What if the Chiefs lose their division and get one and doned as a Wild Card?

patriotsheatyan

7 minutes ago, game3525 said:

However, if they have a collapse like they did last year against Tennessee, then Reid might be in some trouble.

I would agree with this - if they choke away a 2nd half, that's gonna be huge.

Ultimately, people making decisions are going to look at the development of Mahomes and keep Reid around - regardless of progress in the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I would agree with this - if they choke away a 2nd half, that's gonna be huge.

Ultimately, people making decisions are going to look at the development of Mahomes and keep Reid around - regardless of progress in the playoffs.

Agreed. Even with a collapse, I still think Reid would be safe due to Mahomes development. However, I think Sutton would be let go in that situation. 

30 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

He just re-signed a new deal so hes not going anywhere.

Andy won the so-called  "power struggle" vs John Dorsey, the Chiefs are all- in on Andrew Walter Reid
IF they had any doubts, they might have kept Pederson or Nagy around to ascend to The Throne

A guy more on the hot seat is Bill O Brien. I’d fire him anything short of a Super Bowl Appearance. 

Doubt that will happen though. Maybe they even give him an extension. Sorry Texan Fans. You may have been better off never going on that amazing winning streak. 

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Andy won the so-called  "power struggle" vs John Dorsey, the Chiefs are all- in on Andrew Walter Reid
IF they had any doubts, they might have kept Pederson or Nagy around to ascend to The Throne

"Money" Mike Kafka is being groomed for the ascension in a few years.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

We're a top 5 team in football. That's not mediocrity. Mediocrity is what was expected of us.

Were the 2017 Rams mediocre because they went 11-5 and lost in round one of the postseason? McVay should've been on the hot seat for that, clearly.

My experience on the internet is telling me that @El ramster was being either being sarcastic or trolling, but I've only been doing this for maybe ~19 years.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

That’s different. Andy Reid has been getting one and doned for almost 20 years.

Although, no, he shouldn’t be on the hot seat at all with how great Mahomes has done in his system.

Reid has more career seasons with a playoff win than a one and done.

On a more serious note, Mahomes only signed a 4 year deal as a rookie so they have only this year and next to work with him on that deal before they have to either sign him to a new mega deal or risk letting him go into 2020 without already being locked up which could lead to a situation where he pulls a Kirk cousins if they franchise him. On top of that (I don't know much about the Chiefs but did some quick googling) other stars like Tyreek Hill and Kendall Fuller are only signed through 2019 and will also need to be resigned soon.

Now honestly with the salary cap rising like it has the past 10+ years, big deals aren't really franchise killers like they may have been in the past, but the Chiefs best window of opportunity to sign FA talent (and resign these guys) and win is going to be next year (and then it will probably open right back up with Brady, Rivers, and Roethlisberger all leaving soon while the aforementioned deals age), so why the hell would you fire Reid after this year, no matter what happens?

Bringing in a new coach is almost certainly going to set your team back a bit as the adjustments are made, and this just isn't the right time. I could see it happen after the 2019 season if the Chiefs collapse this year AND they have a bad year next year that isn't due to a bunch of injuries AND if they have a young star coordinator in house they want to switch to who they think will work better with Mahomes going forward. 

But considering that, as @Chiefer pointed out, Reid just resigned a new contract that is supposed to last through to 2021, I just don't see him being let go within the next couple years unless something crazy happens, much less the end of this season.

2 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

On a more serious note, Mahomes only signed a 4 year deal as a rookie so they have only this year and next to work with him on that deal before they have to either sign him to a new mega deal or risk letting him go into 2020 without already being locked up which could lead to a situation where he pulls a Kirk cousins if they franchise him. On top of that (I don't know much about the Chiefs but did some quick googling) other stars like Tyreek Hill and Kendall Fuller are only signed through 2019 and will also need to be resigned soon.

Now honestly with the salary cap rising like it has the past 10+ years, big deals aren't really franchise killers like they may have been in the past, but the Chiefs best window of opportunity to sign FA talent (and resign these guys) and win is going to be next year (and then it will probably open right back up with Brady, Rivers, and Roethlisberger all leaving soon while the aforementioned deals age), so why the hell would you fire Reid after this year, no matter what happens?

Bringing in a new coach is almost certainly going to set your team back a bit as the adjustments are made, and this just isn't the right time. I could see it happen after the 2019 season if the Chiefs collapse this year AND they have a bad year next year that isn't due to a bunch of injuries AND if they have a young star coordinator in house they want to switch to who they think will work better with Mahomes going forward. 

But considering that, as @Chiefer pointed out, Reid just resigned a new contract that is supposed to last through to 2021, I just don't see him being let go within the next couple years unless something crazy happens, much less the end of this season.

They have Mahomes 5th year option as well. 

Their best scenario is to use the 5th year option but pay him in between year 4 and year 5 which would be the 2021 off season. You’ll have on his rookie salary for 2021 still and the extension kicks in starting 2022. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They have Mahomes 5th year option as well. 

Their best scenario is to use the 5th year option but pay him in between year 4 and year 5 which would be the 2021 off season. You’ll have on his rookie salary for 2021 still and the extension kicks in starting 2022. 

Ah okay, I didn't know that the 5th year option wasn't enacted until the offseason after the player's 3rd year, so sites like Sportrac didn't list it yet, thought they hadn't signed him to a deal with one for some reason, didn't know it was an automatic (optional) addition for 1st rounders.

2 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

If Reid can’t win the  Super Bowl this year when will it happen. Its set up perfectly for him

Next year. Compare what the Chiefs did this offseason to what the Rams did. I don't think the Chiefs FO thought they would be this good this season. They are not built to win a Super Bowl this season. Next season is gonna be the year for KC. 

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

We're a top 5 team in football. That's not mediocrity. Mediocrity is what was expected of us.

Were the 2017 Rams mediocre because they went 11-5 and lost in round one of the postseason? McVay should've been on the hot seat for that, clearly.

You’re comparing a guy in his first year with a franchise to a guy in his 6th with one playoff win against the Bryan Hoyed led Texans?

11 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

You’re comparing a guy in his first year with a franchise to a guy in his 6th with one playoff win against the Bryan Hoyed led Texans?

Jak is perfectly fine with the way things are going. Doesn't see the need for a change.

Archived