Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Physically talented yeah. Problem with Von is and has been how to hit the "on" switch. LT was "on" every play of every game. If Von had that mentality he'd go down as the GOAT. As it is, just a very good edge rusher.

LT was 'on' because he was buzzed. No player plays flat out 100% of the time - you can't, you will burn out very quickly. The best players know when to go at 100% and when to conserve their energy and effort. 

MIller is one of the best defensive players I have seen in 35 years of watching football - and he has another 4-5 years to top line play before we will see any decline.

I would like to see us draft Daylon Mack from TAMU to play nose tackle for this defense. Not sure where his draft stock will be but he has impressive burst for his size and can control the line of scrimmage. If he can be a third round option for us we could get a really solid player in the middle of our defense. 

Elway better not do something stupid in FA. Although, give he learned from Mike Shanahan, I wouldn't be surprised if we started spending indiscriminately for no good reason.

We go into 2019 with ~$37.5MM in cap space. If we move on from Sanders ($10MM cap benefit), Wolfe ($8.6MM cap benefit), Leary ($8MM cap benefit), Marshall ($5MM benefit), Stewart ($4MM benefit)- you're suddenly in a pretty good spot. If all those guys were gone, you're talking $73.1 MM in cap space. Now, I don't expect Denver to move on from all of them. Wolfe I think will stay. But I think Marshall/Stewart are as good as gone. Sanders is a wild card. Leary I would ditch at this point. 

I guess my point is that Denver isn't a contender yet. If they're smart, they get a QB either this year and next, and they have the cap situation to do something similar to the Rams. There's young talent and not a lot of guys who are being paid a ton of money, which, if we draft well again, puts us on the right track to acquire impact players to supplement young talent. The window is cracked open, and Elway/Sullivan have a chance to really come out of this in great shape if they don't spend wildly.

• Like 1

Diontae Johnson just declared. He is a beast. I hope we take him in R3, despite many calling him a R5 or so projection.

Not the biggest, 5'11 and under 200lbs, but he plays much bigger and he is electric with the ball in his hands. I wont compare him to AB, because I hate using HOF caliber types in player comps, but he has similar traits. Maybe TY Hilton would be a better comparison, as he also plays a bit bigger than his size and is a legit #1 despite not having #1 size. I think Diontae can become a similar type #1 WR as TY. He does body catch too often though. At worst he is a great ST talent, but I really think he could explode as the next small school guy. I would love if this played out:

Sign Randall Cobb to two year deal, second year un-guaranteed (Vet, should come cheap, some versatility), draft Diontae Johnson R3, hope Sutton and DaeSean Hamilton continue to develop as WR2 and SLOT. Keep Tim Patrick as WR4. Not the prettiest rotation, but we cant afford a top flight FA WR, I dont think using a R1/R2 pick is smart on a WR and age/contract/injury makes keeping Manny pretty unlikely IMO.

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

I would like to see us draft Daylon Mack from TAMU to play nose tackle for this defense. Not sure where his draft stock will be but he has impressive burst for his size and can control the line of scrimmage. If he can be a third round option for us we could get a really solid player in the middle of our defense. 

Admitted bias here, but I wonder if we could try and pry Tim Settle from the Redskins for a 5th/6th rounder or something. He did not get much playing time, since he is behind Payne at NT. From what little I saw, and talking with Redskins fans, he was more than serviceable when in the game.

44 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Elway better not do something stupid in FA. Although, give he learned from Mike Shanahan, I wouldn't be surprised if we started spending indiscriminately for no good reason.

We go into 2019 with ~$37.5MM in cap space. If we move on from Sanders ($10MM cap benefit), Wolfe ($8.6MM cap benefit), Leary ($8MM cap benefit), Marshall ($5MM benefit), Stewart ($4MM benefit)- you're suddenly in a pretty good spot. If all those guys were gone, you're talking $73.1 MM in cap space. Now, I don't expect Denver to move on from all of them. Wolfe I think will stay. But I think Marshall/Stewart are as good as gone. Sanders is a wild card. Leary I would ditch at this point. 

I guess my point is that Denver isn't a contender yet. If they're smart, they get a QB either this year and next, and they have the cap situation to do something similar to the Rams. There's young talent and not a lot of guys who are being paid a ton of money, which, if we draft well again, puts us on the right track to acquire impact players to supplement young talent. The window is cracked open, and Elway/Sullivan have a chance to really come out of this in great shape if they don't spend wildly.

