First 2019 Mock

Sugashane

As always, this is what I would do, not what I would expect Pace and Co. to do.

The cap numbers are going to be off, I am just rolling with the old ones as Spotrac was being a pain in the *** and I was lazy.

This season-

Waiver Claims

HB Kareem Hunt – makes $642k in 2019, offsetting the $700K Howard was due to make (spoiler)

https://www.latimes.com/resizer/6IquRrlucVD88dXz6an0m9zjCjU=/1400x0/www.trbimg.com/img-5c042855/turbine/la-1543776335-vdgh6f0c1k-snap-image

I claimed him on waivers with @CBears019 as my legally binding e-witness, so we would still be running off his rookie deal. This wasn’t Vick, Rice, Hernandez, AP, etc. This was a minor incident that he is absolutely at fault for, but this shouldn’t be a career ruining move.

He will be suspended as the NFL and Goodell are ridiculously reactive. When back he will walk into an offense he has already mastered and will be the bellcow back, though he will be on the field with Cohen simultaneously more often than not.

Coaching Hires

Offensive Consultant - Joe DeFilippo

MIN fired him but his development with young QBs has been shown repeatedly. I stole the title from old Tom Moore (longtime OC for Peyton Manning). Trubisky’s mechanics aren’t where they need to be for him to be his best, and Flip can work with him directly, plus any young guys that may be brought in. I’m not sure what the salary would be but I’d make him the highest paid position coach in the game.

Offseason

Position Changes

TE ------> FB

Ben Braunecker

He can still be a reserve TE but he should be able to try to earn a bigger role. In KC Sherman has been used pretty heavily compared to FBs on other teams. Braunecker has a serious athletic profile and being from Harvard he should be able to understand the playbook and concepts from this position as well. I'd like to see us have another weapon to utilize and he has enough speed to be able to get in front for Hunt and Cohen initially. He also offers a much bigger threat in the passing game compared to Burton.

Cuts 

Dion Sims 6 million

Sam Acho 2.1 million

Bradley Sowell 1.5 million

Cap Room: 30 million

Restructure (stole almost entirely from Windy here – it’s 2:00am and I don’t want to get in depth with numbers too much)

Kyle Long: $10 million salary, 5 million cap hit, we meet in the middle at 7 million [3 million savings]. I love Long but he is a major injury risk, he has not topped 10 games for the 3rd year in a row. He is a likely cut in 2020 with a dead cap, but I am nervous of throwing two very inexperienced guys next to one another on the right side.Otherwise I might have to cut him this offseason.

***Copied a post from a convo I had with @dll2000

I think just due to the lack of draft capital to replace him. I kind of want to have him in 2019 because when he is on the field, he will get better results than any replacement we throw in there. What I would like though is to see us draft an OL like Jawaan Taylor from Florida with our 3rd. I think between him and Coward we could find the pair that replaces Long and Massie. I'm not a fan of throwing two rookies (or very inexperienced guys) together that aren't high profile players. We did it with Long and Mills and it worked before Mills started getting seriously leadfooted (I still think they should have been in each other's spots) and beaten so regularly by speed. So letting someone like Taylor and Coward fight for the RT spot next to Long and the other is relegated to the swing tackle spot or swing guard to gain experience for if/when Long goes down. Then at least your right side isn't on their first game together, and you will have experience to the left of them both initially. (Long >RT, and Whitehair >RG replacing Long).

Akiem Hicks: $6 million base salary converted to signing bonus [4 million savings]. The monster is staying put, just trying to make the deal more cap friendly with this re-structure

Chase Daniel – extended 1 year, goes from $3 mil to $5.5 mil guaranteed. Cap hit is now 4/4. To cut him next year has a dead cap hit of $1.5. If he doesn’t agree then he is cut and no one is overpaying him $6 mil in a year again.  

