Week 16: VIKINGS (7-6-1) at Lions (5-9)

swede700

Matt Patricia: "Obviously, Cook, with his explosiveness, he’s dynamic and his ability to move in and out of the line of scrimmage and get out into space and dip in and dip out and kind of create explosive runs out of really nothing is extremely difficult to defend. But then Murray comes in and he can do the same thing with just his power. He has a great stiff arm, he can get downhill, he can get vertical into the defense quickly and he’s a hard guy to tackle."

"I think they have a great combination there in those backs and they use them extremely well and I think they can just keep coming at you from different angles and different looks. They were able to mix in, I would say, a few different personnel groups this past weekend than what they’ve been able to do in the past and I think they did a great job of taking advantage of some of those angles and some of the leverage that they were able to create with the formation and the personnel groupings that they used, which helped them in the run game quite a bit."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Matt-Patricia-on-Vikings-running-backs-126639935/

28 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Matt Patricia:  But then Murray comes in and he can do the same thing with just his power. He has a great stiff arm, he can get downhill, he can get vertical into the defense quickly and he’s a hard guy to tackle."

Isn't our collective criticism of Murray is that he goes down to easily?

Defensive tackle Linval Joseph wasn’t on the Vikings injury report Wednesday, but things took a wrong turn before Thursday’s practice. Joseph did not take part in the session because of a knee injury. It’s not clear when he was injured and there’s been no word from the team about his outlook for Sunday’s game against the Lions.

Linebacker Eric Kendricks was the only other player out of practice for Minnesota Thursday. Kendricks also sat out on Wednesday due to a hamstring injury that caused him to play a season-low 45 snaps against the Dolphins last Sunday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/20/linval-joseph-out-of-practice-with-knee-injury/

Zimmer was being asked about the size of the holes the offensive line created against Miami when he interrupted long enough to say, “They won’t be that big this week” at Detroit.

The Lions allow 115.4 yards rushing per game, good for 16th in the NFL. They gave up 128 to the Vikings in a 24-9 loss on Nov. 4. The Dolphins rank 31st (145.2).

“[Detroit is] a lot better,” Zimmer said. “They’re going to cover up the guards a lot. They got five guys on the line of scrimmage. They’re not playing the wide-9 technique that [Miami] did. There’s going to be a lot of single-high looks where they have the [other] safety down. The linebackers are more downhill, vertical guys.”

http://www.startribune.com/kevin-stefanski-says-his-successful-debut-as-vikings-offensive-coordinator-was-a-group-effort/503280541/

On 12/20/2018 at 11:30 AM, Virginia Viking said:

Isn't our collective criticism of Murray is that he goes down to easily?

My problem with Murray is that he sometimes has the unfortunate habit of running too upright while also spending too long looking for running lanes to open up.  When you're as big as he is, sometimes you just need to find a seam, lower your head and hit it with everything you've got.  This is especially true on short yardage situations like 3rd and 1.  So often in those situations, it looks like he just takes the handoff, walks casually up to the offensive line, and gets tackled.  The coaching staff should have him spend a couple hours a week watching old film of Earl Campbell. 

Second-year linebacker Eric Wilson is likely to see extended time in Kendricks’ absence, along with Ben Gedeon. That puts more responsibility on strongside linebacker Anthony Barr when it comes to communication and being the veteran presence at the linebacker level. Barr usually gets the defensive calls from the sideline, but he will have to be sure to communicate more with Wilson, Gedeon and the defense overall.

Barr: “Eric sets a lot of the fronts and the defense. I’ll call it and then he’ll kind of set it. Without him being in there, it’s more of a group effort. I’m going to have to be a little more vocal in terms of that, trying to get the defense set.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/With-Eric-Kendricks-out-Anthony-Barr-puts-communication-on-himself-126731421/

Nose tackle Linval Joseph will play but could have scaled-back role after missing practice on Wednesday and Thursday with a knee injury that was braced up during Friday’s practice. If Joseph is limited, Jaleel Johnson would see a significantly increased role.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/With-Eric-Kendricks-out-Anthony-Barr-puts-communication-on-himself-126731421/

Archived