Rumor: Jags to sign Kaepernick

pwny

We all know Jacksonville is not trying to make moves that would lead to this team winning games. Come on now. That's like Roger Goodell actually trying to do something about CTE or officiating. Just make a few moves to make it look like they're trying, but it's the same old crap in the end. Just with sprinkles on it. 

If they're going to bring him in as the starter, it could be a bit of an upgrade.  Maybe.  But they have to do it full-on.  You can't sign a guy with a specific skillset like Kaepernick and then wade in halfway with a farce of a "QB competition" within the same general system.  If you're bringing in Kaepernick, you bring him in with the full intention of making him the STARTER...and you tailor your offense around what he can do.  Roll with it.

I still don't really think it's a particularly great solution at this point.  There's a reason he fell out of favour as a starter and hasn't caught on in that capacity anywhere else.  He's a scheme-limited low-end starter, and a really poor backup...without any real upside at this point.  You're looking for a Franchise QB elsewhere in the draft either way.

But if Bortles looks as bad as he has...maybe it helps at least inject a bit of enthusiasm back into the season.  For a while at least.

On 8/22/2017 at 5:04 PM, Tugboat said:

I still don't really think it's a particularly great solution at this point.  There's a reason he fell out of favour as a starter and hasn't caught on in that capacity anywhere else.

I think we all know why he hasn’t gotten a job elsewhere. And it has nothing to do with football.

12 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I think we all know why he hasn’t gotten a job elsewhere. And it has nothing to do with football.

That may be the case in some situations, and the media attention accouterments complicate the situation just like Tebow would have, but i really don't buy that this is the only reason he's not starting for someone already.  He's simply not a good starting QB...he's proven that over time.  We know what he is.  He's also not what most teams want to have in a backup QB.  He's scheme dependent, needs the whole thing tailored to him and then carries an injury risk with the running that he needs to do to be successful (not ideal if you're already on your backup option, you don't want to go 3rd string).

So if you're bringing Kaepernick in, you're bringing him in to start.  And in doing so you're basically conceding that the best you can do at starting QB is a bottom-end starter, which is what Kaepernick has been since his initial spark caught some teams by surprise.  Now, a bottom-end starter may be a slight upgrade over what we have right now...but that's why the conversation has kicked into high gear here.  And it's still not going to be all that good of a season if that's the best you can muster up at the most important position on the field.

Teams have shown time and time again that they'll put up with all kinds of stuff, if the player is good enough or if they've invested enough in the guy.  This Jaguars team included.  Look at the extent of the crap they'll put up with from Fowler, or the way they turned a blind eye to some of Dede Westbrook's past.  There are plenty of players around the league who have decided to sit during anthems and whatnot, who are entirely employed - because they're good football players.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived