GDT: Raiders @ Bengals

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

8 hours ago, Nodisrespect said:

Meanwhile Derwin James is the best saftey in man coverage we've seen in years and does really well vs tight ends and receivers.

Sucks man. He's incredible and will dominate for years. And Raiders will struggle with Kolton Miller until deciding he's not worth a second contract. I don't see him being anything more that just a guy. Can't do the little things well. Still making ridiculous false steps like in college. He's showing he can't be taught correct technique. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Sucks man. He's incredible and will dominate for years. And Raiders will struggle with Kolton Miller until deciding he's not worth a second contract. I don't see him being anything more that just a guy. Can't do the little things well. Still making ridiculous false steps like in college. He's showing he can't be taught correct technique. 

Maybe the teaching is the problem?

I've seen enough with KM to see he has potential and could be good but that will only blossom under the right tutelage, I'm not certain we've got the ability to pull that out of him and that's my worry.

Do love James though - he was my favourite player in the draft so to miss out on him was tough.

14 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Maybe the teaching is the problem?

I've seen enough with KM to see he has potential and could be good but that will only blossom under the right tutelage, I'm not certain we've got the ability to pull that out of him and that's my worry.

Do love James though - he was my favourite player in the draft so to miss out on him was tough.

I think it's deeper than just a teaching problem. They didn't correct his false steps at UCLA and he's now 14 weeks into his career and it's still a problem for him. This is a basic level fundamental too which is concerning. Cable sucks, but I'd think he could correct a flaw in a guys footwork. Not to mention, he has some good Olinemen around him you'd think would work with him.

His "potential" is all drawn from his athletic testing at the combine. He doesn't look like that athlete on the field. Didn't in college either. Same problem Greg Robinson had coming out and Robinson could never fix his technique despite his athleticism. 

He has to fix it if he ever wants to be a good LT. He got caught twice false stepping with poor technique giving the edge up to Hubbard yesterday.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think it's deeper than just a teaching problem. They didn't correct his false steps at UCLA and he's now 14 weeks into his career and it's still a problem for him. This is a basic level fundamental too which is concerning. Cable sucks, but I'd think he could correct a flaw in a guys footwork. Not to mention, he has some good Olinemen around him you'd think would work with him.

His "potential" is all drawn from his athletic testing at the combine. He doesn't look like that athlete on the field. Didn't in college either. Same problem Greg Robinson had coming out and Robinson could never fix his technique despite his athleticism. 

He has to fix it if he ever wants to be a good LT. He got caught twice false stepping with poor technique giving the edge up to Hubbard yesterday.

He should be on the right side.  You can have a below average LT or Lane Johnson (or at least above average).   James was the better choice in the draft but Miller was not even close to the worst decisions our team made during the draft.  This team has a lot of work to do in the FO and coaching staff before I want to even think about fixing the players.

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You may well be right BP but I'm prepared to give him another season before writing him off, he seems a smart young man and plenty of very good tackles have struggled early - though as you say the basics are a worry. I have to admit I find it really hard to judge OLmen and very hard to distinguish who'll work out in the Pros. He's had a baptism of fire this year and I'll be anxious to see if both Miller and Parker can be genuine options moving forward.  

Archived