BDL 2018 Quarterfinals: #8 Long Beach Leprechauns @ #1 Orlando Ospreys

Whicker

Long Beach Leprechauns @ Orlando Ospreys  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Long Beach Leprechauns
    • Orlando Ospreys

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2018 at 05:00 PM

BDL 2018 Quarterfinals

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Long Beach Leprechauns

Offense

QB- Aaron Rodgers

RB- Christian McCaffrey

WR- DeAndre Hopkins

WR- George Kittle

WR- Adam Humphries

TE- Dalton Schultz

LT- Charles Leno Jr.

LG- Quinton Spain

C- Max Unger

RG- Joe Thuney

RT- Brandon Shell

FB- Andy Janovich

RB- Mark Ingram

RB- LeGarette Blount

WR- Devin Funchess

WR- Keelan Cole

OL- Ty Nsekhe (Q)

OL- Jamon Brown

OL- JC Tretter (Q)

Defense

LE- Cam Jordan

NT- Javon Hargrave

DT- Jarran Reed (Q)

RE- Trey Flowers

LB- Joe Schobert

LB- Avery Williamson

LB- Jayon Brown

CB- Trumaine Johnson

CB- Bashaud Breeland (Q)

FS- Tyrann Mathieu

SS- Budda Baker (Q)

DT- Vita Vea

DE- Sam Hubbard

DT- DJ Reader

S- TJ McDonald (Q)

S- Jordan Whitehead

CB- Bradley Roby

CB- Nick Nelson

CB- Artie Burns

Orlando Lineup

Offense

• Philip Rivers, QB         
  • Alvin Kamara, RB
  • Mike Evans, WR            
  • Allen Robinson, WR            
  • Sterling Shepard, Slot WR            
  • Rob Gronkowski, TE            
  • Taylor Lewan, LT            
  • Frank Ragnow, LG            
  • Mike Pouncey, C            
  • Ali Marpet, RG            
  • Lane Johnson, RT
  •  
  •            
  • Chris Carson, RB
  • Tevin Coleman, RB            
  • Dante Pettis, WR            
  • Josh Reynolds, WR            
  • Willie Snead, WR         
  • Mike Gesicki, TE            
  • Trent Brown, Tackle            
  • Nick Martin, Guard/Center            

Defense

• T.J. Watt, LOLB
  • Allen Bailey, LDE
  • Kenny Clark, NT *INACTIVE*
  • Ndamukong Suh, RDE 
  • Joey Bosa, ROLB            
  • Bobby Wagner, MLB            
  • Demario Davis, WLB            
  • Jaire Alexander, CB
  • Jalen Ramsey, CB            
  • Eddie Jackson, SAF 
  • Tashaun Gipson, SAF            
  •           
  •  
  •           
  • Clay Matthews, OLB 
  • Emmanuel Ogbah, OLB            
  • Henry Anderson, DE            
  • Tyrone Crawford, DE            
  • Fred Warner, ILB            
  • James Bradberry, CB            
  • Joe Haden, CB            
  • Xavier Woods, SAF

Long Beach

Motivation:

First of all I am happy to be here. As my team is limping into the playoffs I am ecstatic to have it this far. But let’s be honest Orlando is like the Titanic. I however am not an iceberg but really just an ice cube. We will come out swinging despite our injuries and lack of talent.

Gameplan Offense:

