Is This Collusion? (Biological Brothers Scenario)

the lone star

Is This Collusion?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is This Collusion?

• Yes, It Is Collusion
    • No, It Is Not Collusion

You think its fair and/or collusion if there are 2+ blood-brothers in a fantasy league and they don't bid against each other if one of them is in trade talks with a third owner? Like such a practice takes a potential trade partner away from basically any other team in the league.

Personally, I think that's unfair. I can see how its collusion too. Like there are MLB court cases about how that is collusion. See Below.

" Baseball collusion refers to owners working together to avoid competitive bidding for player services or players jointly negotiating with team owners.

Collusion in baseball is formally defined in the Major League Baseball Collective Bargaining Agreement, which states "Players shall not act in concert with other Players and Clubs shall not act in concert with other Clubs." [1] Major League Baseball went through a period of owner collusion during the off-seasons of 1985, 1986, and 1987.

Historically, owner collusion was often referred to as a "gentleman's agreement".[2] After the 1918 season, owners released all their players – terminating the non-guaranteed contracts, with a "gentleman's agreement" not to sign each other's players, as a means of forcing down player salaries.[3]"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_collusion

18 hours ago, Forge said:

No. I'm fine with it. 

Why is that? At what point does it become collusion? Like with the MLB cases it was determined collusion, and if competitors fix prices for their goods/services (ex: healthcare), then it's considered anti-competitive and collusion.

At the very least I think this type of behavior is anti-competitive, but it's tough to gauge when it becomes collusion.

One, trading isn't a requirement for any league or player. So there's that. If all the brothers simply decided they weren't trading with anyone, that would also restrict the trade market. Are you going to force them to complete trades? No, of course not. Nor would any league. In my major money league, I have 4 teams that simply will not trade with anyone. 3 of them have never completed a trade in over a decade, one did the second year in the league (about 11 years ago), got destroyed in the trade by me, and hasn't completed a trade since lol. That severely limits my trade market in my league (and it'll be even more limited after this year, since 4 of the trades I completed ended up with the player I traded getting hurt immediately and missing multiple weeks LOL), but I'm not proposing to my commish that we boot them from the league or force them to entertain trades. 

Two, the third party is under no obligation to accept the trade from one of the brothers as presented. He can choose to sit on his players. If the brother is lowballing him, he can counter, and if they can't find an agreement, they simply won't trade. After all, it's not like the brother can blatantly rip him off - if the trade is that lopsided, it would just get vetoed. Again, trading isn't a requirement, and if you draft wisely and play the free agent game well, you really don't have to make a trade anyway. Trades are just an avenue to get to a destination, however they aren't the only way to get there. 

He's also not restricted from offering a trade to another brother; they may not actively go against their brother in a bidding war to acquire the same trade, doesn't mean that they wouldn't accept a trade if offered from the third party. 

Also, why in the world would you actively bid against anyone, regardless of whether you are related or not? I basically do that with everyone in the league. If I find out you are trying to acquire the same player as I am, I will absolutely drop out of that conversation and move my pursuits elsewhere. Why do I want to get into a bidding war and escalate the cost? There are other players available who are almost always comparable. I did that twice this year when finding in conversation that  another player in the league was trying to acquire the same player as I was. I immediately just peeled off, went to other targets. People can't kick me out of the league for that. It's a method for running my team. I'm simply not going to get into a bidding war for a player that can be subbed. 

Lastly, how in the world are you going to change it or enforce it? Are you going to force them to bid against one another in trades? How does that work? 

If the players don't like the way others run their team, including not making trades or making trades or whatever, they can always leave the league. 

On 12/17/2018 at 7:13 PM, Forge said:

One, trading isn't a requirement for any league or player. So there's that. If all the brothers simply decided they weren't trading with anyone, that would also restrict the trade market. Are you going to force them to complete trades? No, of course not. Nor would any league. In my major money league, I have 4 teams that simply will not trade with anyone. 3 of them have never completed a trade in over a decade, one did the second year in the league (about 11 years ago), got destroyed in the trade by me, and hasn't completed a trade since lol. That severely limits my trade market in my league (and it'll be even more limited after this year, since 4 of the trades I completed ended up with the player I traded getting hurt immediately and missing multiple weeks LOL), but I'm not proposing to my commish that we boot them from the league or force them to entertain trades. 

Two, the third party is under no obligation to accept the trade from one of the brothers as presented. He can choose to sit on his players. If the brother is lowballing him, he can counter, and if they can't find an agreement, they simply won't trade. After all, it's not like the brother can blatantly rip him off - if the trade is that lopsided, it would just get vetoed. Again, trading isn't a requirement, and if you draft wisely and play the free agent game well, you really don't have to make a trade anyway. Trades are just an avenue to get to a destination, however they aren't the only way to get there. 

He's also not restricted from offering a trade to another brother; they may not actively go against their brother in a bidding war to acquire the same trade, doesn't mean that they wouldn't accept a trade if offered from the third party. 

Also, why in the world would you actively bid against anyone, regardless of whether you are related or not? I basically do that with everyone in the league. If I find out you are trying to acquire the same player as I am, I will absolutely drop out of that conversation and move my pursuits elsewhere. Why do I want to get into a bidding war and escalate the cost? There are other players available who are almost always comparable. I did that twice this year when finding in conversation that  another player in the league was trying to acquire the same player as I was. I immediately just peeled off, went to other targets. People can't kick me out of the league for that. It's a method for running my team. I'm simply not going to get into a bidding war for a player that can be subbed. 

Lastly, how in the world are you going to change it or enforce it? Are you going to force them to bid against one another in trades? How does that work? 

If the players don't like the way others run their team, including not making trades or making trades or whatever, they can always leave the league. 

Yes

Yes

Yes

End thread

Archived