Time to COMPLETE the Organizational PURGE ...

TheOnlyThing

After the 2017 season, through their actions, the Packers acknowledged that aspects of the organization had grown complacent or, worse, had become dysfunctional and or incompetent.

Consequently, and as described below, the organization began purging members of the FRONT OFFICE, COACHING STAFF, and ROSTER in order to change the culture.

With the competitive portion of the 2018 season now over, the purging that began at the end of 2017 should, as set forth below, continue with all deliberate speed.

COACHES:

Already gone from the end of last season are: Mike McCarthy, Head Coach; Winston Moss, Associate Head Coach; Dom Capers, Defensive Coordinator; Mike Trgovac, Defensive Line Coach; Darren Perry, Safeties Coach; Tim McGarigle, Defensive Quality Control Coach; Edgar Bennett, Offensive Coordinator; Alex Van Pelt, QBs Coach; and Luke Getsy, WRs Coach.

The time is now ripe to purge, as soon as the season ends, the likes of: Joe Philbin, Interim Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator; Ron Zook, Special Teams Coordinator; Jim Hostler, Passing Game Coordinator; Frank Cignetti, Jr., QBs Coach; Brian Angelichio, TEs Coach; and Joe Whitt, Jr., Pass Game Coordinator

The new coach should select his staff so even coaches whose performances have been adequate (James Campen, O Line & Mike Pettine, Defensive Coordinator) may be shown the door.

It would not be surprising to see the strength and conditioning staff headed by Mark Lovat get purged as well.

PLAYERS:

Already gone from the end of last season are:

QB:  Joe Callahan, Brett Hundley; RB: Joe Kerridge, Devante Mays, Ty Montgomery, Aaron Ripkowski; WR: Michael Clark, Jeff Janis, Jordy Nelson; TE: Emmanuel Byrd, Richard Rodgers; OL: Jahri Evans; DL: Quinton Dial; OLB: Vince Biegel, Ahmad Brooks, Chris Odom; ILB: Joe Thomas; CB: Donatello Brown, Josh Hawkins, Lenzy Pipkins, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins; S: Morgan Burnett, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Marwin Evans, Jermaine Whitehead; P: Justin Vogel; and LS: Brett Goode.

Players on the 2017 roster who are strong candidates to be purged this offseason include: WR: Randall Cobb; TE: Lance Kendricks; OL: Kyle Murphy; OLB: Clay Matthews; ILB: Jake Ryan; and CB: Davon House.

Others from the 2017 team who might not return in 2019 include Kentrell Brice, Bryan Bulaga, Trevor Davis, Reggie Gilbert, Justin McCray, and Nick Perry.

There will certainly be more players who joined GB this season who will be cut loose this offseason as well.

FRONT OFFICE:

Already gone from the end of last season are: The former GM; Elliott Wolf, Director of Football Operations; and Alonzo Highsmith, Senior Personnel Executive.

With his contract ending, the former GM/current Senior Advisor to Football Operations’ role with the Packers will officially come to an end.

We do not know yet whom Milt Hendrickson will replace, if anyone, but it would not be surprising to see Gute make another move or two to finalize His staff.

To summarize, the purge that began last offseason should now be completed. It is time to embrace the next era of Green Bay Packers' football. Here is hoping Murph/Gutey, the new Head Coach, Arod, and the revamped roster can lead the Packers to another Super Bowl victory.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

After the 2017 season, through their actions, the Packers acknowledged that aspects of the organization had grown complacent or, worse, had become dysfunctional and or incompetent.

Consequently, and as described below, the organization began purging members of the FRONT OFFICE, COACHING STAFF, and ROSTER in order to change the culture.

With the competitive portion of the 2018 season now over, the purging that began at the end of 2017 should, as set forth below, continue with all deliberate speed.

COACHES:

The time is now ripe to purge, as soon as the season ends, the likes of: Joe Philbin, Interim Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator; Ron Zook, Special Teams Coordinator; Jim Hostler, Passing Game Coordinator; Frank Cignetti, Jr., QBs Coach; Brian Angelichio, TEs Coach; and Joe Whitt, Jr., Pass Game Coordinator

The new coach should select his staff so even coaches whose performances have been adequate (James Campen, O Line & Mike Pettine, Defensive Coordinator) may be shown the door.