Cap Room: $38.5 million

Trades –

RB Jordan Howard for a 4th round. –

- Unsure who runs zone scheme, but he deserves to get utilized better than what Nagy has been able to/. Shocking that we had a worst line and QB situation, and no WRs so we were constantly facing 8 man fronts before, and Howard was much more efficient then compared to now. One of the true failings of Nagy and HH, but no matter, trade him so he is in a better situation and keep improving the team.

Free Agency

OT/OG Jake Fisher – 6’6”, 305lbs

2 years, $3 million - $1.5 mil guaranteed

Not a marquee signing, but a guy brought in just to see if he can be competent depth, likely the equivalent of Sowell but with more athleticism. He was a zone guy in college but assuming he has gotten stronger might be able to be a decent rotational guy. He is looking for a line coach to give his disappointing career a second chance, and HH is the guy to take a swing with. This is a low expectation signing

OLB – Mychal Kendricks – 6’0”, 240lbs

2 years, $6 million, ($4 guaranteed) – Structured 3/3

Kendricks is a hell of an athlete and can be a damn good player when on the field. He was suspended for the insider trading deal, which again to me isn’t a big deal. He served an 8 game suspension, so he paid his penalty.

Realistically Floyd has been really on and off  (though he is clearly trending upwards after the last few games IMO), and Trevathan has played all our games so far but has only played in 16 once (not counting his rookie year with minimal reps). Kendricks fits much of the same player profile that DT does, so he can fight with Floyd for OLB and provide depth at ILB should Smith or Trevathan go down. He is a heady vet and should prevent much drop off like Kwiatkoski would likely have should he be needed. This protects 2 positions so I am in favor of getting him as a swing LB of sorts.

NT – Danny Shelton – 6’2”, 345 lbs

2 years, $6 million ($4 guaranteed)

Danny is a pure run stuffer, and seems to have fallen out of favor in Belichick-land.  Like Fisher, he wants to rejuvenate his career and a dominant defense like Chicago is the perfect place to make yourself look good. Rotating in with guys like Mack, Hicks, Goldman, etc and with the DBs we have, he is able to be in the perfect spot to get one on ones and two-gap to keep our LBs free. To be honest, I am looking at giving his a shot to start on the DL, I want competition throughout, and if he, Hicks, and Goldman can shut down the run then we take his big arse out for RRH or Nichols let our passrushers get better matchups. If he is depth only then we have a significant upgrade to Jenkins.

Re-Signings

CB Bryce Callahan 4 years 30 million/16 guaranteed – 6/6/8/10 

Callahan has been fantastic for us, and I think this allows the Bears to retain him while keeping Amukamara for now. When Amukamara is cut or retired then this allows him to be paid more while we have Toliver or some draft pick step up and audition for the boundary CB spot.

Year 1:  4 million guaranteed salary, 2 million signing bonus

Year 2: 4 million guaranteed salary, 2 million signing bonus  

Year 3: 7 million salary, 2 million signing bonus

Year 4: 7 million salary, 2 million signing bonus

S Adrian Amos 4 years $26 million/$14 guaranteed - 5.5/6.5/6.5/7.5

Amos has been playing really well overall the last two years. He is still not an elite safety but the mean is far below him, so I want to keep him and the entire DB intact while I can. We have limited draft capital after trading for Mack (obviously well worth it) so we need to retain who we can. Thankfully Tru is on a very friendly rookie deal so that aids us greatly in retaining the talent we have, and reloading/developing through the draft.

Year 1:  $4 million guaranteed salary, $1.5 million bonus  

Year 2: $5 million guaranteed salary, $1.5 million bonus  

Year 3: $5 million salary, $1.5 million bonus  

Year 4: $6 million salary, $1.5 million bonus

WR Josh Bellamy 2 years 2.5 million/1 million guaranteed [1]

- Special teamer, not a horrible last option or garbage time WR

OG Brian Witzmann 1 year 1 million/100k guaranteed [1]

- Not near a starter, but has not been bad as a reserve

P Pat O'Donnell 1 year 1.5 million [1.5]

- Last audition for him to earn a bigger check or be replaced

RB Benny Cunningham 1 year 1.3 million/500k guaranteed [1.3]

- He will get too many reps early on but when Hunt gets activated he becomes essentially a STer with garbage time responsibilities

LS Patrick Scales 1 year 750k/250k guaranteed [.75]

- The rumor, the myth, the legend. His name is never said, which means he isn’t screwing up. Literally all you want as a longsnapper.  

