What do you think of the five first round rookie QBs so far?

patriotsheatyan

I'm surprised Rosen isn't getting more love here.  To be fair, I've seen at best, one game from each of them, so that's hardly much of a sample size to compare them.  I recently watched the Arizona/Green Bay game and thought Rosen looked promising.  He has a long way to go before the game slows down for him, but he did throw a lot of nice passes and, for the amount of experience he has, he looked fairly composed back there. 

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to see a Browns game this season, but it sounds like he has been playing very well based on the comments.

The Bills with and without Josh Allen is a huge difference, we have 1 win without him and since he's come back from his injury, we're 2 plays away from being on a 4 game win streak. 

Some interesting stats to look at regarding Josh Allen's completion %:

• 23.4 air yards per target (2nd best in the NFL)
  • Bills WR's 2.31 yds of separation at time of catch (2nd worst in NFL)
  • Bills WR's 2.63 yds of separation at time of throw (Worst in the NFL)
  • Throws the least of all starting QBs to RBs + TEs

Meaning he's throwing to WR's who aren't getting open often and still pushing the ball down field like few QBs in the league. He's also not doing a bunch of check downs to inflate his completion % like a ton of QBs in this league do. 

I'm fairly confident he'll be our QB for a while and can't wait to see how our front office handles the offensive weapons this offseason. cause we have none. 

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm surprised Rosen isn't getting more love here.  To be fair, I've seen at best, one game from each of them, so that's hardly much of a sample size to compare them.  I recently watched the Arizona/Green Bay game and thought Rosen looked promising.  He has a long way to go before the game slows down for him, but he did throw a lot of nice passes and, for the amount of experience he has, he looked fairly composed back there. 

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the chance to see a Browns game this season, but it sounds like he has been playing very well based on the comments.

Rosen statistically has been pretty bad, not really helped at all by the Cards being kind of a dumpster fire offensively this season.

It's hard to really get a handle on the rookie QBs yet.  Each have shown some good traits I think though.  In most years with rookie QB classes that look good early though, there's like, usually a rookie QB or two that end up starting on teams that are like, were either already decent, or had some pieces on offense and were picking high mostly due to defense or poor QB play the prior year.

None of the rookie QBs this year are in particularly good situations, except maaaybe Jackson since the defense is well suited towards the heavy TOP the run heavy offense with him is able to get.  Also helps that his 5 starts have been against literally the worst 5 defenses in the league in PPG.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Darnold's looked atrocious the 2nd half of this season besides the game against Houston.

Sam Darnold left week 9. Since coming back hes 40/62   64.52%   423YDS   3TD   1INT going against the Bills and Houston. Are you sure "atrocious" is the description you want to run with?

37 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Sam Darnold left week 9. Since coming back hes 40/62   64.52%   423YDS   3TD   1INT going against the Bills and Houston. Are you sure "atrocious" is the description you want to run with?

His passer rating in his last 5 games has been 61.5.

In this day and age, yeah that's attrocious.

56 minutes ago, Danger said:

Or we could go with the fact that he has 8 interceptions to just 5 Touchdowns. Or that he's only completing 53% of his passes.

So you're box score scouting. Did you watch the game versus the Texans? I thought he played really well.

Those aren't good numbers by any stretch, and I won't sit here and argue that. But I will cut him some slack considering his circumstances. He's a rookie QB on a bad team with mediocre coaching, what exactly are you expecting from? Of course he's going to struggle.Nearly every rookie QB does, especially on a team deprived of talent. "Atrocious" is too critical. I think it's unfair criticism. Watch him play. There is a lot to like if you're a Jets fan, regardless what the box score reads.

His stats look bad, because they are. But he's displaying the traits that made him a top 3 pick and he's developing along like most rookie QBs do. That's all you can ask for in your first year of starting. He's been composed in the pocket, accurate with his ball placement, and smart with his decision making. And he's made a lot of mistakes along the way too; mistakes that he will learn from.

It's all relative. Is he atrocious compared to Mahomes, Rodgers, and Brees? Sure. Is he atrocious for a rookie QB? Not in the slightest. And if you're comparing him to the entire league already, I think your logic is flawed.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

His passer rating in his last 5 games has been 61.5.

In this day and age, yeah that's attrocious.

You said second half of this season. So why did you just lump in 2 games outside of the parameters you set to begin with? Add in game 9 to his 3 game sample and you get one bad game, on mediocre game, and one good game. Still not seeing "atrocious".

12 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

3 hours ago, Bobikus said:

Rosen statistically has been pretty bad, not really helped at all by the Cards being kind of a dumpster fire offensively this season.

It's hard to really get a handle on the rookie QBs yet.  Each have shown some good traits I think though.  In most years with rookie QB classes that look good early though, there's like, usually a rookie QB or two that end up starting on teams that are like, were either already decent, or had some pieces on offense and were picking high mostly due to defense or poor QB play the prior year.

None of the rookie QBs this year are in particularly good situations, except maaaybe Jackson since the defense is well suited towards the heavy TOP the run heavy offense with him is able to get.  Also helps that his 5 starts have been against literally the worst 5 defenses in the league in PPG.

Ppl get too tied up into output, and don't pay enough attention to schedule, situation and supporting cast.   To say that Rosen has been thrown in without support is a gross understatement.   DJ is there, and that's about it.   That's the worst OL in the entire league, and only 1 guy is likely to be there as a 2019 starter.  The rest might not even make it as backups.   And with Christian Kirk gone, there's literally no one but Fitz in the WR/TE corps helping.   I worry he could suffer from David Carr syndrome and break down from prolonged pressure and no support, but so far he's held up, his mechanics and habits aren't getting worse, they're holding firm.   Just have to have him survive 2 more games intact, and then for god's sake, get him 3 new OL starters minimum, and a 2nd WR with Kirk.    Rosen was also put into a Mickey Mouse O scheme with Mike McCoy at the helm - and while McCoy is gone, they can't undo the entire scheme.  So sadly he has to start from square one next year - but anything than a McCoy scheme will be a big plus (trust DEN fans on that count lol).

It's not quite as bad, but Darnold suffers from the same issues.  The one big difference is the schedule has been much softer.   But I like the development I've seen.  Unlike Rosen, he had more development needed in his read/progression skills, and his ball position (kept ball too low, why the fumbling happened his final college year).   He needs a T and a real WR weapon (Robbie Anderson's been OK, but he's also not helped Darnold out as a real alpha-WR1 type would, that 4th down drop was bruuuutal).   The only issue with 2019 is that like Rosen, he's likely to have a new HC & OC, so has to start from square one as well - and unlike ARI, I can't say NYJ's scheme is a total unmitigated disaster like anything that comes from the mind of Mike McCoy.

Baker's had the best OL, the best weapons, and an OC that actually gets in Kitchens for the past 6 games.   He's also shown warts in the @HOU & @DEN game, but the pluses he shows and the positive environment he finds himself in, they predict short-term success, and certainly a safe no-bust floor.

With Lamar & Allen, the big Q is going to be how well their passing skills develop.   Their running prowess and athletic skills are winning the day so far (and BAL's running game and elite D allow him to succeed as well).   Just too soon to tell

5 hours ago, Danger said:

The only one who hasn't looked really bad this season has been Baker Mayfield.

That said, we should realize by now that Rookie QB numbers aren't a good indicator of their performances moving forward.

This above all else x 10000000.

Archived