This week our base offense will feature a three wide look mixed with some two RB set as our base formation. George Kittle will be the second receiver, utilizing his size and athleticism on a smaller corner. Adam Humphries is the slot receiver and with Funchess falling off the face of the earth (was he even really ever here) this gives us our best three receivers out in space. However on some plays Humphries will play out wide while Kittle lines up in the slot. Motions will be key for our offense involving both McCaffrey and Ingram. We will motion McCaffrey out wide or in the slot often in two back sets but we will also motion Ingram out where McCaffrey is the sole back. We utilize motion to take advantage of personnel packages and speed up tempo of the game with hurry up if we choose. Dalton Schultz will be the inline TE mostly providing chips and help for Brandon Shell. McCaffrey will split 70/30 run plays with Ingram. We will run primarily zone mixed with a few power runs. In our two back formations McCaffrey will often be motioned around the field to draw preferable matchups and read defensive coverages presnap. Hopkins will likely draw Jalen Ramsey, and we believe he can win his fair share of those matchups. We will utilize McCaffrey a lot in the passing game this week as our weapons are limited. At receiver, Kittle will run a traditional route tree but is mostly looked to for the passing game and attacking the middle of the field on drags, posts, and slants. Humphries and Schultz are more of the short passing game options, with Schultz stand in blocking a majority of the time. McCaffrey will get some wheel opportunities as well as some screens to take advantage of an over aggressive pass rush, and lighten some of the pressure on our oline.

Defense:

Formation: 4-3, Nickel, Dime

If Orlando comes out in their 2 Tight set like they did last week we will come out in a 4-3 Base. The Linebackers are Schobert, Williamson, and Brown. We have a lot of injuries to an already weak secondary and this formation will absolutely benefit us if Orlando decides to play it. In a big twist we will also be playing primarily man against Orlando. We will obviously mix in some zone coverages with some cover 3 and cover 2 but man coverage with a single high safety playing deep zone will be our primary coverage. When we do play zone we will mix in some blitzes from our LBers. We will jam and be physical with Orlando. Our SS will play down in the box also. Trumaine gets Mike Evans, Breeland gets Robinson, Baker gets Gronk with help from Williamson, Brown gets Smith, and Schobert gets Kamara. Kamara will be a tough task but Schobert is an excellent coverage linebacker and we will take our chances with our pass rush getting to Rivers. If they try and roll Rivers like they did last week it works into our favor as we have a pair of very stout ends to control all outside gaps and plays. We trust our dline to handle the run game and our three LBers are all quick to come down hill and plug holes. Schobert calls the plays and keeps the defensive in position to be successful. If they go three wide Roby comes in as the Nickel and Williamson comes off the field and we still focus primarily on our man coverage. Hargrave and Reed get the starts at DT, and if Reed can’t go Vea will take his place. Against heavy run formations or short to go, we will play Reader and Vea in the middle to give us a stout interior. Sam Hubbard is the rotational third end to give Jordan or Flowers a rest if they are wearing down.

GOOOOOO LEPRECHAUNS!!!!