RFA 

DE Roy Robertson-Harris [2nd round] 2.9 million

- Auditioning to get a bigger deal, no one is offering a 2nd for him so easy to re-sign, with Shelton signed he will really get to pin his ears back and rush without being gassed.

TE Ben Braunecker, non-tender, 1 year 750k

- I want him at FB, bulk up like they did for CornWash and put someone who can potentially be a weapon out of the backfield. Burton is JAG and at his best is average. FB is a spot you either want someone who can be REALLY good, or you just don’t bother using them. TE is stacked, so he isn’t getting used there, but can offer depth at TE and play FB. Worth a shot, if he fails then move on.

S Deandre Houston-Carson, non-tender, 1 year 750k

- He has been a solid STer, and I think he can be decent depth. Right now though he needs competition to warrant being the top reserve in the group of safeties.

ERFA 

OT Rashard Coward 602k

- I think he can be solid as a RT or OG, hopefully HH has really been working with him and developing him.

OLB Isaiah Irving 602k

- A kid with physical tools, he is developing and worth the minimal contract

Cap Room: 15.9 million

Draft

3rd – OT/OG Kaleb McCary (Washington)

Boig, strong kid with a serious mean streak. He has some bad habits in the run game with dipping his head and hand placement in the pass game, but if he gets a hold of you then you're done. He can anchor really well and might be one of the best drive blockers in the draft. If Coward shows advanced technique then I am 100% comfortable making him and OG. He will absolutely make holes to run through if we are to stay in a predominantly power scheme. If he is the starting RT then I want Shaheen helping chip really good rushers though.

Previously - Jawaan Taylor (Florida)

4978536.jpg

6’5”, 335 lbs

Heistand runs a power scheme, now we need to actually fit the bill. Massie has been better this year but is still a low ceiling guy, I want him to take a pay cut or move on. Taylor is a load, he has a fair bit of experience at either tackle, but Leno of course has LT locked down for the near future. Taylor is a powerful man with surprising agility. I like the idea of him and Coward battling for the RT position, and the other will be the replacement–to-be for Long in case of injury or when he is gone. Between the two of them, we have two guys that fit the power scheme model perfectly.

4th – S/NB Juan Thornhill

5b6a315826850.image.jpg?resize=1200,1493

6’0”. 200lbs

Thornhill is an impact defender. He has played spot duty at CB and primarily S in college, and he has a HUGE penchant for impact plays. He has 12 INTs in his last 35 games, and provides depth at any position in the defensive backfield. He can play at either safety position as a reserve, has the size and speed to be a boundary CB (though I think he would be more of a zone CB there), but I like him a lot as a matchup in the slot. He compliments Callahan extremely well, and between the two of them you have a guy who matches up with TEs (Thornhill) and WRs with speed (Callahan) in the middle. That lets you keep the press CB (Amukamara) and the off CB (Fuller) all in their normal advantageous spots.

Jackson is the one who MUST be re-signed, and when he does we will have a few moving parts to consider. Amukamara will likely be on his way out, so either Toliver or Thornhill can step into that role. If we need to release Amos in a few years because his play drops off, then Thronhill instead moves over to SS, allowing us to have one of the (if not the) most dynamic coverage duo in the NFL at S. Obviously I am a fan of the kid, and would not be surprised to see him soar up rankings into being a mid-to-early 2nd round prospect.

