Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

10 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

The annoying thing is that Elway could have already negotiated an extension for CHJ - instead he chose not to and now Harris has a new contract he can point to.

CHJ should have never signed a five year deal. His agent should have never locked him into that contract. Elway nearly maxes out his cap and cash budget every year. A big deal for CHJ is not in the budget. He’s gonna hit UFA or be franchise tagged next year. 

1 hour ago, Winder23 said:

CHJ should have never signed a five year deal. His agent should have never locked him into that contract. Elway nearly maxes out his cap and cash budget every year. A big deal for CHJ is not in the budget. He’s gonna hit UFA or be franchise tagged next year. 

I don't think a trades out of the question either. Actually I kind of expect it. 

IMO this will be a transition year on both sides of the ball. New offense and defense, new personnel, new staff. Realistically we can't compete for the AFC West this year so why sign a 30 YO CB to a $15mil contract? 

The Xavien Howard deal probably does 2 things: 

1.  It allows both sides to save face PR-wise if an extension doesn’t happen.  The deal gives Elway enough cover to justify moving on PR wise without having to paint CHJ as the bad guy.   He can point to the commitment as not being in line with the team makeup etc.  The Howard deal just doesn’t make sense for a 30 year old no matter how great.   On the flip side it certainly makes Harris’ demand as current with the market nowadays (although it’s a shell game the guaranteed $ is what really counts).  The problem is in the long term future commitment.  

2.   It also reduces the CB seller market for potential shutdown CB’s to DEN and ARI (with PP).   Peterson costs 24/2 and is a year younger while Harris is 8.8/1 (and he gets a 13M / franchise year option, P-Pete would be about 15M since his base is 12.5M).   If ARI isn’t selling then it gives Elway more leverage if another team feels they are a shutdown CB away from legit contention.   

I do think this seals a parting of ways.  The question seems more not if but when.   Play out the year then leave or get traded.  An extension was iffy pre-Howard but it seems so unlikely now.  

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Saw the Chefs just traded a 2020 6th for ILB Darron Lee, disappointed Elway didn't pounce on that, we have 2 6ths in next years draft. 

He's too small and not good enough in coverage to compensate. 

I get the move for the Chiefs in Spag's system, and teams will be throwing a lot more against them in a bid to catchup to the Chiefs Offense, but the move makes no sense for us.

With the P-Pete suspension if CHJ and Elway can’t find common ground it leaves Den as the only potential seller for a shutdown CB with Xavien Howard locked up in MIA.    Can’t imagine this will do anything but harden Elway’s position here, the trade market no longer has multiple options for buyers.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Andrew Perloff (from the Dan Patrick Show) was on the Pick Six Podcast yesterday and he talked a little about the Broncos last year (he's very close with Case Keenum).

He was subtle, but you could tell he had a keen eye on the Broncos last season because of how intricate his knowledge was (specific injuries, specific players underperforming, Coordinator changes, etc).

One tidbit that caught my ear was him making references to next year he said, "Courtland Sutton might realise his potential and DeSean Hamilton might run the right routes".  That latter comment has clearly come straight from Case. I did make reference to this in a couple of my game notes from last season; this must have been an issue last year. It's  certainly not uncommon for a rookie WR, but let's keep an eye on that this preseason.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 1:11 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Andrew Perloff (from the Dan Patrick Show) was on the Pick Six Podcast yesterday and he talked a little about the Broncos last year (he's very close with Case Keenum).

He was subtle, but you could tell he had a keen eye on the Broncos last season because of how intricate his knowledge was (specific injuries, specific players underperforming, Coordinator changes, etc).

One tidbit that caught my ear was him making references to next year he said, "Courtland Sutton might realise his potential and DeSean Hamilton might run the right routes".  That latter comment has clearly come straight from Case. I did make reference to this in a couple of my game notes from last season; this must have been an issue last year. It's  certainly not uncommon for a rookie WR, but let's keep an eye on that this preseason.

I’m sure he did it a few times, as he was a rookie. But it sounds like sour grapes as well. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Not sure where our cap is currently at, but I doubt we can afford him. I'd love to have him though. 

Unfortunate situation for the Bucs and McCoy I feel like. Hate to see these franchise players leave on the back end of their career like this. I wish there was some sort of salary cap benefit to rostering players for a certain number of years. Haven't thought about it beyond that initial idea, so no idea if that makes sense at all - I just wish we saw more players finish their careers with one team which is not the norm these days.

11 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Not sure where our cap is currently at, but I doubt we can afford him. I'd love to have him though. 

He’s a better fit in a 4-3 and while teams mix concepts enough it’s not an absolute, it’s hard to see he will be signed at bargain rates (but it likely will be a discount from 13M).   He was cut with Tampa going to a 3-4 and the feeling he wouldn’t return his value in the scheme.   A bunch of contenders would love him in their 4-3 base.   

The bigger issue is McCoy is looking for a contender.   You have to believe a bunch of other teams look far more appealing to him.  

3 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

Unfortunate situation for the Bucs and McCoy I feel like. Hate to see these franchise players leave on the back end of their career like this. I wish there was some sort of salary cap benefit to rostering players for a certain number of years. Haven't thought about it beyond that initial idea, so no idea if that makes sense at all - I just wish we saw more players finish their careers with one team which is not the norm these days.

Part of the CBA that’s so ridiculously team friendly.   Tampa knew they were converting to a 3-4 when they hired Bowles as DC in January and certainly by March when FA opened.  To wait now only limits the number of suitors by having teams spend a lot of their cap allocation earlier.   A guy like McCoy won’t stay unemployed for long but likely at a significant discount than his 13M salary  (say 8M plus incentives).   Waiting until now really hurts the player.  There are so many problems with the CBA from the players side though I don’t even know that this is top 4-5 for them.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

Doesn't happen much anymore. I'd guess we go through it this year with CHJ and next year with Von.