Week 15 GDT: Saints (11-2) @ Panthers (6-7)

Canadian Saint

3 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

All that matters is home field. Well that and getting Ginn and the OL healthy. 

That's all we need. Get the offensive line back in shape and get our deep threat back, and then our offense should get back to normal. And if the defense keeps playing like this, I think we're all good.

Yall are sure complaining a lot.

For years and years and years the narrative about the Saints has been they can't win on the road. Or they can't win when the offense isn't going at 100%, their defense can't be trusted, etc. etc. Now we just went on the road and played one of the most physical teams in the NFL in a game that was almost entirely between the hashmarks, with brutal hits on almost every play and we won a game that traditionally, we don't win.

Not worried about the offense. Our last two games are at home and all we have to do is go 1-1 to secure the #1 seed and home field. They'll get the offense figured out and being at home for 5 weeks straight sure doesn't hurt anything. Get Armstead and Ginn back and it's even better.

I think the offense can bounce back, but they just haven't really been the same since the win over Philly. The Oline health and lack of WR production have been huge issues. But if we can get a first round bye, I think that rest could be what the team needs. MAJOR kudos to our defense which has been amazing so far. Eli Apple is proving to have been a great pick up, him and Lattimore are getting it done. Not enough can be said about the overlooked addition of Mike Nolan as the LB coach. has these boys working. Demario Davis is looking like the FA addition of the year in the NFL. DLine is getting lots of pressure all over. Just playing like a great unit over all. I think the Offense can get back on track.

First off, welcome back @whodatworm23. I thought maybe your boat sunk.

My biggest concern is that we are not establishing the run early enough. Payton clearly doesn't trust the team unless we're up 2-3 possessions.

2nd concern is the lack of follow through by the receivers. So many dropped passes, not tucking the ball in, not boxing out defenders. I can't put this on Brees, he's doing better than most at getting the ball in a tight window, it's up to the receivers to complete the action.

Perhaps O-Line health takes care of most of this, I don't know.

This was a YUGE will on the road, despite not being pretty.

WhoDat!

Just like they said during the game, you can’t hang a 50 burger on everybody you play.  There’s gonna be tough games, especially against divisional opponents that play as physical as Carolina.  This is what good teams do.  They win tough games like this. We aren’t used to winning these kinds of games, but the good teams have been doing it for years.

I know it was said earlier in the year, but this isn’t our 2011 offense.  Stats are inflated this year, and we aren’t nearly as deep on offense.  There’s an enormous drop off after Thomas and Kamara, and Brees is clearly past his physical prime.  We need to be able to win games like this.

If our offense has to go through a rough patch and we have a few injuries to deal with, let's do it now. There's still a "next week" for two more games. I'd rather be a little rusty and a bit off right now than middle-end of January when there is no next week for months. And winning tough games on the road against a division opponent fighting for their playoff lives? I'll take that by 3 or by whatever it is.

11 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

First off, welcome back @whodatworm23. I thought maybe your boat sunk.

My biggest concern is that we are not establishing the run early enough. Payton clearly doesn't trust the team unless we're up 2-3 possessions.

2nd concern is the lack of follow through by the receivers. So many dropped passes, not tucking the ball in, not boxing out defenders. I can't put this on Brees, he's doing better than most at getting the ball in a tight window, it's up to the receivers to complete the action.

Perhaps O-Line health takes care of most of this, I don't know.

This was a YUGE will on the road, despite not being pretty.

WhoDat!

Agreed. There was 1 touchdown yesterday. It came on a drive in which we ran the ball 6 times. We scored our first field goal on a drive in which Kamara returned the ball 50 yards, followed by a 22 yard Mark Ingram run, which put us in field goal range after the drive stalled passing the ball. Our final drive of the game we ran the ball 9 times, and made it inside the 5 yard line (Then Tommy Lee Lewis fumbled). We had several drives stall out passing the ball last night. That wasn't all on Brees though. He had several drops and unlucky bounces to deal with (Dan Arnold tipping the ball for the interception). I do agree though regarding the OL, getting Terron Armstead back is going to be huge for us.

We'll be fine guys. 

This was our 3rd straight road game and against a team/coach playing for their lives. Our offense has had a rough go at it lately, but getting Ginn back and a healthy OL will help so much going into the playoffs. We could really use that deep threat.

Our bye week was early in the season so there's been no rest lately, getting the bye week in the playoffs will provide some much needed rest. Defense has been playing out of their damn minds lately. We get the #1 seed and we go to the Super Bowl, in my book. 

And if you think we've played sloppy lately just look across the aisle at the Rams, losing at home to the Eagles (a team we beat 48-7...) and scoring 6 points vs Chicago. It's December and teams are slowing down or picking it up, hard to keep going at full speed all season, but the playoffs are a reset, like when we lost 3 straight but won the SB. Bottom line is with our defense in it's current shape, our offensive talent when healthy, SP, and the #1 seed I feel confident vs anyone.

Main thing is we need that bye and some OL guys getting healthy. We didn't have anybody left last night after Bushrod and Unger both got knocked out of the game. We didn't even have a sixth OL to run out for a jumbo set. I thought they did OK considering, but we're not going to be able to do much on offense with no #2 WR and the whole left side of the OL missing.

8 hours ago, nolaexpat said:

We need to be able to win tough games like this when things don’t go well. I’ll take the W thank you. Also 1 win from home field advantage. Be a huge relief to beat Pit next week and rest everyone in 17. Our Oline needs a break for sure. 

If they clench home field next week, could it be........Teddy time?!

1 hour ago, Destructo Spin said:

Main thing is we need that bye and some OL guys getting healthy. We didn't have anybody left last night after Bushrod and Unger both got knocked out of the game. We didn't even have a sixth OL to run out for a jumbo set. I thought they did OK considering, but we're not going to be able to do much on offense with no #2 WR and the whole left side of the OL missing.

Any word on Bushrod? I remember hearing Unger was being evaluated for a concussion, but I don't think they ever said why Bushrod left?

58 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

If they clench home field next week, could it be........Teddy time?!

Hopefully. Drew needs a break and cigar with a strong whiskey. Or whatever it is he does to release stress. Also our entire Oline should be given the week off. Teddy can snap the ball to himself and run around a lot. Should be fun! :D 

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

Any word on Bushrod? I remember hearing Unger was being evaluated for a concussion, but I don't think they ever said why Bushrod left?

I made a comment in the GDT that Bushrod should’ve been cut on the spot for his execution on one particular play where he let a defender cross him with no resistance whatsoever for a TFL on Kamara. He like put a palm on him and that was it. Idk if he thought it was a pass play or what. He was pulled shortly after that and Peat took over. 

Archived