Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Change that to LT and you're correct. Traditional school of thought as far as OL Athleticism needed is LT, Center, RG, LG, RT in that order. If James can be our swing LT if Bolles goes down thats a help. 

I think that thought process has changed.  College football is producing pass rushers galore, and most teams in the league are capable of throwing out 2 good edge rushers.

Many teams place their best pass rushers on the left side, look no further than the Broncos with Von Miller.  The Packers did this for years with Clay Matthews as well.

The big power guys on the right side of the OL are a thing of the past, IMO.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I think that thought process has changed.  College football is producing pass rushers galore, and most teams in the league are capable of throwing out 2 good edge rushers.

Many teams place their best pass rushers on the left side, look no further than the Broncos with Von Miller.  The Packers did this for years with Clay Matthews as well.

The big power guys on the right side of the OL are a thing of the past, IMO.

The thought process still doesn't change. It's easier to cover RT deficiencies than any other OL spot.

A RT that can play on the left is a luxury and a great one. Titans are a great example. 

If James is that guy I'll be pleased. His size is about right.

52 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

The thought process still doesn't change. It's easier to cover RT deficiencies than any other OL spot.

A RT that can play on the left is a luxury and a great one. Titans are a great example. 

If James is that guy I'll be pleased. His size is about right.

It isn’t any easier than any other position OL position, don’t know why it would be.

In 2008 Ross Tucker (a 7 year nfl veteran) had an article in Sports Illustrated where he and 4 other lineman rated the difficulty of each OL position. The results were: 1. LT 2. RT 3. RG 4. LG and 5. OC.

They gave the nod to LT over RT for 2 reasons, LT faced more consistent quality pass rushers and in most cases protected the QBs blindside which means a mistake has a higher chance of leading to a turnover.  They said both positions receive similar help, just in different ways.  A LT receives more help from the guard next to him because most lines will slide to that side to protect a QBs blindside.  These makes RTs more likely to receive support from a TE or RB.

The above is also why they rated RG over LG.  The LG is far more likely to receive support from the OC than the RG making the RG the position along the interior the most important in terms of pass protection.  Todd Steussie a 10+ year NFL veteran agreed that RG is more difficult than left.

As far as the center, they said it is more about intellect that physical skill and that OCs are the least likely to be asked to win 1 vs 1 matchups. 

I can’t get the article to copy over for some reason on my phone, but will keep trying.  If you Google it I am sure you’ll find it.  It’s a good read.

Edited by germ-x

I don’t mind the Huereman (or however you spell it) signing.  He looked respectable last year before getting hurt and he gives us a decent starting TE, something that wasn’t currently on the roster.  I like getting holes filled predraft as it makes it less likely Elway reaches on a player at a position of need.

17 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Sounds sounds like we’re signing Callahan. Our secondary should be in pretty solid shape now 

Considering you’re replying to a couple of jokes, I don’t know how true this is.  I hope we’re signing Callahan, with Denver having little cap space that would be a coup as he was arguably the best CB on the market.

Actually just saw it was true.  Big time signing.  That locks in our CBS for this year.  Callahan even if only a nickel CB is elite.  Didn’t think there was a chance after the Jackson signing.  Hell of a move by Elway and allows them to use Jackson in a hybrid role.

6 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Considering you’re replying to a couple of jokes, I don’t know how true this is.  I hope we’re signing Callahan, with Denver having little cap space that would be a coup as he was arguably the best CB on the market.

Schefter said we are but I don’t have twitter to embed a tweet