Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

32 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Has someone else been posting under my handle?  

First someone says I called JuWan James injury prone and now I'm lionizing Mike Munchak?

Apparently you're carrying the target today...

There's a good read on how the Pats let a bunch of players go to sign high contracts with other teams and it's okay because they have a great history of developing (cheaper) replacements. Our (past 3-4 year) organizational history is lacking in draft, development, and free agency...which is why we kinda suck. That being said, I think we're all generally positive about some coaching additions but overall waiting to see it with our own eyes mentality - how does it transpire to the field of play. If the ship reverses course then people will move on and we can say Elway had some bad luck as a GM but he dug his way out and that's good. On the other hand, if the next 2 season are repeats of the same crap, then there's no coming back, everyone will riot and big changes are in store.

• Like 2

As far as my take.  I don’t mind letting Paradis walk.  I liked him in Denver and he went cheaper than I thought, but I don’t think he moves the needle in the W column and Denver will have opportunities to find a capable replacement if there isn’t one in house (Sam Jones).

I really didn’t see the James contract as an overpay. I actually had him in the mock I was working on coming to Denver for $10M a year.  OTs are probably the 2nd most difficult position to find in the NFL and when a young above average one hits the market they’re going to go for top dollar.  Denver’s RTs have been beaten like drums for damn near a decade. James will solve that problem and is a good fit in a more heavily zone scheme.  

I also happened to have Kareem Jackson in the mock I was working on (along with Amos and James as Denver’s 3 big signings), but had him going for almost half of what Denver paid him.  The Jackson signing is the one I feel Denver really screwed up, especially if guys like Callahan, Nelson, and Darby come on similar deals.  The only saving grace I see is his ability to play safety.  However, that’s CB money they paid him.  If he’s strictly a safety, though, this is a very questionable deal.  Denver would have failed to sign multiple younger players, who are also very good safeties, on cheaper deals.  Jackson was PFFs #14 rated corner, so he can play, but if he is a liability at CB (which is possible as he’s more of a zone guy) and has to play safety this was a mistake.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

One thing that is standing out in free agency - why on earth did we trade Keenum before free agency? I thought it was silly at the time and even more so now. Think what we could fleece the Dolphins for if we still had Keenum to trade. 

The Dolphins are openly talking about tanking the season, they don’t want to pay anyone starting QB money. Sounds like it’s going to be an open competition between David Fales, Teddy Bridgewater and some other bargain bin player. There was already a report that they’re in love with the Bama QB for next year. No way we could’ve fleeced them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Not really. It took a broken ankle to get him out of the lineup.

There is no doubt Paradis is tough as hell. But being tough doesn’t translate to deserving a long term deal.  Honestly, he really isn’t all that good.  He’s been a tough and consistent, which is why Denver fans are partial to him.  Which fits as those were the traits of many of the Broncos OLs during the mid/late 90s dominant years.

Edited by germ-x

10 hours ago, paul-mac said:

The Dolphins are openly talking about tanking the season, they don’t want to pay anyone starting QB money. Sounds like it’s going to be an open competition between David Fales, Teddy Bridgewater and some other bargain bin player. There was already a report that they’re in love with the Bama QB for next year. No way we could’ve fleeced them. 

I would be intrigued to see the cap hit and commitment to get Bridgewater to be a Dolphin vs Case on a 1 year deal. I have my suspicion the former would be more expensive, but we will see.

Re: Paradis - it's a shame he's not a Bronco any more. He's an excellent technician and from all accounts, an excellent communicator on the line. He clearly played through the pain barrier for us, and we should all be forever grateful for that. However ...

I find it difficult to lament Elway for not committing to a Center with the sort of injuries Matt has sustained. There is no room for sentiment in the NFL; go ask the best ran franchise in the league. You pay a guy for what he will bring in the future, not what he's done in the past. Now Matt may well go on to prove Elway wrong and I hope he does, but let's not act like there isn't significant logic in not signing a guy to high level guaranteed money when their hips are shot.

I understand people swaying either way with their opinion, but I don't understand people having such strength in their conviction; it really could go either way.

I think it's really well worked contract from Paradis' perspective. He's basically guaranteed the first 2 years of his deal ($12.8m) because the Panthers would only save $1.6m by cutting him year 2. Then, he's due $10.3m in year 3 but because of how his signing bonus is spread out, he carries a dead cap of $5.4m if he's cut (so only a saving of $4.93m).

