What do you think of the five first round rookie QBs so far?

patriotsheatyan

5 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson.

Mayfield - Somehow is going to become a bust because cleveland, looks like the best QB of the 1st round so far.

Darnold - Needs more talent around him, but the foundation is there.

Allen - Looks like the worst of the 5 QBs, his rushing ability came out of nowhere so like maybe that helps him out.

Rosen - Needs more talent around him, looks dreadful but too early to call given the Cardinals are dysfunctional under Wilks.

Jackson- I'm ready to declare him the next Tom Brady already, easily the best rookie QB of this draft class and will no doubt be a HOFer who wins 10 superbowls. Needs to work in his passing with a good OC/QB coach in the offseason, but overall he's the 2nd best IMO.

Another thread about timing. Mayfield playing on prime time tonight is easy to sway people's opinions.

To answer the question. Not much. I have been on record saying I was not impressed at all by any QB in the draft. Mayfield was the only one I had even a string of faith in. But I didn't like his chances after going to the Browns who not only have a bad history of QB development but his immature attitude being paired with Haley( a control freak) as a OC was poor match-up. 

That said, while it's still way too early to judge any of these QB's, I still have faith in Mayfield in maintaining an average QB spot when it's all said and done.

Edit: People need to stop judging players based on 1 or 2 years and start giving these QB's(players) a chance to develop before judging them. 

Mayfield seems alright for a rookie, but far below Heisman/1st pick expectations; beating a horrible Case Keenum should be by 2-3 scores not 1 point :/

Darnold had a game where he wasn't horrible. He'll need more of those

Allen & Rosen aren't worth mentioning

Jackson seems pretty good for a small sample size. could be a fumble machine

Mayfield has BDE I've not seen in a QB since Favre. Fearless with the ball and capable of fitting it through a pinhole, which could take him quite far. If the Browns hire Bruce Arians, he'll be an MVP candidate in short order.

Darnold sucks.

Allen sucks.

Rosen I haven't watched yet.

Jackson is too much of a WIP to judge for at least another couple of seasons.

41 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

Mayfield seems alright for a rookie, but far below Heisman/1st pick expectations; beating a horrible Case Keenum should be by 2-3 scores not 1 point :/

Far below 1st pick expectations? Dude....place your hand under your man boob and scoop it upwards. Beandip yourself for this comment. It's clear you've watched him play 1x and it was far and away his worst game.

Considering every QB not named Marino, Roethlisberger & Watson sucked in their 1st year, seems like it's all going as planned for each guy.   BUF, ARI & NYJ need to seriously upgrade their supporting cast (ARI most of all, get a real OL and 1 more weapon to complement Kirk & DJ, assuming Fitz retires).  

BAL & CLE have the best supporting casts (BAL run game and elite D, CLE the best OL & weapons and a D that's rising).  So no surprise the QB's there have the brightest shine.  But TBH none of the other 3 have really shown warning signs - the one caveat is that Allen's tools are masking that his growth as a passer still lags way behind everyone else (but he had the longest way to go, even longer than Lamar IMO - just those tools are generational).

Just now, sryan66611 said:

Why everyone think Allen sucks....  I feel they could mold him into another cam newton

I've said that before. I think Cam is definitely best case scenario, and I don't love it just because physically, Cam's a mutant. I think he profiles something closer to Kaep, but something between those two can be a pretty effective quarterback

People think Allen sucks because he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Darnold and Rosen suck too.

Baker is the QB That Was Promised.

L-Jack is the next Vick; dynamic athlete but can't throw and isn't football smart. He won't last long.

Jackson a novelty for the Ravens, a new toy.  He'll get hurt, enter....?

Rosen, will never rise upon an average NFL QB.

Allen a tease.

Mayfield will be the best QB in the division in time.  He will be a success.

Darnold, will be the best of the bunch but will need a better team around him so he can prove that.

Honestly I don't think too much of any of the 1st round rookies so far. Lamar leaves a lot to be desired in his throwing abilities but damn is he exciting to watch, and when given time will go through progressions and deliver accurate throws.

All QB's have major flaws, whether it's accuracy or injuries or poise or whatever. I don't think any of them look like future top-10 QB's right now and I think in 5 years only Mayfield and Jackson will be in the league.

Archived