What does everyone do for a living?

BayRaider

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Software development salaries have gone nuts where people are getting like $250k/year in San Fran. It's a stereotype of software devs (though obviously most people don't make that much.)

They get paid that much due to the cost of living in San Fran.  Even then the average salary for a software developer in San Fran is actually 124k based off of Glass Door.  Those that get 250k are likely have some highly specialized areas of expertise like machine learning.  Even then 125k in San Fran is probably closer to 60k in a lot of urban areas.

• Like 1

Navy Veteran,

Worked in the "real world for many years"

In my 25th year as a high school social studies teacher.  (American Government, AP Human Geography and Contemporary History through Film.)  I also work on the side as a Public Address Announcer, having done our district's football and soccer games for the last decade, along with having announced volleyball for 4 years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raves said:

They get paid that much due to the cost of living in San Fran.  Even then the average salary for a software developer in San Fran is actually 124k based off of Glass Door.  Those that get 250k are likely have some highly specialized areas of expertise like machine learning.  Even then 125k in San Fran is probably closer to 60k in a lot of urban areas.

Yep that's the stereotype, which I wouldn't expect to be pervasive. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

2nd grade English teacher in Austin now....literally less than 6 months ago though I was a comedian in Chicago just working like 15 hours a week at an afterschool program...Moved out here with a girlfriend and have to get my comedy rep up in the southwest to make a living.

So I hassled the software devs on salary...so I've gotta say it.

Tell us a joke.

• Like 3