It would not be surprising to see the strength and conditioning staff headed by Mark Lovat get purged as well.

PLAYERS:

Players on the 2017 roster who are strong candidates to be purged this offseason include: WR: Randall Cobb; TE: Lance Kendricks; OL: Kyle Murphy; OLB: Clay Matthews; ILB: Jake Ryan; and CB: Davon House.

Others from the 2017 team who might not return in 2019 include Kentrell Brice, Bryan Bulaga, Trevor Davis, Reggie Gilbert, Justin McCray, and Nick Perry.

There will certainly be more players who joined GB this season who will be cut loose this offseason as well.

FRONT OFFICE:

Already gone from the end of last season are: The former GM; Elliott Wolf, Director of Football Operations; and Alonzo Highsmith, Senior Personnel Executive.

With his contract ending, the former GM/current Senior Advisor to Football Operations’ role with the Packers will officially come to an end.

We do not know yet whom Milt Hendrickson will replace, if anyone, but it would not be surprising to see Gute make another move or two to finalize His staff.

To summarize, the purge that began last offseason should now be completed. It is time to embrace the next era of Green Bay Packers' football. Here is hoping Murph/Gutey, the new Head Coach, Arod, and the revamped roster can lead the Packers to another Super Bowl victory.

Why are we cutting all the half competent dirt cheap guys?

Obviously the coaching staff is going. 

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why are we cutting all the half competent dirt cheap guys?

Obviously the coaching staff is going. 

They all suck, at least to me.  If we draft in the top 10 they can all be replaced and positions upgraded. Even more savings.

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

www.firegute.com

Great site, highly recommend

Why the **** do you bother cutting McCray? I know everyone who isn't a good starter can be replaced by anyone on the street to casuals but he's fine depth?

Philbin may have done a damn fine job here.  I was impressed with how close he kept us against the Bears.  I wouldn't have hated it if he took us to the postseason and was retained.

Now?  Start the search.

Wont be happy or mad if Petrine stays.  Everyone else has gots to gyo.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

COACHES:

Already gone from the end of last season are: Mike McCarthy, Head Coach; Winston Moss, Associate Head Coach; Dom Capers, Defensive Coordinator; Mike Trgovac, Defensive Line Coach; Darren Perry, Safeties Coach; Tim McGarigle, Defensive Quality Control Coach; Edgar Bennett, Offensive Coordinator; Alex Van Pelt, QBs Coach; and Luke Getsy, WRs Coach.

PLAYERS:

Already gone from the end of last season are:

QB:  Joe Callahan, Brett Hundley; RB: Joe Kerridge, Devante Mays, Ty Montgomery, Aaron Ripkowski; WR: Michael Clark, Jeff Janis, Jordy Nelson; TE: Emmanuel Byrd, Richard Rodgers; OL: Jahri Evans; DL: Quinton Dial; OLB: Vince Biegel, Ahmad Brooks, Chris Odom; ILB: Joe Thomas; CB: Donatello Brown, Josh Hawkins, Lenzy Pipkins, Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins; S: Morgan Burnett, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Marwin Evans, Jermaine Whitehead; P: Justin Vogel; and LS: Brett Goode.

FRONT OFFICE:

After the 2018 Draft I am not happy with Gutekurst. He had  Blue Chip players on the board that fell to GB at #14, Like Darwin James and Tremaine Edmunds, and he traded out for a first round pick next year that now looks like it may be #32.

13 minutes ago, SAM said:

After the 2018 Draft I am not happy with Gutekurst. He had  Blue Chip players on the board that fell to GB at #14, Like Darwin James and Tremaine Edmunds, and he traded out for a first round pick next year that now looks like it may be #32.

Woah, careful now. You sound like me.

16 minutes ago, SAM said:

Not sure how we could be upset with what we got in the first round. We basically moved up 4 spots and got a extra first round pick, and got a good player with that pick in Alexander with every bit of talent as those other guys. We were paper thin at corner as well. Even if the pick is 32, it's still a high draft pick. Don't think just because the Saints are playing well diminishes it. Be thankful it wasn't a 2nd rounder, that would have been worse.

