Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

There is no 'young guy' available (either draft or FA) that would be capable of winning a game next season.

Unless some miracle happens Keenum will be QB next year - and I think the best person to call plays for him would be Kubiak.

None capable of winning a game? That’s a little dramatic 

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Taken in a vacuum, no, that wouldn’t be the worst thing.

Problem is, because Ellis sucks at his job and screwed up the stadium naming rights issue, we need to win as many games as we can right away and become as relevant as possible as soon as possible in hopes of securing more primetime and nationally-televised games to make shelling out eight figures for naming rights is more appealing to some corporation out there. 

The business side of things is, unfortunately, affecting the football side of things. And not for the better. 

Unfortunately we just aren't there though. The FO can want and hope all they like that we can be a force next season. Truth is we're in a bit of a hole that needs time to get back out of.

And yeah it sucks that our off the field business is affecting our expectations on the field. Taking that pressure off and just rebuilding for a while would be ideal. 

5 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

There is no 'young guy' available (either draft or FA) that would be capable of winning a game next season.

Unless some miracle happens Keenum will be QB next year - and I think the best person to call plays for him would be Kubiak.

I believe Keenum will be the QB next year because Elway doesn't want to look stupid. I'm sure he'd rather avoid having to face media in the offseason asking him why he's yet again looking for a new QB when he was sure Keenum was the guy last time. He'll keep him around and support him cos he sorta has to.

Doesn't mean others have to have faith in him though. The Case Keenum I saw this season was the same Case Keenum the NFL knows. An average journeyman QB who can lead your team to a few wins but is not the guy you want to bet your franchise on.

The season with Minnesota he deserves credit for simply because if it was that easy Kirk Cousins would have done the same thing this season with the Vikings. But I do believe as good a season it was for him it was a rarity and we won't see the same from him in Denver.

So yeah I expect Case to be under centre next year but I sure hope we're already looking for the next one. 

Case Keenum will be here next season, end of story. Even if we draft Haskins, there's no way his 15th start above high school football is week 1 year 1 for a team that always views itself as a playoff contender. Teddy Bridgewater is appealing, but when he costs $14M? On top of the dead money for Case? Let's end this pipe dream right here and now: Case Keenum is our starting QB in September 2019. Somehow, we have painted ourselves into a corner where he's our best, and realistically only, chance for playoff contention next season. 

As for the other potential cuts: Sanders is gone, Wolfe and Leary need to accept restructures to stay, and Stewart and Marshall should be pushed to as well. 

Of the impact UFA's, I'm assuming Barrett's gone (he's been on the field for a quarter of all defensive snaps this season, clearly he's not in the plans), but Paradis needs to be kept by just about any means necessary. Nobody on the market could come close to matching his on-field value. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Case Keenum will be here next season, end of story. Even if we draft Haskins, there's no way his 15th start above high school football is week 1 year 1 for a team that always views itself as a playoff contender. Teddy Bridgewater is appealing, but when he costs $14M? On top of the dead money for Case? Let's end this pipe dream right here and now: Case Keenum is our starting QB in September 2019. Somehow, we have painted ourselves into a corner where he's our best, and realistically only, chance for playoff contention next season. 

As for the other potential cuts: Sanders is gone, Wolfe and Leary need to accept restructures to stay, and Stewart and Marshall should be pushed to as well. 

Of the impact UFA's, I'm assuming Barrett's gone (he's been on the field for a quarter of all defensive snaps this season, clearly he's not in the plans), but Paradis needs to be kept by just about any means necessary. Nobody on the market could come close to matching his on-field value. 

Can see Wolfe being asked to restructure - but I think injuries mean that Leary is done in Denver. I also expect Marshall to be done, replaced by Jewell. As for Barrett, I expect him to stay with Ray out the door. We go with four rushers and with Holland, will back-up Miller and Chubb.

9 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I read in the Athletic that Sanders can’t get cut while hurt - I think he’s gonna be back 

37 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I read in the Athletic that Sanders can’t get cut while hurt - I think he’s gonna be back 

33 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't think thats how it works thought mext year hes on a team option. 

Technically both statements are correct.  Right now, DEN could't release Sanders.  But once the new year starts, the only contracts that are guaranteed are either fully guaranteed, or guaranteed for injury.  We know 2019 wasn't fully guaranteed.   Unless Sanders had a 2019 guarantee for injury, then DEN could cut him.   Adding to this was the knowledge that DEN had a team option to exercise the 2019 year for Sanders between February 8 and March 12 - that was meant to protect Sanders from being a pre-FA cut, but it's highly doubtful it was guaranteed for injury.  If it was, then yes, he's in the clear.  But if 2019 wasn't guaranteed for injury, then DEN can get out of the 2019 deal with only the 2.7M bonus hit left and 10.25M saved. 

The fact that we have to decide so early, as much as it pains me to say it, I don't see how Elway renews the 2019 option.   If it's guaranteed for injury though, then yes, it's locked in, Sanders won't pass a physical that soon.  The thing is, there's no notation of that in OTC or Spotrac, so seems unlikely, OTC especially is very much up-to-date on this stuff (they had the injury guarantee on Menelik Watson's 2018 salary that most of us, myself included, missed).

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Technically both statements are correct.  Right now, DEN could't release Sanders.  But once the new year starts, the only contracts that are guaranteed are either fully guaranteed, or guaranteed for injury.  We know 2019 wasn't fully guaranteed.   Unless Sanders had a 2019 guarantee for injury, then DEN could cut him.   Adding to this was the knowledge that DEN had a team option to exercise the 2019 year for Sanders between February 8 and March 12 - that was meant to protect Sanders from being a pre-FA cut, but it's highly doubtful it was guaranteed for injury.  If it was, then yes, he's in the clear.  But if 2019 wasn't guaranteed for injury, then DEN can get out of the 2019 deal with only the 2.7M bonus hit left and 10.25M saved. 

The fact that we have to decide so early, as much as it pains me to say it, I don't see how Elway renews the 2019 option.   If it's guaranteed for injury though, then yes, it's locked in, Sanders won't pass a physical that soon.  The thing is, there's no notation of that in OTC or Spotrac, so seems unlikely, OTC especially is very much up-to-date on this stuff (they had the injury guarantee on Menelik Watson's 2018 salary that most of us, myself included, missed).

Emmanuel signed his deal 2 -3 offseasons ago the money was front loaded I doubt it was guaranteed for injury. 

God, I want a decent QB so bad.  But expect we are probably stuck with Keenum for 2019.  I’d love the Duke QB in the 2nd.  But IF we don’t address QB this year (outside of a Day 2 flyer, etc), we HAVE to position ourselves for the 2020 draft.  Seriously, whatever it takes to acquire an extra 1st rounder, and a full on tank next year. 

And im disappointed that VJ hasn’t been fired yet....

1 hour ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

God, I want a decent QB so bad.  But expect we are probably stuck with Keenum for 2019.  I’d love the Duke QB in the 2nd.  But IF we don’t address QB this year (outside of a Day 2 flyer, etc), we HAVE to position ourselves for the 2020 draft.  Seriously, whatever it takes to acquire an extra 1st rounder, and a full on tank next year. 

And im disappointed that VJ hasn’t been fired yet....

If we don't come out of this draft with any qb I'll be really disappointed . Get a qb to compete and learn under Keenum and as soon as the writing is on the wall next season start that guy if he sucks better draft ammo for next year if hes good no need to address qb position in 2020. This team needs a plan. Right now I just see vagueness.