I don't expect this to happen, but if we have a ton of cap space for 2019 - would we be able to (again) restructure Von's deal and undo the damage that was done in pushing out his money? Front load his money a little to take a hit in 2019, and free up some 2020/2021 space. His cap hit for 2019 is already $25m, so it seems very unlikely, but might be the smart move.

9 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

LT was 'on' because he was buzzed. No player plays flat out 100% of the time - you can't, you will burn out very quickly. The best players know when to go at 100% and when to conserve their energy and effort. 

MIller is one of the best defensive players I have seen in 35 years of watching football - and he has another 4-5 years to top line play before we will see any decline.

Aw c'mon. You can't sum up the career of arguably the greatest defensive player ever by saying he was "buzzed". This is the only guy in the game that won DROY and DPOY in the same year.

I disagree with your assessment that no player plays flat out every play. Many do every play. Thats why you've got so many players on a roster, similar to hockey. When you're beat take a breather and sit. When you're on the field play every down like it will be your last.

Anyway, if "burning out quickly" means a 10 year career being the best in the game I'll take it.

Anyway, we'll just have to disagree here.

6 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

Admitted bias here, but I wonder if we could try and pry Tim Settle from the Redskins for a 5th/6th rounder or something. He did not get much playing time, since he is behind Payne at NT. From what little I saw, and talking with Redskins fans, he was more than serviceable when in the game.

I don’t know. I’d really prefer not to settle for Settle, whatever the Case may be. 

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. 😆

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t know. I’d really prefer not to settle for Settle, whatever the Case may be. 

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. 😆

I'll bet you could hear my groan, even though I'm thousands of miles away.9_9

• Like 1

Aw c'mon. You can't sum up the career of arguably the greatest defensive player ever by saying he was "buzzed". This is the only guy in the game that won DROY and DPOY in the same year.

I disagree with your assessment that no player plays flat out every play. Many do every play. Thats why you've got so many players on a roster, similar to hockey. When you're beat take a breather and sit. When you're on the field play every down like it will be your last.

Anyway, if "burning out quickly" means a 10 year career being the best in the game I'll take it.

Anyway, we'll just have to disagree here.

Ya, that assessment was nuts. The idea that LT began games by getting hammered and doing blow for a competitive advantage is crazy. If those substances were so performance enhancing, you would have guys getting popped with pints of henny on the sideline.

LT was just a freak. Much like Dennis Rodman. They had nonhuman bodies that were capable of nonhuman things. They didnt get hangovers like us and could party till 4AM, sleep a few hours, and play generational games. But the substances didnt help their play, not in the long run.

Some people are just freaks when it comes to processing drugs and alcahol, I would wager LT and Rodman would fall into that superhuman category of Hunter Thompson, Keith Richards, Ozzy, etc. Some studies actually show that persons with certain genetics have livers that metabolize at insane rates and concurrently repair scarring at insane rates. I assume all the above guys have that.

Wish I did too. lol.  

44 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, that assessment was nuts. The idea that LT began games by getting hammered and doing blow for a competitive advantage is crazy. If those substances were so performance enhancing, you would have guys getting popped with pints of henny on the sideline.

LT was just a freak. Much like Dennis Rodman. They had nonhuman bodies that were capable of nonhuman things. They didnt get hangovers like us and could party till 4AM, sleep a few hours, and play generational games. But the substances didnt help their play, not in the long run.

Some people are just freaks when it comes to processing drugs and alcahol, I would wager LT and Rodman would fall into that superhuman category of Hunter Thompson, Keith Richards, Ozzy, etc. Some studies actually show that persons with certain genetics have livers that metabolize at insane rates and concurrently repair scarring at insane rates. I assume all the above guys have that.

Wish I did too. lol.  

While I don’t think it was responsible for his motor, I do think his coke-fueled party life did shorten LT’s career.    But what a career it was. 

Edited by Broncofan

43 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Wish I did too. lol.  

Thought I did in college, but here I am at 29 with 2 day hangovers

Didnt want to start a thread for just this but here is a little offseason Mock.

Resign 

Shelby Harris

Matt Paradis

Billy Turner

Jeff Heureman 

Domata Peko

Shaq Barrett

Release

Darian Stewart

Emanuel Sanders

Brandon Marshall

Sign