4th – EDGE Anthony Nelson (Iowa)

AR-170809708.jpg

6’7”, 270lbs

While an unusual size player that may be standing up and rushing, Nelson is a better athlete than Pernell McPhee ever was. He isn’t an awkward tall guy and doesn’t lack flexibility, he can still get under OTs. Nelson is a power rusher who could follow Mack to learn the intricacies of the position. He has long arms and has a pretty damn good swim move. I love his motor, and he is pretty solid against the run.

He can serve two purposes, he can either learn to play OLB in case Floyd doesn’t warrant a second deal, or he can focus on gaining size/strength and moving to DE in case RRH and Bullard fall through or simply for great depth. While IDK if he could ever properly 2gap as a 5T (I’d bet not) he is a guy who will be able to fill a role out and will bust his *** for you every single play. I wish Lynch had this kid’s heart.

5th – QB Easton Stick (North Dakota State)

5bff307cf106a.image.jpg?resize=400,320

6’2”, 220lbs

He is the closest to Trubisky physically in the draft that we can find without trying to make a stupid trade up. Stick was the one who not only took over for Wentz after he left for the NFL, but also when Wentz went down. As a true freshman he was able to lead the team. He has an NFL level arm, damn solid mobility, and is aware and accurate enough to limit turnovers.

While I would not expect him to be another Jimmy Garoppolo or Russell Wilson as a back up that becomes a franchise guy, he does have the make up of an Alex Smith in his play style and athletic ability, which fits the system wonderfully obviously. One year under Tru/Daniel and Daniel can be let go, as we will have a QB backing Tru up who will be able to keep a similar scheme and playcalling should Tru get pulled for whatever reason.

6th – WR Demetris Robertson (Georgia)

usatsi_11174447.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

6’0”, 185lbs

I’m not sure why he has been benched, but he is a top shelf athlete. There is a good chance he is top 3 in the combine (if even invited now) in the 40. While I would want to know more about his transfer from Cal and benching at Georgia, until I see more I am not going to assume the worst. Part of Pace’s responsibility is to keep weapons loaded for Tru, and Robertson has serious speed. He won’t be a Tyreek Hill, but he could stretch the field or be schemed to get the ball into his hands and let the speed make some impact plays for us. Best case scenario he becomes the deep threat Johnny Knox was. Worst case, he is a decoy that gets a few bombs a year. Not bad for a 6th rounder.

7th – HB Nico Evans (Wyoming)

AP_18239268451838.jpg

5’9’”, 210lbs

He came out of nowhere this year, having a stellar season while showing he is one of the most elusive players in the NCAA – he was ranked 3rd in Evaded Tackles with 52 this season. While I know he won’t be another Cohen on the field, I fully think he can be better than Mizzell. I’d also be interested in seeing if he could use said elusiveness in the return game as well.

UFA Targets

OT/OG - Ului Lapuaho (BYU)

ului-lapuaho-of-the-byu-cougars-in-actio

6’7”, 340lbs

I have no faith that he can handle the speed on the edge, but if he can get healthy then I think he can develop into a phone booth monster at OG. He is a very powerful guy who was highly regarded by his teammates and staff. He has been healing up from his surgeries and been just acting on field goal protection. May never even make it out of training camp, but the talent and size/strength warrants a flier for training camp. May even stash him on the PPUP/IR for a year to see if his knees are able to fully recover. I may even see if he can learn to snap, his hands are plenty big enough to maintain grip in cold/wet weather and might allow us to have a 3 position reserve, as I want to move on from Kush.

QB Nick Fitzgerald (Mississippi State)

9532723-nick-fitzgerald-ncaa-football-so

6’5”, 230lbs

Pretty much a practice squad stashaway. Very mobile guy with lackluster accuracy, but he is a guy who will be able to help prepare for mobile QBs on the practice squad. At some point it is important to realize the PS members likely won’t ever make a gameday roster. At least with this he can add a level of usefulness. If lucky then all the practice squad reps allow us to have 3 guys who fit the system and can allow us to potentially get a trade piece for one of the two reserves.

