Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Actually, we do know.  

The vast majority of the casual fan base, especially the older fan base, i.e. the ones that are old enough to afford season tickets, primarily get their Broncos information from two sources - 9news and KOA - and both entity's chief Broncos "reporters", Mike Klis and Dave Logan, are on the organization's payroll given that their entities are the team's broadcast partners. 

Remember the whole "Belchick, Carroll and Reid are in their 60s and they're the best coaches in the game" line that Klis used all over the place just before Vic was announced as the new HC? I heard Logan make a similar argument on the radio and, the press release I received from the Broncos' media relations department contained literally that exact line of argument. From the team's PR perspective, they wanted to counter the prevailing thought that the league is going young, new and innovative and every team should be looking for the next Sean McVay. To pump up the fan base for hiring a 60 year old, never-been-a-HC before, comes from the defensive side of the ball, they trotted out the Belichick, Carroll, Reid line to counter it. It's no coincidence that Klis and Logan trotted out the same line a day or so before the hire was made official. 

So wait, they're trying to peddle that Fangio will be a good head coach because he just happens to be the same age as Belichick, Carroll and Reid?

Ridiculous argument, would be as well hiring my 65 year old uncle Ron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

So wait, they're trying to peddle that Fangio will be a good head coach because he just happens to be the same age as Belichick, Carroll and Reid?

So, has your 65 yo uncle Ron spent most of his life involved with and coaching football?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I should clarify, it was one line of argument they used. As @Broncofan pointed out at the time, the more apt comparison would have been Mike Zimmer but he is not enough of a household name for casual fans to know who he is. 

I'm not saying Vance Vic was a bad hire; I think there are a lot of positive attributes he brings to the table and all in all he seems to have assembled a good supporting staff, we will see what happens.

That said, the point was how the franchise tried to sell it and used their friends in the media to help. 

19 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

One name I'd consider at QB, either this year thru a trade of next years FA is Jacoby Brisset. He's not beating out Andrew Luck, has good measurables and was drafted ny NE, seems they know a thing or two about QB's

I just don't see it he has a year left on a cheap deal. You really don't know what he is he's played decent for being behind a poor oline but still a ton of unknown. 

Plus the colts will not let him go for less than a first or second round pick. That's a very low floor type of trade. 

I mean Jimmy G went for a second and you'd have to think Brissett has that upside and I just don't see it.

Edited by thebestever6

Brissett to me is a product of Bill Parcells who raved about him took him under  his wing. Then goes to new England a storied franchise. 

But step back and look trevor siemian in 2 years has a comparable qbr and numbers. And he went for what peanuts I believe we gave up  trevor and a 7th for a 5th.

No way brissett will have second round value. Let alone first. 

Well, I'm betting we stick with Case this year and wait to draft a QB next year as it's looking to be a much better QB prospect draft than what's available this year. Once Keenam and his salary are gone, we'll need another vet to be the short term, i.e. Brisset.  Elway may be in love with Lock but I'm not, just don't see him as accurate enough to compete with Mahomes wover the next 15 yearsho is our competition 

I'd like to see us trade down for a 2020 1st + and build the team a bit more, two strong drafts then picking up a stud QB would help balance the future competitive challenges in my eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Well, I'm betting we stick with Case this year and wait to draft a QB next year as it's looking to be a much better QB prospect draft than what's available this year. Once Keenam and his salary are gone, we'll need another vet to be the short term, i.e. Brisset.  Elway may be in love with Lock but I'm not, just don't see him as accurate enough to compete with Mahomes wover the next 15 yearsho is our competition 

I'd like to see us trade down for a 2020 1st + and build the team a bit more, two strong drafts then picking up a stud QB would help balance the future competitive challenges in my eyes.

I would also love that and we can still draft a qb in the first 3 rounds to either develop as the backup or a starter if its a homerun pick.

There's some good line prospects so if we could improve the oline and solidify it that will help whatever qb we have.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

The problem is that in order to trade down to get a 2020 first you need a guy someone wants at 1.10 who’s a must have impact guy at an impact position like EDGE / QB from a team far away.     The only exception since the new CBA took effect to this was Sammy Watkins and the move was from 1.08 to 1.03.  And that move is way more expensive than even any move from the 20’s to 1.10.   

