Has Gregg Williams earned the right to be our next head coach?

brownie man

Has Williams earned the right to be our next HC?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Right now has he done enough to earn the right?

• Yes he should be our next HC based on how our team has played so far
    • No, there is still more he should do before he earns that right

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

But also look at Gregg compared to our last HCs

Romeo, Mangini, Shurmu, Chud, Pettine, Hue

Gregg has shown more talent and ability in these few games than any of them did their entire times here 

I think that means something. 

Mangini could actually coach, his issue was talent evaluation.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think this week and next week will be Greggg’s biggest challenges and best opportunity to make his case.

Being able to dangle the dream of playoffs is low hanging fruit as far as motivation goes.  With being all but eliminated, does the team come out ready to play and fired up, or do they already have their minds on vacations and the off-season?

If they come out fired up and ready to rock the next two weeks, I’d have to believe he has their ear and respect and it’s gonna be hard to can him.

If not, I think it’s entirely possible he was nothing more than the guy in charge when the human boat anchor that is Hue Jackson was cut loose and they may look for a better option.  Not saying he won’t be hired, but they’ll definitely conduct a full search and his being brought back will likely be determined by how interested others are in the job.

It will be really hard to can him if we rip off two more division wins... Even if they are meaningless...

As awesome as this team has been since triple G has taken over, Dorsey owes it to the team and to the fans to explore every possible option in search for the person to put this team in the best possible situation not only for next season but for the foreseeable future. Now if that ends up being Gregg and Freddie then sweet. But we’re jot in any position not to consider every possible option 

6 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

At this point if we can’t get Riley or Arians/Kitchens which is highly unlikely. then gregg should remain coach. 

What’s unlikely about Arians and Kitchens?  One is under contract and the other is practically begging for the job?

Riley I can see as unlikely, but Arians would start tomorrow if they let him.

IMO, here are my thoughts:

1. Greggg has done a FANTASTIC job of changing the culture. In all honesty, if I want an interim head coach, I'd usually always promote my DC because typically, your defensive coaches are fiery, passionate, their players love them, the coaches believe in their players, etc. Greggg has taken the youngest squad in the NFL, who was lacking a clear identity, and thanks to Hueball, had no idea what it was like to "be a professional", and he's shown them, believed in them, helped them finish close games, and done a great job of delegating responsibilities to the other assistants, unlike Hue and Haley the control freaks.

2. No disrespect to him, as I'd definitely bring him in for an interview and consider him, but I think it's time to pass that baton off to whoever is the best coach at developing Baker and the rest of our young talent. If it happens to be Gregggg and his ability to delegate that to a rockstar type of OC, then great, but that also means you're probably looking at losing that rockstar OC in the next 1-3 years as a HC elsewhere.

3. Also, the next 2 games are his extended interview. If we beat Cinci AND Baltimore, then you have to give him strong consideration. He would have led a team with almost no shot at the playoffs to a winning record, they would have proven that they believe in him/grind for him and take pride in winning games because they're professionals, as opposed to about every single Cleveland team I've seen completely throw in the towel and quit.

JMHO

Only thing Greg has earned is the right to interview. 

I like what he has done but what he is doing is what Dorsey talked about last off season. We all thought it was crazy when Dorsey talked about competing for the playoffs last year for this upcoming season. Only thing that hurt this team was Hue but he prolly gave Hue a shot because of Jimmy. When Hue was showing his true colors to Dorsey, Dorsey got into Jimmys ear and told him what has to be done. 

Heck a lot of us hear said the browns had the talent to win at least 6-7 games and thought Hue would hold this team back. 

What Greg is doing is great but still doesn’t give me confident in him in the long run. 

Greg has the ace in the hole when it comes to the interviews with what he has done this season. If he walks out and is hired as full time HC, I wouldn’t be too surprised but if he isn’t, ill be confident in who is picked because it means they beat out Greg with amazing interviews and plan for this team. 

10 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

As awesome as this team has been since triple G has taken over, Dorsey owes it to the team and to the fans to explore every possible option in search for the person to put this team in the best possible situation not only for next season but for the foreseeable future. Now if that ends up being Gregg and Freddie then sweet. But we’re jot in any position not to consider every possible option 

Hue wants to know if he can be the Rooney Rule interview. 

Gregg has earned the DC spot. The issue is whether or not he'd take it after getting the interim HC spot. He's managed to prove he's a coach. He's winning the games he's supposed to win. I would argue that Gregg isn't that good of a coach, but after Hue everything looks like gold. 

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What’s unlikely about Arians and Kitchens?  One is under contract and the other is practically begging for the job?

Riley I can see as unlikely, but Arians would start tomorrow if they let him.

I’m saying it’s highly unlikely we don’t get one of those two. But if we somehow couldn’t get either of them then I’d have the gregg Williams conversations 

12 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Gregg has earned the DC spot. The issue is whether or not he'd take it after getting the interim HC spot. He's managed to prove he's a coach. He's winning the games he's supposed to win. I would argue that Gregg isn't that good of a coach, but after Hue everything looks like gold. 

The way Gregg is performing as a HC. He is either the HC or is else where. I could see some early struggles early on and a potential rif happening. Players thinking, last year we were winning with Greg but now were not with this new guy. Greg could act like he is above the HC because he had more success. I dont think it will be as bad as Hue vs Haley but it could be an issue like those two were. 

Archived