P – Zach Sinor (Oklahoma State)

punter-oklahoma-state-cowboys-p-zach-sin

5’10”, 225lbs

O’Donnell has to have competition, if he cannot beat a rather unheralded punter then we need to move on. Sinor has had a pretty good year punting, netting over 45 yards on average. His punting has improved all 4 years in a row, so hopefully Tabor could continue that trend with his coaching. If not then oh well.

K - Quinn Nordin (Michigan)

7584801.jpg

Just a stab in the dark here, he showed good accuracy with his long ones but missed 3 in the 30s, so maybe there is a technical flaw he has or needs a bit of coaching up to dial in his kicks. Either way Parky  (still refuse to spell his name correctly) should not get the job without competition as is.

2019 Depth Chart

QB – Trubisky, Daniel, Stick, Fitzgerald (PS)

HB – Hunt (suspended initially), Cohen, Cunningham, Mizzell/Evans (would stash Evans on PS if he loses battle)

FB – Braunecker

WR – Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Bellamy/ Robertson

TE – Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Brown

LT – Leno

LG – Daniels, Fisher/Witzmann, Lapuaho (PS)

C – Whitehair, Kush

RG – Long

RT – McGary/Coward (loser is swing OT)

LE – Hicks, Nichols

NT – Goldman, Shelton, Williams

RE – RRH/Shelton, Bullard

LOLB – Mack, Irving/Fitts/Nelson

ILB – Trevathan, Kendricks

ILB- Smith, Kwiatkoski/ Iyiegbuniwe

ROLB – Floyd/Kendricks/Nelson

CB – Fuller, Tolliver

FS – Jackson, Thrornhill/DHC

SS – Amos, Thrornhill/Bush

CB - Amukamara

NB – Callahan, McManis

K- Parky/Nordin

P – O’Donnell/Sinor

LS – Scales

Key

/ = positional battle

PS = practice squad bound

I like the thinking, overall. But...

--The waiver process is over for Hunt, isn't it?

--Why trade Howard for a fourth round pick? Just let him play out his deal.

--Fisher will be more expensive than $1.5 mil/year.

--If they re-sign Amos, they best frontload that contract. Heavily. 

--Anthony Nelson will be higher than a fourth round pick.

It'd be cool to have Fitzgerald as a QB prospect, though. Everything I've seen and read about the dude suggests he has real promise. 

--

44 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I like the thinking, overall. But...

--The waiver process is over for Hunt, isn't it?

--Why trade Howard for a fourth round pick? Just let him play out his deal.

--Fisher will be more expensive than $1.5 mil/year.

--If they re-sign Amos, they best frontload that contract. Heavily. 

--Anthony Nelson will be higher than a fourth round pick.

It'd be cool to have Fitzgerald as a QB prospect, though. Everything I've seen and read about the dude suggests he has real promise. 

--

The waiver process is over, but I said before the waiver process even started that I would take him on and claim him, so he would have been claimed by us since no one else claimed him. Cbears was someone who jokingly called himself the witness, so I tagged him.

With us having limited draft capital and having both Hunt and Cohen I just don't think Howard gets many touches, plus I kind of sympathize for him. The scheme hasn't fit what he has done for a long time, and Nagy/HH don't seem to be willing to adjust to throw in more zone scheme runs so far. I'd rather let him be productive and move on than make one of my favorite Bears sit at #3. I have no issue keeping him if he and Cohen were still the 1/2 combo though.

Yep. Fisher will be, you're right. I'm not sure what happened, I was waffling between a 1 year $3 mil or 2 year $6 mil deal, and guess I decided to really cut him low. lol  I'll fix it to a 1 year $3 mil deal, though that may still be a bit too low.

IDK what Fisher is worth to be honest, but $3 mil is probably pretty close to my limit for a project. Leno, Daniels, Whitehair and Coward are already on the roster and I had full intent of drafting a RT or RG, so I might just roll with Witzmann and let Lapuaho get a year in the system before turning him into the swing OG if he finds a bigger deal.