If he can ball out for 2 years then he may be too tough of a cut for just a $4.93m saving, so he'd earn $26.8m in 3 years and hit the market again at 31. 

Edited by lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I would be intrigued to see the cap hit and commitment to get Bridgewater to be a Dolphin vs Case on a 1 year deal. I have my suspicion the former would be more expensive, but we will see.

Re: Paradis - it's a shame he's not a Bronco any more. He's an excellent technician and from all accounts, an excellent communicator on the line. He clearly played through the pain barrier for us, and we should all be forever grateful for that. However ...

I find it difficult to lament Elway for not committing to a Center with the sort of injuries Matt has sustained. There is no room for sentiment in the NFL; go ask the best ran franchise in the league. You pay a guy for what he will bring in the future, not what he's done in the past. Now Matt may well go on to prove Elway wrong and I hope he does, but let's not act like there isn't significant logic in not signing a guy to high level guaranteed money when their hips are shot.

I understand people swaying either way with their opinion, but I don't understand people having such strength in their conviction; it really could go either way.

I think it's really well worked contract from Paradis' perspective. He's basically guaranteed the first 2 years of his deal ($12.8m) because the Panthers would only save $1.6m by cutting him year 2. Then, he's due $10.3m in year 3 but because of how his signing bonus is spread out, he carries a dead cap of $5.4m if he's cut (so only a saving of $4.93m).

If he can ball out for 2 years then he may be too tough of a cut for just a $4.93m saving, so he'd earn $26.8m in 3 years and hit the market again at 31. 

But its worth it to commit money to a corner who  can't stay healthy?

10 hours ago, paul-mac said:

This is a great possibility. Miami have many holes in their roster and many dead cap. They certainly identified that they couldn't rebuild in 1 year. 

Tank for Tua but Tua is not Andrew Lock . They put their eggs in one basket...........this is not a great running for the GM .

I like Flacco.  All those years in Baltimore and he never had a great WR corp.  It seemed he had good run support, but nobody to throw to.  Now he has Sanders, Sutton, and Hamilton.  I think the TE situation will get resolved (Jared Cook still out there even though he had a breakout year), which will give him some more weapons.  What I like about the Flacco trade is that he plays better in big games. I think we can two years out of Flacco and have a good run...setup a top notch offensive line and defense and I think the Broncos can make a run. 

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

But its worth it to commit money to a corner who  can't stay healthy?

In my opinion? Probably not. But positionally, it's not even close in terms of a) importance and b) ease to replace.

Jackson has shown he can still play in this league, and more importantly, he has the ability to play Safety and slot CB. That skillset is going to cost you money and it's very difficult to find any player who has less than 3/4 years of NFL experience to do it (thus can't find it in the draft for instant impact).

Edited by lomaxgrUK

14 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

HUh?

When did I bash Ju'Wuan James for being injury prone? When did I even mention any thing about any injury as related to him? 

Relax, I think you misread my post. You didn't even mention James...I was referencing what I had read (mostly on reddit, admittedly) from others who were saying James was injury prone because he has missed a lot of time in his short career. 

Edit: heck I was basically agreeing with your statement that season ending injuries can happen to anyone.

Edited by Royal_VT
Clarification

Packer fan here...looking for some insight on Billy Taylor.

We have signed him to presumably be our starting RG/Backup RT insurance.

We will be running a stretch ZBS, which requires a more athletic type of OLman.

Thoughts on Billy? At G? At T? Has he reached his potential?

(I just moved from Denver, was living right down the street from the stadium on the south side of Sloan’s. Love the city and miss it very much)

25 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

(I just moved from Denver, was living right down the street from the stadium on the south side of Sloan’s. Love the city and miss it very much)

This is Billy Turner.

Good backup at RT for me. Not a starter but can replace the starter better sometimes. Yes potential is reached not a futur all pro

1 hour ago, n8ghee said:

I liked Turner and was hoping Denver would keep him and play him at LG until Leary was ready to go.

He isn’t a world beater, but he’ll be a solid starter for you at RG and adds to his value with his ability to also play tackle.

38 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I liked Turner and was hoping Denver would keep him and play him at LG until Leary was ready to go.

He isn’t a world beater, but he’ll be a solid starter for you at RG and adds to his value with his ability to also play tackle.

Contract quite large for a player I didn’t know anything about. I wonder what other teams were in talks with him that increased the number so high, wonder if you guys were trying to get him.