Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, Royal_VT said:

It would be nice if the "major move" was keeping Paradis in town. 

I am worried we overpay a mediocre CB though.

If I were Elway that would be my first priority. That gives us Paradis, Bolles and McGovern as solid starters, with Turner as a quality backup, possible starter. Hopefully Sam Jones and Wilkinson can step up, at least as quality backups. We could really use more talent, the draft being the preferential route. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If I were Elway that would be my first priority. That gives us Paradis, Bolles and McGovern as solid starters, with Turner as a quality backup, possible starter. Hopefully Sam Jones and Wilkinson can step up, at least as quality backups. We could really use more talent, the draft being the preferential route. 

I am staying hopeful because it seems like Elway has preferred to fill needs in FA, allowing flexibility in the draft. From a positional standpoint at least. So maybe we expect Paradis, a CB, two DL, and ILB before the draft. 

20 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Darian was a really good Bronco - saw this coming, but I really enjoyed his time in Denver. One of the better safeties we've had in my time as a fan honestly. 

Firmly believe 2015-2016 Darian was the best we've had since Atwater. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

+ 1 I like Darian better than TJ ward tbh. I think TJ got all the buzz because he laid the wood and set the tone. But Darian was smart and a hell of a safety.  

He did lose a step and this is a smart move but I have nothing but respect for the guy.

TJ was good too. He was like a poor man's Polamalu with the way he could cause problems around the line of scrimmage as an extra body. And he was really the tone setter and a great leader for the defense. He was just small enough to get picked on in man coverage. It was nice when our biggest problem on defense was the occasional play given up by our linebackers or TJ to a tight end. 

But I give Darian the edge because he could make plays on the ball as well as lower the boom. Never had elite range but with our corners it was never needed. 

I miss that defense so much...elite pass rush, elite man corners, enforcer safeties and linebackers who could do it all. Just complete dominance. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

TJ was good too. He was like a poor man's Polamalu with the way he could cause problems around the line of scrimmage as an extra body. And he was really the tone setter and a great leader for the defense. He was just small enough to get picked on in man coverage. It was nice when our biggest problem on defense was the occasional play given up by our linebackers or TJ to a tight end. 

But I give Darian the edge because he could make plays on the ball as well as lower the boom. Never had elite range but with our corners it was never needed. 

I miss that defense so much...elite pass rush, elite man corners, enforcer safeties and linebackers who could do it all. Just complete dominance. 

I agree and having peyton on offense really helped Elway address the d so he can pick and chose what to address. As a gm he knew where he could cut corners because of an elite qb. 

Peytons dont grow on trees though so I say add to a strength unless that qb you covet is within striking distance.  Our strength on offense right now is Philip lindsay and a great oline coach. So add a guy like hockenson will improve run game and pass game, adding lineman will improve run game and passing game.

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here's more from both Klis and Renck regarding free agency. 

First, Klis

Renck also expects some bold moves to be made. 

It's because we have so many holes in our team, and instead of using the draft over multiple years to fix this, (like teams in our situation SHOULD do) we're going to make a BIG splash in FA this year to try and compete now. It's why Elway traded for Flacco, why he's going to keep old veterans like Wolfe and Sanders, and it's why we're going all in on Free Agency.

It will probably blow up in our faces.

18 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

It's because we have so many holes in our team, and instead of using the draft over multiple years to fix this, (like teams in our situation SHOULD do) we're going to make a BIG splash in FA this year to try and compete now. It's why Elway traded for Flacco, why he's going to keep old veterans like Wolfe and Sanders, and it's why we're going all in on Free Agency.

It will probably blow up in our faces.

It could I think bold moves can be smart moves too. I just hope Elway doesn't spend stupid money.  

He had to learn from last free agency and the free agency before. The Leary signing was terrible, every free agent signed last year was terrible.  

4 hours ago, champ11 said:

Darian was a really good Bronco - saw this coming, but I really enjoyed his time in Denver. One of the better safeties we've had in my time as a fan honestly. 

I'm getting a chuckle out of this, guess it's an age thing. 

For me he's not in the top 5. Denver has had some amazing safeties starting with Goose Gonsulin, then Billy Thompson, Dennis Smith and finally Atwater. Steve Foley was quite a ballhawk back there too. East Coast bias was really strong back then and Denver players seldom got recognition. Toss in Lynch and Dawkins and it's a pretty impressive list.

For what it's worth, IMO Dennis Smith is the best Denver safety ever. Unfortunatey the two safeties drafted before him were Ronnie Lott and Kenny Easley, two of the best to ever play the position. Thats where all the awards went.

• Like 3

Stewart was a hell of a player here for a few years, his play had dropped off recently.  Paves the way for Amos to be a Bronco which makes a ton of sense.  He thrived under Fangio in Chicago, knows the system, and has actually been graded by PFF as a top 5 safety for 2 years running I believe.  In a deep safety class he should be able to be had on a reasonable deal, safety is also one of the few positions where top players haven’t been getting ridiculous contracts on the market.  Though, I’ve read he’s looking for $8+M a year and that his agents are using his PFF grade as the reason.  Can’t imagine he’ll go over $7M though.

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

Agreed. And he handled it in a classy way too today from what I heard. Best wishes to him and I thank him for his help in bringing Super Bowl 50 here! 

• Like 2