Orlando Game Plan

Team Injuries

Orlando Ospreys

ALL

CB - Kevin King | IR/PUP

CB - Sam Beal | IR/PUP

Edge - Carl Lawson | IR/PUP

Edge - Josh Sweat | IR/PUP

INT - Kenny Clark | Questionable

INT - Tyquan Lewis | IR/PUP

LB - Christian Kirksey | IR/PUP

LB - Deone Bucannon | Questionable

LB - Dylan Cole | IR/PUP

LB - Jeremy Cash | IR/PUP

OG - Austin Corbett | Out

OG - Cameron Erving | Doubtful

RB - Jerick McKinnon | IR/PUP

S - Eddie Jackson | Questionable

S - Keanu Neal | IR/PUP

S - Trayvon Henderson | IR/PUP

S - Troy Apke | IR/PUP

TE - Jonnu Smith | IR/PUP

WR - Allen Robinson | Questionable

WR - Chad Williams | Questionable

WR - Dante Pettis | Questionable

WR - Odell Beckham | Out

Long Beach Leprechauns

ALL

CB - Bashaud Breeland | Questionable

CB - E.J. Gaines | IR/PUP

CB - Patrick Robinson | IR/PUP

CB - Trumaine Johnson | Questionable

DE - Ronald Blair | Limited

INT - Jarran Reed | Questionable

LB - Leon Jacobs | IR/PUP

OC - JC Tretter | Questionable

OG - Andrew Norwell | IR/PUP

OT - Bryan Bulaga | Doubtful

OT - Jerald Hawkins | IR/PUP

OT - Terron Armstead | Limited

OT - Ty Nsekhe | Questionable

RB - Isaiah Crowell | IR/PUP

S - Budda Baker | Questionable

S - Landon Collins | IR/PUP

TE - Tyler Kroft | IR/PUP

WR - Cooper Kupp | IR/PUP

WR - DeAndre Hopkins | Limited

WR - Marvin Jones | IR/PUP

List of injuries were pulled from NFL.com on Dec. 15th at 3:20 EST

The 14 week season has wrapped up and both rosters are showing just how important quality depth is to a team.  We’ve recently been dealt some major blows to our lineups over these last couple weeks, and if the notable players that are listed as “questionable” don’t end up playing it’s going to be even tougher on both of us, however, I’m reading that some are scheduled to start.

We’re excited to have made it to the playoffs and even more excited that we did so as the top seed, in a league packed with competition.  It’s been a long 14 weeks and it just now feels like the season is getting started.  We come into this week knowing that Long Beach isn’t going to be easy but one of the toughest fought games we’ve had to face.  We know that their owner is going to come prepared to win just as we plan on doing.  Good luck Councilor.

Philip Rivers impressed the hell out of me with high tempo clutch performance Thursday night in a come from behind to clinch a playoff game.  This entire season he’s been a rock for the Chargers and I don’t believe this team would be in the playoffs this year if not for him and his career best 112.4 passer rating.  I loved that his coach had complete trust in him and that offense to get the team a win, by going for the two pt. conversion rather than taking it into overtime and that is exactly the trust we’d had in him this entire BDL season and will continue to carry through the post season. 

Orlando Ospreys Game Plan

Primary Formations:  3 wide single back set w/ TE   |  I-form   |   Shotgun

Offensive Line

Long Beach’s best pass rusher is Cam Jordan with 12 sacks, but the rest of their defense is average in BDL terms.  So we’ll make certain to provide additional protection to his side when his knuckles are white by either keeping the Tight End or back in to block or chip and mixing in RB screens and quick outs and bubble screens to his side to limit him from having any real success and potentially frustrating him.

We feel our interior and right side can manage in terms of single protection and can prevent the LB defense from pushing the pocket.  However, if this logic fails to prevent Rivers standing upright and a clear pocket to operate out of, we’ll lean on the rushing game more to keep this defense from pinning us down.  We need Rivers to be successful in this game if we plan to win and will move to max protect by bringing in a second TE if need be, however, we don’t see this being the case. 

Against the rush, this defensive line with the addition of their linebackers is going to make it a little bit tougher to move the chains, but looking at the stats our backs have done well when it comes to getting first downs, nonetheless when we do run on early downs we’ll get our guards pulling to the outside.   Short yardage and goal line we’ll provide another big body to move the pile in Trent Brown.   

Passing Game

Long Beach’s secondary has taken some hits as key players at vital positions have found themselves on IR.  Not to say that they don’t have replacements but it is an area we’d like to exploit providing we can field enough receivers this week to do it.  With Odell ruled out this week and others listed as questionable we plan on Kamara getting some playing time at receiver this week, either as the slot or the inside receiver along with Gronk when fielding four wide sets.  If Allen Robinson and Dante Pettis start irl, they’ll move back to their more traditional roles.

We feel that if we can provide Rivers the pass protection that the matchups in the secondary should give Rivers the time to get the ball in his receiver’s hands.   We’ll have spurts where we are running a hurry-up offense, using a base 3 wide single back set w/ TE to tire their secondary.  Forcing them into zone coverage or trading out starters for players with very little playing time this year, allowing Rivers to move the chains and find the open receivers in zone coverage.

