GDT: Lions @ Bills - Pre season game?

Trentwannabe

Well that was fun.  No idea why i watched this game exactly, but it turned out pretty entertaining.  Gives me hope for watching Jaguars games next year maybe.  Hopefully we'll have a developing young QB to at least watch and get excited about like Allen today.  Maybe.  That seems like fun at least.

Liked what i saw from Allen overall today.  Still haven't really seen anything to make me doubt those tantalizing flashes he showed as a college player.  If he can continue to grow and refine, i think you've got someone who could be really dangerous with some actual weapons.

42 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Well that was fun.  No idea why i watched this game exactly, but it turned out pretty entertaining.  Gives me hope for watching Jaguars games next year maybe.  Hopefully we'll have a developing young QB to at least watch and get excited about like Allen today.  Maybe.  That seems like fun at least.

Liked what i saw from Allen overall today.  Still haven't really seen anything to make me doubt those tantalizing flashes he showed as a college player.  If he can continue to grow and refine, i think you've got someone who could be really dangerous with some actual weapons.

Absolutely. We're second in the league in drops and top five in QB pressures this season. Not to mention that we have no running game outside of Allen

Feels pretty damn good not having to worry about a QB for the next decade. With better protection and weapons and more maturity, Allen is gonna win games.

He's never gonna consistently throw over 65% of his passes but every other tool and intangible will compensate imo

I really liked what I saw from Allen today. I missed the sack, so I don't know if that was on him or the OL. His passes were largely accurate, certainly giving our receivers a chance to make plays and I think decision-wise, this was his best game of the season. Speaking of receivers, I think we actually have a good young group to work with. I'd like to see us bring in 1 more who has very sure hands and still has some speed. The old-fashioned slowish receivers are a thing of the past. Pass rushers are too fast now days, so all of our receivers need to get their butts off the LOS quickly and get into some space for a passing game to be effective. I still would like us to go after a workhorse RB, but no longer feel we need to find 2 quality ones. I think there is sufficient youngsters on the team to help us out with depth. The OL is the obvious weakness on that side of the ball. At a minimum, we need 3 starters, but I could see an argument for 4. I think the 1st priority has to be to upgrade our C. I know most people think LT first, but I think if Josh could step into his throws, he would be less likely to run and would likely stay healthier as there would be fewer legal shots the D could take at him. That doesn't mean I never want to see him run again, as this is an obvious weapon, but I'd rather see him moving the ball in 11-20 yards chunks instead of 8-ish yards on the ground. That leaves the D, which needs 1 starting CB and another quality player for depth, an OLB to replace Zo, and another DE, as I have no faith in Murphy and Lawson is just now showing signs of stepping up...we'll see if he gets there. If he does, we'd need his replacement for depth anyway. I think it's looking like we got a shot to be truly competitive next year, at least, if we can find enough starters for the OL!

Man I can't wait to get this kid some weapons and protection. Unfortunately that is a tall task in one off-season. Would love to get him some OL help in the draft in round 1 and some veterans like Saffold and Paradis this off-season and maybe add a guy like Golden Tate because we need some resemblance of an NFL WR outside of Foster. 

Jones has been so inconsistant I don't think it is safe to see him as more than anything than a fringe number 2

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

LT: Draft pick or Dawkins
LG: Teller
C: Paradis
RG: Saffold
RT: Draft pick or Dawkins

WR1: Tate
WR2: Jones
WR3: Foster
WR4: Mackenzie 

LT: Jonah Williams or Greg Little

LG: Teller

C: Paradis

RG: Saffold

RT: Dawkins

Major upgrades there than I'd like Tyrell Williams or Donte Moncrief in FA and another WR in draft 

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I will say the team chemistry and locker room as a whole is in REALLY REALLY good shape.

That's the main reason I was against tanking when it was being kicked about. If we have a coach and a process we believe in we need to keep the players buying in and fighting for each other and we have. I honestly think Josh is a huge part of that too, this team was rudderless and emotionally empty without him. 

I really think we're in line for a Bears like bounceback next season. 

Daboll has been much better the second half of the season as well. 

6 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

That's the main reason I was against tanking when it was being kicked about. If we have a coach and a process we believe in we need to keep the players buying in and fighting for each other and we have. I honestly think Josh is a huge part of that too, this team was rudderless and emotionally empty without him. 

I really think we're in line for a Bears like bounceback next season. 

Daboll has been much better the second half of the season as well. 

Eh we don’t have Kahlil Mack and Matt Naggy lol. I can’t really see that comparison. 

7 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Eh we don’t have Kahlil Mack and Matt Naggy lol. I can’t really see that comparison. 

It's obviously not identical but we've got a strong defense and a young QB who we are going to add a bunch of weapons in FA. I'm not saying we're going to be winning a division and winning 11 games but I think we'll definitely be in the playoff hunt. Hell we could be this season if Allen hadn't gotten hurt. 

Don't get me wrong, we've got a lot of problems to sort out and we'll need to gel with all the new pieces but I think we're sitting pretty good going into the offseason. 

11 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Foster now has more yards, catches, and TD's in half an NFL season than he did in his entire collegiate career.

Whatever scout found this kid deserves one hell of a Christmas bonus.

Bama fans have been rooting for him.  Foster battled injuries a bit but whenever he got the ball, he was lightning.  It was frustrating not seeing him get more targets. Jalen Hurts taking off running if Ridley was covered certainly didn't help those numbers. Glad to see him making the most of his opportunity.

After the Jets game:

After yesterday, Josh Allen's avg depth of target went down slightly to 11.02 (still highest in the league) but he continues to climb in the more important "avg length of completions" at 6.46. He was near the bottom of NFL in that stat, then 16th, then 11th, and now 7th in league. What that stat means is if you take just completions by all NFL QBs, Allen has the 7th highest average length of those those throws. So, essentially, he's still throwing deeper than anyone on average but now completing a lot more of them, as well. Good signs.

After Yesterday:

Update to this stat, since I've been tracking it and give it to you every week now: Allen back up to 11.52 in average length of pass (leads league by a wide margin) but has now moved up to 5th in "avg. pass length of completions" at 6.95, behind Fitz, Winston, R. Wilson, and Goff

Per Sal Capaccio.

Josh Allen's box scores don't jump off the page but week to week you can tell he's showing signs of progression and that's all you can want. I honestly feel comfortable and confident that Josh Allen is our future and he's only going to get better the more snaps he plays + more talent surrounds him. I believe this type of football is Allen's floor.

Some telling stats about his completion %:

Allen averaged 23.4 air yards per target (2nd best in the NFL) 

Bills WRs avg 2.31 yards of seperation at time of catch (2nd worst in the NFL)

Bills WRs avg 2.63 yards of seperation at time of throw (worst in the NFL). 

Which means Allen is pushing the ball down to his no name WR's who are not getting open. Get some talent on the team and start checking it down to the RB and TE and we'll be set. 

Archived