37 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Wont be happy or mad if Petrine stays

I'll be ecstatic if we keep him. He's the real deal. To do what he did all season with subpar talent is astounding. The offense and ST didn't do this defense any favors today. But the defense still played good enough for the Packers to steal a win. Pattine put guys in position to make plays but they missed tackles and whiffed on sacks which would've kept some  points off the board. If this guy had the talent this is a top 10 defense for sure.

20 minutes ago, SAM said:

Forgetting about the Blue Chip CB we chose ?  A position much more important to boot.

26 minutes ago, SAM said:

I dunno .. the guy we wound up with, Jaire Alexander has the look of a future shutdown CB in this league.  That kind of player is worth a bundle in the NFL.  I loved those two guys you mentioned, but I think we did well with Alexander .. plus that Saints first in '19 could be another nice piece.  We also used pick #147 as part of a deal to get Oren Burks.  Burks is basically getting a redshirt season, so we'll have to see if he can make a big jump from year one to two.  All told the deal with the Saints looks like a win so far.

I've made myself clear on who should stay and who should go on the roster. I'm for a deeper cut than many. Here is what we need at a bare minimum next year via draft or free agency. 

QB: Good to go IMO. Roll with Kizer or Boyle as the back up. 

RB: Jones and Williams but we need another RB. Could be a vet who was cut as I'm not for using a top pick on a RB. Maybe a 6th or 7th but nothing higher.

WR: I'd roll with what we have minus Cobb. I wouldn't re-sign him. If you could get one of those crazy speed, small guys to use like a Cohen or Hill, I"m OK, but not before round 4. 

TE: Need at least one and Tonyan to make a leap and be a rotational TE. If he can't we need 2. OK with Kendrick's coming back on a small deal. That is if we keep Jimmy Graham whose not been close to earning his money. 

OL: We need to draft 3 offensive linemen, one in the first 2 rounds. Our tackle position outside of Bak is a mess. Anybody defending Bulaga and his availability is nuts. Guys I'd invite back to compete in spring training. Bak, Taylor and Linsley are locks. McCray, Spriggs, Patrick, Madison (if he's interested)

DL: Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams and Looney. Love to have Wilkerson back at less than the 5 million he got this year. We have a bonafide stud in Clark. Lancaster did not embarrass himself today by any means. Lowry has been solid and Daniels needs to come back healthy. Love to have another stud, but don't think we go that way in round 1 and by 2 they are probably gone. 

EDGE: We basically have nothing. You can't count on Perry. Fackrell and Gilbert are just JAGs. Matthews is so through and Donnerson can't get on the field yet he's a freak athlete. Need 3 guys brought in between free agency and draft.

ILB: Martinez needs to be extended. Fackrell might be better inside. Burks is an unknown athletic freak. Does Josh Jones move down to linebacker? Jake Ryan, strictly a run defender, I'd let him walk. Need 1 in free agency IMO or roll with Martinez, Fackrell, Burks and Jones which wouldn't be the worst thing. 

S: Pretty much a **** show. Do we assume Josh Jackson moves to free safety? Have to cut Williams in my opinion. Brice is a back up safety IMO. Could be serviceable at strong safety as he's best in the box. No idea what we have in Green and Campbell, but we need to address this position. If we were to go and get on in free agency, let's not go for a mid-tier guy. Let's get a stud. Need 2 new guys at least. 

CB: Assuming Jackson moves to S we still have Alexander (stud #2 in the making), King (can he stay healthy because he can play if he does), Brown and nobodies. Need to get Breeland back IMO. Even if we do that we need another CB if Jackson goes to safety. By the way, if he's moving to safety, he needs to do a better job of tackling than the effort on Robinson today. That was embarrassing. 

special teams: Nobody should be safe. The coach should be gone, but everyone needs serious competition. 

Minimum we need: 1 RB, 1 WR (bonus), 2 TE, 3 OL, 1 DL (bonus), 3 EDGE, 2 S, 1 CB. That is a big ask, but not insurmountable as many only need to be mid-tier or lower tier free agents like CB, RB, 1 TE and 1 S. 

35 minutes ago, SAM said:

Are you saying Alexander is not a blue chip player, because he definitely is. 

Archived