Every team that doesn’t have a great fit at their position wants to move back.   The harder part is finding a team that is willing to move up and pay that price.  

Last year the one impact EDGE left made NO pay that price for Davenport.   2 years ago Watson and Mahomes got that return.   But because of the depth of the trenches and the lack of great obvious impact QB who would be left at 1.10 this year, a trade back to get a 2020 1st seems like a pipe dream.   

Edited by Broncofan

Just curious, who are the 2020 QBs people want to wait for? Given recent history, scouts will find a lot more flaws in Tua's game with another season of tape. Herbert seems to be the other guy, but even when he was thought to have been a part of the 2019 class he didn't generate much excitement. A lot of people seem really high on Fromm, I personally don't see it, and Eason is a total unknown. Are these the guys people want to wait for? Am I missing someone? 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Just curious, who are the 2020 QBs people want to wait for? Given recent history, scouts will find a lot more flaws in Tua's game with another season of tape. Herbert seems to be the other guy, but even when he was thought to have been a part of the 2019 class he didn't generate much excitement. A lot of people seem really high on Fromm, I personally don't see it, and Eason is a total unknown. Are these the guys people want to wait for? Am I missing someone? 

This is exactly where I am at.  

Herbert definitely has a chance to be a better prospect than the top guys in this draft, but after that it’s all up in the air.

Tua is the guy everyone points to, but he’s honestly an average talent.  Fromm’s in that same category (though I do love Fromm’s ability to throw WRs open, he seems to process information incredibly quickly).  Eason may end up lighting it up, but he’s still a complete unknown.

Haskins, Lock, Murray, Jones, and Stidham are all more physically talented than Tua and Fromm.  

I really don’t get all the talk of 2020 being such a better year to draft a QB.  It really isn’t, might even be worse.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 1:36 PM, germ-x said:

This is exactly where I am at.  

Herbert definitely has a chance to be a better prospect than the top guys in this draft, but after that it’s all up in the air.

Tua is the guy everyone points to, but he’s honestly an average talent.  Fromm’s in that same category (though I do love Fromm’s ability to throw WRs open, he seems to process information incredibly quickly).  Eason may end up lighting it up, but he’s still a complete unknown.

Haskins, Lock, Murray, Jones, and Stidham are all more physically talented than Tua and Fromm.  

I really don’t get all the talk of 2020 being such a better year to draft a QB.  It really isn’t, might even be worse.

Most people who preach about 2020 don't actually know anything about the QBs, they have just heard the media and Twitter hype and are riding with that.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 10:00 AM, broncos67 said:

Most people who preach about 2020 don't actually know anything about the QBs, they have just heard the media and Twitter hype and are riding with that.

I understand this sentiment but there needs to be some type of balanced approach.  Elway traded talib last year so he could basically pay Keenum, and he had to pay Keenum because Lynch was a bust. 

At some point you have to let the snow ball effect stop. So thats either pick a franchise qb more than likely you'll have to trade up . Or, just keep building a team going BPA, smart trade downs when you can. 

I just hate the narrative, welp Denver isn't gonna be top 10 again so let just make the move because you have too. Let's be real we're only in this position because elway was pressing in we have too moves. (Keenum,lynch)

So I’ve accepted that Lock will likely be a Bronco. Hopefully not in a trade up. In the second I’d like to target Trayvon Mullen or Julian Love and in the third if we can get Kaleb McGary we could be set at two important positions. McGary reminds me of Havenstein who has now been a fixture at RT for the Rams. 

A guy just did a 7 round mock in the mock draft forum. This is what I put together based on who he had available. Some of these players won’t be there. Thoughts?

10- Devin White LB LSU

41- Drew Lock QB Mizzou (His Original pick)

71- Nasir Adderley S Deleware 

110- Max Scharping OL NIU 

125- Chuma Edoga OL USC

149- Isaiah Johnson CB Houston 

157- Daylon Mack NT TAMU (Original)

184- Sutton Smith LB NIU (Original)

224- Easton Stick QB NDSU

239- Greg Dortch WR Wake 

248- Derrick Baity CB Kentucky (Original)