Is Derrick Henry earning a 2nd contract?

KingTitan

the most confusing thing about henry to me is that he's obviously been running harder since the bye week, even before his two breakout games. you can see it on the field; he's just putting more punishment on guys and keeping those feet moving in a way i've literally never seen in his career up to this point. it honestly looks like someone flipped a switch in his head that reminded him that he's 6'3" and 250 lbs. equally important is that his patience and vision over the past two games has been excellent, and if he can keep both of those things up i'd certainly like to keep him. that's a big if, though.

Has he earned a second contract? Absolutely not.

Has he earned the right to be the primary back? Absolutely.

He’s running too well right now to be giving Dion significant carries. He’s been a different back since the bye and obviously entirely different the last two weeks. The power and broken tackles are huge, but what really has stood out is just his ability to fall forward. It’s the difference between a two yard gain and a four yard gain and it’s huge for the offense. 

But yeah, we’re a ways away from a long-term commitment.

You know, a part of me has always felt we've done a disservice to Henry throughout his career. Since high school, he's always had a reputation of being a oldschool workhorse back who needs carries/touches. Since we've drafted him, he's only 5(out of 46) career games (including today and the playoffs) with 20 or more touches.

I'm hoping these past two weeks are a preview of what happens when he is the lead, workhorse back of the team.

I think the main thing is that he’s no longer trying to be a home run hitter, which is obviously a bit ironic since he’s now hitting home runs. He’s no longer looking to just cut everything outside to create something big. As flashy as the 99-yard run was, it’s the willingness to plow up the middle for 4-7 yards that has me most encouraged.

He needs to continue to do what he's been doing these last 2 weeks and in to the playoffs (if we make it) in order to warrant a new contract. If he falls off again, then nope.

He's running with better vision, patience, decisiveness, power, and most importantly, confidence. It's been a pleasure to watch and I would love nothing more than for him to keep it up and earn a new deal.

11 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think the main thing is that he’s no longer trying to be a home run hitter, which is obviously a bit ironic since he’s now hitting home runs. He’s no longer looking to just cut everything outside to create something big. As flashy as the 99-yard run was, it’s the willingness to plow up the middle for 4-7 yards that has me most encouraged.

Yep, don't know if you saw this but he admitted to such.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/16/derrick-henry-scouted-himself-at-the-bye-and-it-worked/

9 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I saw someone else mention it but hadn’t seen it. It’s nice to hear he was able to take an objective look at his game. Shame it took 2+ years lol. 

But man, it sure as fun to watch him play like a 250 pound back.

He's a pretty good piece to have in an offense. He's not a featured back and will never be, but that doesn't mean he lacks value. I think he has earned himself a second contract. He shouldn't be paid top money for the position, though, and I hope they're smart enough to realize he needs to be at the most 1/2 of a complementary backfield. But yeah, he's a good offensive weapon to be featured in your supporting cast.

I said to him: You now have to run as if your career depends on it, because it does," George told Henry. "The rumors of them trying to trade you, that says that they are looking elsewhere. And that's why the bulk of the carries were going to Dion Lewis. And I said: Your career depends on this, so you have to run hard every single play, whether it is one carry, or 25 carries. You have to run like it is your last carry, because it might be. And from that point on, it seems like he's been more determined. My God, this guy has taken off."

He asked me flat-out what I thought about his game," George said. "And I was very honest. I said, look, it's not about you hitting the home run. We know you can hit the home run. It's what you can do consistently between the tackles, and it comes down to one fundamental thing. It comes down to you imposing your will on defenders. You are too big not to use that as your strength. You have to force guys to tackle you. Make one cut and go."

guess we can thank Eddit for the new and improved Henry

23 minutes ago, 615finest said:

guess we can thank Eddit for the new and improved Henry

Man I love Eddie. Still having a major impact on our team to this day. What a leader.

Also gotta really respect Henry for looking in the mirror for his lack of play. Shows the kind of man he is compared to a guy like Rishard who put the ownace on everyone around him and then quit.

On 12/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, titans0021 said:

Has he earned a second contract? Absolutely not.

Has he earned the right to be the primary back? Absolutely.

He’s running too well right now to be giving Dion significant carries. He’s been a different back since the bye and obviously entirely different the last two weeks. The power and broken tackles are huge, but what really has stood out is just his ability to fall forward. It’s the difference between a two yard gain and a four yard gain and it’s huge for the offense. 

But yeah, we’re a ways away from a long-term commitment.

For right now, definitely the primary back. I still am 90% certain we are going to trade him at some point this offseason. JROB can actually get some return on him now that he is trending upwards. So, definitely do not think he earns a second contract from us.

Archived