is one of the only backs ever to break the curse of the 370.  still didnt keep them out of the gutter for long, as they had to select 1st overall again in 2004

I love Barkley.  There isn't a WR/RB combo better than Odell Beckham Jr and Saquon Barkley; however, this game is built around QB play and the Giants don't have one.  It's so difficult to get a quality QB that you just can't assume the Giants will get one, either.  Until they get a good QB, all of this stuff doesn't even matter because they won't be a relevant team in the postseason.

His play speaks for itself. He's unbelievable. I'm going to talk more about his personality and mentality, since it hasn't been mentioned here yet. If he isn't already, he's going to be the king of New York. 26 jerseys are the new 10. He's incredibly personable and approachable, he's never going to get himself into trouble, and he's got the Barry Sanders style of modesty where he often just hands the ball off to a ref after a big play. Ive got friends who know him personally and say there is nothing fake about how he portrays himself to the media. He's a superstar. 

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Your view is absent of so much information and context that it’s not even funny. 

Also here’s a worthy note, Saquon isn’t 2 down back. He’s a very good receiving back.

Show me the information and context then. 

Why is having a superstar running back a necessity? 

20 hours ago, VanS said:

I said before the draft that he was the best RB I'd ever seen in my life.  FTR I've been watching football regularly since 1999-2000.

And he's done nothing as a rookie to change my mind.  He's not only the best RB in the league but arguably a top 2 player in the league overall (along with Aaron Donald).

Its ridiculous what he's doing behind that o-line and with Eli Manning as his QB.  He's definitely exceeded my expectations for him as a rookie given what he has surrounding him. 

During his time at penn state I had said that he was the best RB I’ve seen since Barry. I still believe that. 

Full disclosure I’m a penn state homer.

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Is it wrong for me to say, SaQuon is the Calvin Johnson of Runningbacks? We've seen big wide receivers, and fast wide receivers, but none of them had both to the degree Calvin Johnson did in one package. I'd say SaQuon is in the same conversation. 

Dude make cuts like LeSean McCoy, ran a 4.40 40 when he stumbled, and is 235 lbs. Not to mention he's a weight room freak. Setting multiple all time records for players at any position at Penn State.

Great comp.

I feel the exact same way.  Saquon is the Calvin Johnson of RBs. 

Archived