GDT: New England Patriots @ Pittsburgh Steelers

VigilantZombie

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’d be interested to hear from some more defensive minded people, but I can’t help but think that this would be a great week to have a 4 man Heyward - Hargreaves - Tuitt - Watt pass rush. Hargrave has been a force and is exactly the pressure that works on TB12. 

Preferably with Fort and Williams behind them and man 2 behind that. Dupree can rotate and just give 110% effort  

Not saying that’s our base or 100% defense, but I would really like to see that occasionally. Tight windows and a collapsing pocket. 

I've stated a few times on record that an alignment that puts Cam Heyward on the edge won't work because he doesn't have the bend, speed, and length to work on OT's.  He might get through at times, but he would mostly be a non-factor as a pass rusher.  If he was there as a base 4-3 end and kicked inside on pass downs, he could be decent (think of the way the Seahawks used Michael Bennett).  But for a down to down player, he wouldn't work out all that well.

I think out best course of action would a lining up in a 3-4, but instead of Bostic/Williams, go big nickel and put in Burnett (if healthy) as the other LB.

Makes sense @warfelg. I guess I’m just not overly concerned with Heyward getting around anyone, I purely want him to go through them. Get to Brady’s feet, don’t let him step up, and if he has to bail -only give him then roll left exit with Watt chasing. 

I just don’t know defense well enough to see the flaws. To me, I’m collapsing the pocket and only allowing him to exit to his weaker side. 

Just now, Dcash4 said:

Makes sense @warfelg. I guess I’m just not overly concerned with Heyward getting around anyone, I purely want him to go through them. Get to Brady’s feet, don’t let him step up, and if he has to bail -only give him then roll left exit with Watt chasing. 

I just don’t know defense well enough to see the flaws. To me, I’m collapsing the pocket and only allowing him to exit to his weaker side. 

The issue there if I were Brady and I saw that: I'm audibling into tosses, shotgun handoffs, and sweeps in that direction knowing Heyward can't get deep enough fast enough to stop that play.

33 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The issue there if I were Brady and I saw that: I'm audibling into tosses, shotgun handoffs, and sweeps in that direction knowing Heyward can't get deep enough fast enough to stop that play.

That’s where I imagine forte being man on the back and having two zone safeties able to stare in the backfield would be able to get there. I would have faith in Heyward as a guy who could at least help extend the edge a bit.

but overall I understand the concerns. 

What I would really like to see offensive Lee in this game is for us to not waste time trying to run the ball with Jaylen Samuels. If we need to run the ball for better or worse it needs to be with Stevan Ridley. Now I do understand that Steelers consider most screen passes running plays because they use it to elevate the running game and in those situations I'm fine with Jaylen Samuels being involved because he has in my opinion proven to be a very good receiving back but he cannot run the ball for crap. It's not even really his fault it's not something he really didn't College much it's not something he's had to develop as part of his game so I mean honestly that's not why the Steelers drafted him. Dare I say I would also love to see a Flea Flicker the ends up in the hands of JuJu downfield.

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

That’s where I imagine forte being man on the back and having two zone safeties able to stare in the backfield would be able to get there. I would have faith in Heyward as a guy who could at least help extend the edge a bit.

but overall I understand the concerns. 

Well, Sony Michel is good enough that he keeps picking up about 4-6 yards a play on this that your LB's/Safeties spread out some, which opens the middle of the field for Gronk.  They can also hit you with inside zone screens to Edelman on Heywards side in that place.

2 hours ago, DR43 said:

What makes you think you think Allen will have any success when he was on the practice squad earlier this year?

not as much a matter of success, rather less failure because how much more failure can it be. Thats how bad I feel about it, and I don't remember me ever feeling like this about the secondary , it's that bad. Allen should match up for anything height and range  but that is only part of it.  I have had enough of this secondary though, will they ever fix this? I doubt I could watch another season of a colbert D / draft

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

What I would really like to see offensive Lee in this game is for us to not waste time trying to run the ball with Jaylen Samuels. If we need to run the ball for better or worse it needs to be with Stevan Ridley. Now I do understand that Steelers consider most screen passes running plays because they use it to elevate the running game and in those situations I'm fine with Jaylen Samuels being involved because he has in my opinion proven to be a very good receiving back but he cannot run the ball for crap. It's not even really his fault it's not something he really didn't College much it's not something he's had to develop as part of his game so I mean honestly that's not why the Steelers drafted him. Dare I say I would also love to see a Flea Flicker the ends up in the hands of JuJu downfield.

I want to see double RB, motion Samuels out to the slot, quick toss WR screen.  Get him some space.  I don't see him as a guy that's ever going to operate well in traffic.

how about if the hyped OL takes control in the running game and (hello?) we actually run vs this weak front, own TOP and keep the game close. We need TD's, because FG's won't hold up vs brady playing his favourite D. Pardon me, FG attempts  :o

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Well, Sony Michel is good enough that he keeps picking up about 4-6 yards a play on this that your LB's/Safeties spread out some, which opens the middle of the field for Gronk.  They can also hit you with inside zone screens to Edelman on Heywards side in that place.

Are we still talking about my defensive alignment? Because I already had those concerns. 😉

29 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I mean,  I could give a more in depth analysis,  but we don't have the talent or all around coaching to beat them... Plus our confidence is shot.    

are we losing because of boswell, field conditions, Xray gear not up to standard, refs, weather, spotty wifi ? I might have missed some, but will we play a good game and still lose in a well contested game from both sides?  If burns is starting even playing on D , they don't deserve to win and the coaches should be called out. 

Here is my (hopeful) picks for today (the results im cheering for)

Falcons over Cardinals

Dallas over Indy

TB over Baltimore 

Lions over Bills

Bears over Packers

Raiders over Bengals

Jags over Skins

Dolphins over Vikings

Giants over Titans

49ers over Seachickens

Eagles over Rams

Panthers over Saints