What do you think of the five first round rookie QBs so far?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Far below 1st pick expectations? Dude....place your hand under your man boob and scoop it upwards. Beandip yourself for this comment. It's clear you've watched him play 1x and it was far and away his worst game.

wow you're offensive. if this place had a 'report' button it'd see plenty of use

threads like these contain general impressions, and do not necessarily reflect all the college tape, pre-season games, practice reps, or 60 minutes of home and away games

I'm sorry I don't have the Hard Knocks out-takes knowledge that you have; but by all means blast people in your team's forums who should know better and leave me out of it.

They've been pretty good. I don't even care about numbers, rookie QB numbers generally suck, it's a hard transition to make and teams in position to take top QBs generally aren't going to have a great support system on the field for that QB in year 1. Seen it time and time again, Wentz, Goff, Peyton, McNabb, Stafford, Mitch, etc., guys put up poor rookie numbers but rebound pretty damn quickly once they get better help and have 1 year under their belt.

I think all 5 franchises, Browns the most, Ravens the least, still have reason to believe they've found their QBOTF.

2 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

Mayfield seems alright for a rookie, but far below Heisman/1st pick expectations; beating a horrible Case Keenum should be by 2-3 scores not 1 point :/

If Mayfield played like he usually does it is probably a 2-3 score win. He was off tonight for whatever reason. That said, at least he beat Keenum. Roethlisberger failed, Rivers failed, Russell Wilson failed. In fact, only two teams (quarterbacks, if you will) have beat the Broncos by more than one score and they were Darnold and Flacco. Mahomes won by 7 and 4. Goff won by 3. Watson won by 2. So if beating the Broncos by multiple scores makes you a good QB then Flacco and Darnold are the elite, certainly better than Mahomes, Roethlisberger, Goff, Watson, Wilson, Mayfield, Mullens.

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If Mayfield played like he usually does it is probably a 2-3 score win. He was off tonight for whatever reason. That said, at least he beat Keenum. Roethlisberger failed, Rivers failed, Russell Wilson failed. In fact, only two teams (quarterbacks, if you will) have beat the Broncos by more than one score and they were Darnold and Flacco. Mahomes won by 7 and 4. Goff won by 3. Watson won by 2. So if beating the Broncos by multiple scores makes you a good QB then Flacco and Darnold are the elite, certainly better than Mahomes, Roethlisberger, Goff, Watson, Wilson, Mayfield, Mullens.

So, it seems every Broncos game is random then.

4 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

So, it seems every Broncos game is random then.

Well, Wilson's loss, Mahomes (4 point win), Goff's 3 point win, Watson's 2 point win, Roethlisberger's loss and Mayfield's 1 point win were in Denver. The two score losses of the Broncos were on the road. I think it says they usually play better at mile high.

57 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Honestly I don't think too much of any of the 1st round rookies so far. Lamar leaves a lot to be desired in his throwing abilities but damn is he exciting to watch, and when given time will go through progressions and deliver accurate throws.

All QB's have major flaws, whether it's accuracy or injuries or poise or whatever. I don't think any of them look like future top-10 QB's right now and I think in 5 years only Mayfield and Jackson will be in the league.

What is Baker's major flaw? Can’t be accuracy, poise, or injuries, so it must fall somewhere under the “whatever” category.......

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well, Wilson's loss, Mahomes (4 point win), Goff's 3 point win, Watson's 2 point win, Roethlisberger's loss and Mayfield's 1 point win were in Denver. The two score losses of the Broncos were on the road. I think it says they usually play better at mile high.

Yeah, I'm going to come to Mayfield's defense just a little. He's my qb in fantasy and I benched him because road games in Denver can be weird. Obviously they play better there, and when you have a home field that has some sort of idiosyncracy (altitude in this instance) I tend to slant slightly more conservative. I really didn't think he was going to have a great game

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm going to come to Mayfield's defense just a little. He's my qb in fantasy and I benched him because road games in Denver can be weird. Obviously they play better there, and when you have a home field that has some sort of idiosyncracy (altitude in this instance) I tend to slant slightly more conservative. I really didn't think he was going to have a great game

Yeah I left him on my bench too. I'm not really going to make excuses for him for sailing some passes (I'm not certain the interception was to Landry, he might have thought Higgins was going to the inside because that was just way off otherwise) and he made some bad decisions not to take what was there a few times. That is probably where he needs coached most, take the 1st and keep marching down the field, he goes for the big play a bit too much. I really thought he'd be the opposite, taking what was there and needing coached to take more chances. Maybe the Hue effect hasn't completely left his system.

28 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I left him on my bench too. I'm not really going to make excuses for him for sailing some passes (I'm not certain the interception was to Landry, he might have thought Higgins was going to the inside because that was just way off otherwise) and he made some bad decisions not to take what was there a few times. That is probably where he needs coached most, take the 1st and keep marching down the field, he goes for the big play a bit too much. I really thought he'd be the opposite, taking what was there and needing coached to take more chances. Maybe the Hue effect hasn't completely left his system.

Same. Benched my boy Bake 

Lamar is actually like Vick. He will struggle to throw the ball but will rush for like 70 ypg. Don't think he will be a liability but he won't be a Pro Bowler either.

Mayfield looks good and I think he is certainly on his way to be a future top 10 QB, maybe even top 5.

9 hours ago, Ryan_W said:

wow you're offensive. if this place had a 'report' button it'd see plenty of use

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. You're right...that was a hardcore response on my part and if any children saw my truly horrific reply, I solemnly apologize.

I'll turn myself over to the police immediately.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

8 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

It's absolutely fair to say DEN's D plays better at home.   And that pass rush with Jeff Holland as the 3rd EDGE was more effective than Shane Ray's been.  And DE's Gotsis and Wolfe did get inside pressure as well.  So there's some context for sure.

But I will say Baker just wasn't good yesterday.  He made 3-4 horrific reads (the Landry INT was the worst, but a couple of other times he had open guys 7-8 yards and easy 1sts, and he tried for the 20+ yard flag route and missed badly) and about 3-4 other throws where he wasn't close when there wasn't a lot of pressure.  So yeah, he was very meh yesterday.   We should recognize that some of Baker's success has come because the D's he's faced have been really, really bad.   Add in good OL play, great OC calling by Kitchens, and a talented cast, it certainly has helped Baker's skills play up, perhaps more than on his own.

But on the flip side - guys are going to have bad days.  It happens.   Baker was just bad against HOU and DEN.  But just like you don't project a guy's best game as his season long expectation x 16, you don't take his worst game and draw firm conclusions, either.   And it's especially more likely to see struggles when a young QB goes into a tough road environment.  @HOU, @DEN - it's not really an indictment on the player's future.   I mean, sure, it means Baker's not elite right now - but he never should have been crowned this early and vs. that schedule regardless.    The thing is, all those things that kind of make Baker's #'s play up more than his skills - other than the opposition, well they're here to stay.   The OL, weapons, hopefully OC Kitchens - so it's not like they are going away.   It does mean maybe by himself, on his own, Mayfield's not quite at the same level as some would predict based on the #'s since Kitchens took over as OC - but it does still likely predict success for him.  It just may not be all due to his abilities, but the cast/environment around him.  Even so, it still counts in the boxscores the same no matter what.

I think in time, Rosen will end up being the favored one even though he doesn't look it right now. Mayfield is good and looks like he'll have a fine career. Can't really tell the others, apart from Allen being a bit fun to watch. Jackson I see as a shiny new thing that will be found out eventually/soon. 

Archived