Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

On a lighter but related note - funny exchange last night, btw, which shows both sides at least keeping a sense of humor.

DEN released an Avengers-style DEN promo tweet.  But guess who it didn't include?  Yup, Harris.     Like how the ARI promo video for 2019 didn't include Josh Rosen, and went viral because of that notable omission.

Harris being active on social media, couldn't resist:

The org, realizing the gaffe, to their credit, fixed it.

At least it's good to see both sides being civil about this.  Funny stuff.

Edited by Broncofan

Okay, so the guy that asked the question in the first place is an idiot. The last thing on Elways mind right now is extensions for players under contract. He's got months to figure out that part.

Whats wrong with Elways answer? He made no guarantees, just said we'll talk about it. What else is he supposed to do?

Elway didn't raise any issue, elevate any discussion or say anything we didn't already know. How is he the bad guy?

The only thing over the top was CHJ's response. He knows that now is not the time for contract extension talk, so does his agent and just about every fan in the NFL. 

Blaming Elway for any thing here is absurd. We have plenty of legitimate gripes to lay at his feet. This just isn't one of them.

Just now, AKRNA said:

Okay, so the guy that asked the question in the first place is an idiot. The last thing on Elways mind right now is extensions for players under contract. He's got months to figure out that part.

Whats wrong with Elways answer? He made no guarantees, just said we'll talk about it. What else is he supposed to do?

Elway didn't raise any issue, elevate any discussion or say anything we didn't already know. How is he the bad guy?

The only thing over the top was CHJ's response. He knows that now is not the time for contract extension talk, so does his agent and just about every fan in the NFL. 

Blaming Elway for any thing here is absurd. We have plenty of legitimate gripes to lay at his feet. This just isn't one of them.

I agree...isn't this what Bellychick does?  I mean, we all love CHJ, and we all liked CJ, but when it comes down to getting players at value, which you have to do these days....I think you gotta make the hard decisions sometimes...or, a lot of the time.  The only untouchable player I see on the team is Von because he is the face of the franchise, and I could see Chubb working into that space.  

3 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I agree...isn't this what Bellychick does?  I mean, we all love CHJ, and we all liked CJ, but when it comes down to getting players at value, which you have to do these days....I think you gotta make the hard decisions sometimes...or, a lot of the time.  The only untouchable player I see on the team is Von because he is the face of the franchise, and I could see Chubb working into that space.  

It's what he always does. He even did it with Brady. 

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

What exactly was the purpose of adding "that doesn't mean we're going to do anything" after giving an acceptable answer at a press conference where the goal is generally to say as little as possible? That was all ego. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

What exactly was the purpose of adding "that doesn't mean we're going to do anything" after giving an acceptable answer at a press conference where the goal is generally to say as little as possible? That was all ego. 

Context is key and it's very clear watching the video.  The Q was given, the answer was done.  Elway then chose to come back and pile on.  

As a contrast - Harris Jr. is very active on social media.  He had tons of opportunities to make demands.  He didn't choose to.  Not a single time.  Neither did he choose to do so in his interviews during the offseason.

Harris' demands may be unreasonable.  No argument there.  I don't think anyone (well most everyone anyways) thinks otherwise.  But again, painting Harris as the problem for why it's now public, and the timing, well, given the above, I don't see it.  This was Elway's choice to let it play out this way.

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Probably so Elway doesn't read a headline in the DP the next day saying " Bronco's Close to extension terms with CHJ".

37 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Completely disagree. He could have easily said something along these lines

"We're going to deal with that after the draft. Chris is a great Bronco and great player and we want to get something done." 

So easy. Instead he wants to be a jerk about it. There is a reason why the culture of this organization is a joke right now and Elway's treatment of some of the vets is a major reason why. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

It has nothing to do with the decision Elway ends up making. It's about his approach and general dismissal of a guy that is important to this team. Making it pretty clear that he doesn't value these guys.