With the cap jumping something like 6% from what I remember JAF saying, I am not too worried about front loading it as much, though I honestly have no clue about the rollover we will have, so it may be very advantageous to frontload either his or Callahan's deal. His first two years tie up all but $2 million of his guarantees, so he is incapable of crippling the cap for the team.

Nelson probably will, he may jump to a 2nd. I've watched less non-Gators football this year than any of the last five years probably, so I have less to go on. Could probably sub in USC's Porter Gustin,  Willekes  from Michigan State or if we want to gamble on a high upside guy that is falling (worked with Jackson) we could look at Terrell Lewis from Alabama. I really like Nelson's game though.

Fitzgerald has talent but watching him he reminds me of Vince Young at times, minus the awful sidearm sling. Seems like he has to run a simple offense or run right now, and has little real talent around him. Really needs to learn how to play QB but seems to have some real talent. From what I have read he sounds like a tough kid that his teammates try to rally around too, so there should be a level of leadership to him too.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Nelson probably will, he may jump to a 2nd. I've watched less non-Gators football this year than any of the last five years probably, so I have less to go on. Could probably sub in USC's Porter Gustin,  Willekes  from Michigan State or if we want to gamble on a high upside guy that is falling (worked with Jackson) we could look at Terrell Lewis from Alabama. I really like Nelson's game though.

Nelson is really good. And has some pretty nifty movement ability from what I've seen--so he certainly projects as the type of player you have him as. And in your defense, that team has a very good D-line, so they rotate guys constantly. Makes them harder to peg. But yeah, he'll probably be gone by the fourth. You never know, though. I didn't think Eddie Jackson would be there in the fourth...

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Nelson is really good. And has some pretty nifty movement ability from what I've seen--so he certainly projects as the type of player you have him as. And in your defense, that team has a very good D-line, so they rotate guys constantly. Makes them harder to peg. But yeah, he'll probably be gone by the fourth. You never know, though. I didn't think Eddie Jackson would be there in the fourth...

Don't give me more hope than I already have.  lol

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Taylor is the best OT in this class and is going top 15 if he declares. Otherwise I like it but I’d try to keep Massie

Well ****. I've watched him a ton (Gators) and loved what he brought, but didn't realize he was getting as much attention as that. Most people barely knew his name last year. I was hoping Williams, Little and a few others still were the highly touted prospects, I should have checked around to see if there was any hype on him though. Forgot about Trey Adams' injury too. Wishful thinking I guess. Maybe McGary is available, or we get a small school guy like Tytus Howard on the rise.  I have been a fan of TEs and DL moving to OT for a while.

I'll decide who would fit better and more realistically then edit the mock later. Thanks for the update on that.

I like the Stick pick, and get him groomed to be a backup.  If we picked up Fitzgerald as a free agent I would like to see them try to make a receiving tight end with him.  Burton was a quarterback in college, and Fitzgerald has good size and speed to him.  I don't think he'll make the league as a quarterback.

17 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I like the Stick pick, and get him groomed to be a backup.  If we picked up Fitzgerald as a free agent I would like to see them try to make a receiving tight end with him.  Burton was a quarterback in college, and Fitzgerald has good size and speed to him.  I don't think he'll make the league as a quarterback.

Think he might be able to adapt to a TE like Logan did from Virginia Tech? That would be interesting.

I wouldn't bet money on him as a true QB either, but we've seen crazier things. lol

I actually think he could be the perfect 'grind it out' QB if he develops a bit. Get a big lead, throw him out there to do options and RPOs, let his legs do some damage, like a very poor man's Lamar Jackson. Let the clock keep running and keep your franchise QB healthy and away from damage during garbage time.

On 12/15/2018 at 5:03 PM, Sugashane said:

This was a minor incident that he is absolutely at fault for, but this shouldn’t be a career ruining move.

Damn let’s just forget about his two other incidents then jeez

Archived