Greg's 4th and 1

Kiwibrown

4th-1 from the 10 with 1 point lead without much time to go.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. ??

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just so everyone’s aware, Joseph is 14-16 this season on FG’s and hasn’t missed inside 40.

I get it’s easy to crap on him, but he hasn’t been awful.

He's gotten better. But he's also missed XPs so I'm not totally confident in letting him kick the FG. I wouldn't have blamed Gregg for going for the FG, but I didn't dislike the idea of just going for the first down to end the game. Robinson just did a terrible job of executing on that play.

8 minutes ago, DawgX said:

He's gotten better. But he's also missed XPs so I'm not totally confident in letting him kick the FG. I wouldn't have blamed Gregg for going for the FG, but I didn't dislike the idea of just going for the first down to end the game. Robinson just did a terrible job of executing on that play.

I didn’t like the play call either.

I don’t like the idea of compressing the LoS and bunching everyone together combined with a deep handoff.

If it’s me I’m spreading them out, forcing them guard the whole field and creating some space. If they don’t respect the pass, toast em.

I wanted to kick the field goal, but I like the aggressive mindset. We are conditioned by so many years of losing that if we didn't convert, the other team would turn around, score, and another W would slip through our fingers. That's not this team, not since Hue got ousted. It's difficult to try to watch them with that new mindset, but the past couple games, I've had a confidence in them that the me of last year would have found insane.

I didn't like the play call. I was fine with the decision, but not the call. I'd have spread them out and let Baker throw. I'm pretty sure I was the starting nickelback for the Broncos after their rash of injuries and ejections. Find the mismatch and whip route your way to victory. The Broncos were selling out hardcore to stop the run because honestly, us scoring a passing TD wasn't even that bad for them, as they'd only be down 8.

I would have kicked the FG, but it's not the end of the world that we went for it there. I just wish we picked a smarter play call than to run a longer developing isolation play out of a condensed set. Everyone in the world knew the Broncos were going to crash hard and send the house.

I still have confidence in Gregg Williams as the man and in Kitchens as his second in command. I think we miraculously stumbled into some great coaches and I'd like to keep them.

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't trust the defense much so I was okay with going for it. I would have tried using their aggressiveness against them though and ran a naked bootleg. Hopefully allowing Baker to pick it up with his feet but if not find Chubb or Njoku to dump it off to.

Naked boots are slow developing though.  Not something I’d call in that situation with Chubb and Miller on the opposing defense.

spread formation, rpo all day every day imo.

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Naked boots are slow developing though.  Not something I’d call in that situation with Chubb and Miller on the opposing defense.

spread formation, rpo all day every day imo.

Well if you assume everyone crashes to stop Chubb, and they did, Baker could skip or crawl for the first.

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if you assume everyone crashes to stop Chubb, and they did, Baker could skip or crawl for the first.

For sure, but all it takes is that end not to bite.

I love bootlegs, but I’m not a huge fan of running them when you can’t throw the ball away if the defense doesn’t bite.

I HATED the call.

I'm not against being aggressive, but if you kick the field goal, you go up by 4 and make the offense drive the length of the field with very little time and no timeouts and and NEED a touchdown to win, which by the way, they were only able to get into the end zone once.

Also you take away the run game and REALLY focus in on the pass which Keenum is, lets say, not so good under pressure.

By going for it and missing it, you allow a field goal to win the game, in a stadium where field goals are easy to kick from a long distance.

It worked out so I am not going to complain about it as much, but the call made NO sense from a numbers perspective.  It was purely emotional and IMO the wrong call.  Act like your going for it, try and get them off sides.  Then call the timeout right before the clock expires and kick the field goal.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:12 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah this is a “more balls than brains” move.  Can’t have those imo. 

I love the wanting to be aggressive, but he kinda ruined it when he called the timeout.  He made a ballsy call to try to get them to jump, but then he panicked.  At that point, he was almost trying too hard to show that he was ballsy and aggressive.

Overall, he just didn't handle it very well.  I think it makes it more difficult to hand him the keys to the kingdom.

Archived