Rushing Game

We’ll be using the combined effort of both Kamara and Carson to fight for yards against a front seven that doesn’t like giving up yards.  If we see LB playing overly aggressive with their edge rushers throughout the game, we’ll run some delays and inside runs, using the inside run game and screens to calm this defense down a bit.  If the blitz from the edge isn’t there, we’ll attempt to get our backs to the edge on stretch hand offs and quick toss plays using the line, TE and receivers to block in the second level against his backers and safeties.

Defensive Game Plan

Scheme: 34 Base Defense / Nickel 425

Our goal this week is to limit the success of whom we feel is Aaron Rogers’s three primary receiving targets (McCaffrey, Hopkins and Kittle).  To achieve this we’ll play man to man on the outside w/ cover 1 over the top to provide additional coverage on Hopkins. 

Front Seven

McCaffrey can eat your lunch on the ground and through the air.  On early down and short yardage situations, we’ll have this unit dialed in on him, our outside backers will be assigned to contain him from getting to the outside leaving it up to our interior lineman and inside linebackers to slow his momentum and the yards he gains.  Our inside linebackers will be assigned zone coverage when not sealing gaps, keeping everything in front of them to prevent him from getting loose in the open.   

If our nose tackle Clark isn’t able to start this week, Suh will man the nose and Anderson will take the end.

Aaron Rogers doesn’t make many mistakes but one knock on him is he’s sacked a lot.  We believe that we aren’t going to need to sell out on elaborate blitz packages to pressure him, we’ve got confidence that we’ll tally coverage sacks.   

Secondary

We feel that our personnel within our secondary give us an advantage against a not so hot group at receiver.  We’ll run our defense out of cover one, giving our best cornerback in Alexander some help over the top in covering Hopkins, regardless where he lines up.  We believe man coverage against their other receivers and safety support against their receiving TE with zone protection from our linebackers will slow this offense down.

Passing Assignments

DeAndre Hopkins = Jaire Alexander

Keelan Cole = James Bradberry

Devin Funchess = Joe Haden

Adam Humphries = Jalen Ramsey

George Kittle = Eddie Jackson (if injured, Tashaun Gipson)

Additional TE’s will get linebacker or third safety coverage.

Might be a shock but I like LB in this one. I think the decision to shift protection towards Cam Jordan isn't a great one as it gives an opportunity to Reed/Hargrave to do some damage against Ragnow/Pouncey with Cam lined up on the left side (I love Reed vs Ragnow in particular). Interior pressure can affect Rivers and while LB secondary is undermanned, I'm not super impressed by Orlando options. Kamara could have a good game but Schobert has been playing great. And LB DL is really good vs the run too. So aside from Mike Evans I don't see a true mismatch there. On the other end I like LB running game and I think this offense will be able to move the ball through short passes to Kittle (who should be in line) and Nuke. I don't understand why Ramsey wasn't lined up against Hopkins. I know he doesn't have the same season he had last year but I still consider him a better corner than Alexander and he shut down Nuke IRL earlier this year. Long Beach 17-16

This is incredibly close as both teams have crazy injury issues.  And both teams have very good game plans.  That said, I just think Orlando is able to execute a little better.  I like Jackson on Kittle outside as Jackson will be able to use the sideline to his advantage.  Ramsey would erase Humphries and Jaire plus safety would be good on Hopkins.  

27 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

This is incredibly close as both teams have crazy injury issues.  And both teams have very good game plans.  That said, I just think Orlando is able to execute a little better.  I like Jackson on Kittle outside as Jackson will be able to use the sideline to his advantage.  Ramsey would erase Humphries and Jaire plus safety would be good on Hopkins.  

Yes...this is exactly what I pictured with my secondary vs his receivers.

I like LB's creativity by trying to mask the lack of talent at receiver by putting Kittle out wide, but just like putting a TE at tackle, he's out of position.  There is a reason why he's a TE and not a WR.  He might have size but when you consider the speed and vertical abilities of a corner.  Some of the heaviest receivers in this league are 20 lbs light of where Kittle weighs in at.

Archived